City growth

Discuss examining Terain, Cities, Industries, Bases, Units and Hex Development here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

FastBoy101
Captain

City growth

Post by FastBoy101 »

If industries are closer to a city, will this city start growing more?

What's the effect of having a particular city growing on surrounding industries/tiles?

Thanks, I found nothing about this in the (excellent) manual
Big stuff from K5
BigStone
General

Re: City growth

Post by BigStone »

FastBoy101 wrote: What's the effect of having a particular city growing on surrounding industries/tiles?
More peeps = more production

Cheers
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

There's two factors at play here:

- Industries closer to cities: Since Cities are sources of supply, industries closer to big cities tend to generate more output (better supplied). This isn't part of the original question, though.

- Do New Industries help increase the population of the cities around them? Would make sense, but this doesn't currently happen. City populations grown/shrink pretty evenly throughout a territory if affected by immigraiton or emigration.

-- George.

Post by Guest »

Could you guys perhaps make it dynamic?

What I am saying is that, if you place industries near cities that the cities would grow faster and people migrate to the city surroundings faster.

Now if you want to disperse people, you just place cities more evenly throughout the map, encouraging migration to more remote places, increasing supply in those area's. :D

plz plz plz :o
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

I just wished i knew where those immigrates where going i mean i had a million at one time in my region but never saw a change in the cities' population.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Anonymous wrote:Could you guys perhaps make it dynamic?

What I am saying is that, if you place industries near cities that the cities would grow faster and people migrate to the city surroundings faster.

Now if you want to disperse people, you just place cities more evenly throughout the map, encouraging migration to more remote places, increasing supply in those area's. :D
I concur. After playing alot of South America, city expansion in Colombia, Brazil, Peru, Venezuela - and even the Pampas of Argentina - are natural factors for locating ore mines, industries, etc in regions noted as having such Raw Resources. Similar experience with western China (Xinjiang) and some other countries. [And, what about some regions in Siberia!...not yet played.]

The AI needs to have a response that if x number of industries have been located in a zone, a small city develops within the cluster zone. Thats what I call "dynamic".

Thanks for considering the issue.
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

geminiau1corsair wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Could you guys perhaps make it dynamic?

I concur. After playing alot of South America, city expansion in Colombia, Brazil, Peru, Venezuela - and even the Pampas of Argentina - are natural factors for locating ore mines, industries, etc in regions noted as having such Raw Resources. Similar experience with western China (Xinjiang) and some other countries. [And, what about some regions in Siberia!...not yet played.]

The AI needs to have a response that if x number of industries have been located in a zone, a small city develops within the cluster zone. Thats what I call "dynamic".

Thanks for considering the issue.
Well a city doesn't neccesarely need to begin, but cities should already be widespread among the map, than when placing industries or other economical factors into the game, these people should spread faster to these regions and fill up that city faster so that it may grow and increase supply amongst the area surrounding it :-), that would make for a great game, especially long term, planning ahead will be of great importance, 8O, I REALLY hope BG does this :D
geminif4ucorsair
General

New Cities

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

The_Blind_One wrote:Well a city doesn't neccesarely need to begin, but cities should already be widespread among the map, than when placing industries or other economical factors into the game, these people should spread faster to these regions and fill up that city faster so that it may grow and increase supply amongst the area surrounding it :-), that would make for a great game, especially long term, planning ahead will be of great importance, 8O, I REALLY hope BG does this :D
One of the best indicators of the need for this is the trend since WW Two is the growth of suburbs and growth of new cities...literally, new cities. In this category, its instructive to note that San Jose, California is now the 10th largest US city - displacing Detroit.

Seems that in SR2010, Detroit would continue to grow...where the reality in most countries of the world is that small cities in Europe & elsewhere, are becoming the magnets for new populations as industries move out of the old Big Cities absorb a small percentage of a nation's growth.

I can see where SR2010 benefits from co-locating a bunch of new industries around a out-back city - like Belem (Brazil) or Cali (Colombia) - and that that city will grow. But new SR2010 Small Cities are growing up in places of the Amazon, Patagonia, and elsewhere in the world that seem to have been too small to put on the original Game map...hence, with raw material resources often in out-back areas, as players we desire to see new Small Cities rise.

Another example might be Ingleside, Texas, a sleepy port town on the Gulf Coast. But after the USN built a naval base (minesweeper cmd HQ and ships) there, the place has grown by quantum leaps. Another would be the west coast base Malaysia built literally out of the jungle coastline and is now a SR2010 Small City category.

Whatever can be done in creation of New Cities would be welcomed. :-)

So, whatever
Paolo
Lieutenant

Post by Paolo »

I agree with creation of new towns!
But I would like also to see a bit of micro-management of a city. I mean, something like a mini-SimCity or Civilization: you pause the game, set to build some structure, then start again.
If you don't want to care about it, a minister can do: I think it could be a better focus for the social expenses.

Another question: why improvements can't be in adjacent hex? one hex represents a lot of territory (10 or more kilometres)! In such a large area, in real life there are hundreds of medium-size firms. Maybe only a dam or a nuclear power plant needs such a big space.
Agri industries or water works or mines could be much more adjacent.

In any case, just now this is a marvellous game and a good mind challenge! Thank you, BG!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Glad you are enjoying the game.

Your idea of micromanaging cities is interesting but certainly far from our current design. You may want to post that in the wishlist section for future consideration.

As for the facilities not being side by side, this is only on scenarios that use "large" upgrades. Scenarios like Mideast or World are such a large km/hex that we use small upgrades to allow it. While you're correct that a nuclear plant does not really take up as much space as we take, we are trying to simulate the rest of the attached industries such as transformer stations and facilities for power grids. All the numerous buildings that would be included would take up a bit more space. It was also a design decision because a facility draws from not only the hex you build on but from the surrounding hexes as well.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Paolo
Lieutenant

Post by Paolo »

Thank you for your fast answer!
I'm playing the complete game for just one week, so still haven't tried a scenario with small upgrades.

Keep on this way, devs! I like very much your attitude for your fans!

Return to “Land and Terrain”