Giving back to the community?

Discuss examining Terain, Cities, Industries, Bases, Units and Hex Development here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Propane
Warrant Officer

Giving back to the community?

Post by Propane »

I cannot get the AI to accept any land proposals. I try to give them back land that I captured. It is a free deal. I try to give them the land, and not ask for anything in return. I check that little box tat says "none" for requested. Why won't they take it? Some of the land even has large cities and power plants.
"El protector de liberdad"
ozmono2005
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ozmono2005 »

There was a problem in which the player could end up acculamating whole countries (bit by bit) through this trade and it was fixed after the last update

I think you may have discovered how it was fixed
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Currently we have not found a way to get the AI to accept land trades that would not create a massive exploit potential. We'll continue to look at the issue, but currently the AI simply never thinks a land trade is worth accepting.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

Meabbe the following sollution will solve the territory buying problem. Simply make the prize dependant on request and demand (just like in real like). The more ground a country losses (either by conquest or trading it), the value of it ramaining teritoty should rise. The other way around should also hold true, the more ground a region has gained, the less it will be willing to spend on additional territory. To calculate the current value a country is willing to buy or sell for a piece of land could be a very high value (calculated from a constand (posibly calvulated from starting population x starting gdp x large number) divided by the square root of the total amount of hexes plus any constructions on top of the teritory (roads, factories, cities, population, etc). This way, it will become very hard to buy very large parts of a country since the prise of territory will rise expasionistic as it losses territory.

Total formula would be

hex value = (Resgion_Begin_value / SQR (total_number_of_kex_units_left)) + Construction_value_hex
ozmono2005
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ozmono2005 »

this is deffientely starting to resemble the typical AI threads :-)

I agree
In addition to your suggestion I think that factories value should be added to the hexes based apon their total production capabilities and WM trading value
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

ozmono2005 wrote:this is deffientely starting to resemble the typical AI threads :-)

I agree
In addition to your suggestion I think that factories value should be added to the hexes based apon their total production capabilities and WM trading value
Meabbe it is easier to include the supply level instead. THis way, it will make buying land next to a militairy bases or next to large city very difficult (due to very high expanses) which is exactly what you want. The opposite case in which terriroy that is or alsost out of supply for the computer becomes much cheaper (which is a good thing since it is worthless or even damaging for the AI controled region.

the new formula should then be:

hex value = (Resgion_Begin_value / total_number_of_kex_units_left) + (supply _leve_hex * Economical_value_hex)

To prevent a country beeing split into two halves (due to selling land), the following rule should hold true:

- the supply level of any facility is not allowed to drop due to selling of territory.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

One of the bigger problems with land trades is also that determining the strategic/tactical/emotional worth of the land is much more difficult than just the above.

If a human gets a land trade offer they'll quickly be able to see major issues - oh, you're blocking my access to support an ally; you're trying to get land on the other side of a river to build up on; you're trying to get land within artillery distance of a base; you'll end up cutting off my penninsula from access to the mainland; etc. There's also the emotional factor - giving up land is, in real life, rare.

While it is true that Russia sold Alaska to the US, I'm sure they regretted that later :-) Iraq would not give up Kuwait in exchange for peace in the first Desert Storm, Pakistan and India are still arguing over bits of land, it's taken decades to have Israel consider trading their own captured lands for peace, etc. There are some exceptions (ie, the major trades of land for peace at the end of WWI, or the Egypt-Israel peace accords), but in general nations do not like to give up land, even captured bits.

So should an AI hold on to land "irrationally", ie rejecting a gold-plated offer, or sacrificing a chance at survivial? Yeah, that's a tough argument, but it is not without precedent to say that the AI would die first before giving up land willingly....

-- George.
Fils d'Oît
Private

Post by Fils d'Oît »

The AI doesn't want to sale land easily = good for me !

But the problem is why he doesn't want land offer from me, even for nothing in return ?

Best : I want to give him back his proper territories !!(including his former capital city :wink: ). He lose it during a war he nearly lose before I crush our common ennemy. At that time, there were no treaties, but I want to make him an ally by now. So I want to give him back his native soil (and the people living on it, always faithfull to him after 9 years of occupation, 8 from me, so, logically, decreasing my DAR and costing me more than I earn) :evil: . I try it since the Victory day, for nothing, adding units, money, technologies, more money and his only answer is... No! :o

Something's missing ? do you have a method, or is it only settings limitations?

Return to “Land and Terrain”