Unemployment and Inflation

Discussion of the Economic Model in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

sr2010 isn't an econ sim...

The economy is there to flesh out the homeland issues of conquest.
Having lots of trade as an income source might not be a winning strategy as ultimately you will have to conquer your trading partners militarily.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Il Duce wrote:sr2010 isn't an econ sim...

The economy is there to flesh out the homeland issues of conquest.
Having lots of trade as an income source might not be a winning strategy as ultimately you will have to conquer your trading partners militarily.
Wich is a darn darn shame, cause the military is lacking hugely aswell in AI tactics and features. I guess that leaves us with a beautifull skeleton of a real SR2010. I dare you developers create a SR2010 game with long-term perspective! !!!
AtomicBoboli
Warrant Officer

Post by AtomicBoboli »

Il Duce wrote:sr2010 isn't an econ sim...
This is absolutely true. It is about conquest of the world, by any means necessesary. Eventually this will be resolved by force of arms, and all economic considerations are in preparation of this eventuality. Hyperinflation is a universal economic solution, rather easy to trigger, that provides a player with the funds necessary to sustain otherwise unavailable military endeavors. Very nice for someone who does not want to fret over the delicate penny-pinching aspects of the game.

However, that does not mean the economic model should be neglected to favor massive military buildups. I imagine games have more replay value when there is more than one way to play them. Some players do like to push the limits of the engine, playing well into the 2030s and beyond, and it would be ideal, admittedly likely impossible, if SR2010 were capable of handling it.

Of course, it is entirely up to the developer's whims to resolve this issue, barring the unlikely release of the source code. Admittedly, improvements in the economic model may only benefit a relatively small niche of the entire fan base and would probably take second place to more important issues, such as the currently passive AI. But the little things do make the game better (subjectively), one tiny step at a time. Be it battleships, combat walkers and various other units, partisan implementation, 31-player World War 3, European and US scenarios, extra missions, etc...
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

I think you missed the point...

Per the goats' statements, the engine as it is was not intended to extend past around a ten-year stretch. Some of us, myself included, run this out considerable further, despite limitations on the AI that cn not be corrected in the present code. These were the design specs, and they have managed to avoid sullying the product with scope creep. Nonetheless, they participate in these fora with extremely open minds, and I expect that much of what has been discussed here will have an influence on their next product(s).

There are in fact a number of ways to get a 'new game' out of SR2010 - just change regions to the one you beat the heck out of in your last game.

Or... start from a different continent. I have yet to thoroughly explore any of South America (which I hear is quite a challenge), and I never play the North American stuff at all because they have too much luxury in thier budgets.

BTW - there are ways to stabilize inflation such that is remains in a plus-minus .3% range, which your finance minister can easily handle. Stabilize prices and production rates, avoid relying on trade, and concentrate on other things, if you'd like - but inflation is not always a given - at least in update four and later.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
AtomicBoboli
Warrant Officer

Post by AtomicBoboli »

Yeah, I see. I'm familiar with the 10-year statement, and I'm not expecting BG to make a new game out of an old one. Developers don't do that. They've already done a lot thus far, all of which is more than what they're required to do, and I'm grateful for that. And you're right, the limitations works fine for the scope of the game. I can fancy rediculous dreams, though...

My earlier post is pretty confusing, I admit. I've got a hundred things flying through my head and it comes out an incoherent sludge, and I have to apologize for that. In this case, I made the most unfortunate decision to try and view the issue from multiple angles. A side effect of two hours sleep, I suppose.

In my games, I like to role play it, so I try to keep the inflation under control. My current tactic is to aim for slow, steady improvement, hoping that immigration and population growth counter the increase in employment. I'm not always successful, expecially when war breaks out. War scares away immigrants, conscription or not.

South America, eh? I'll give it a try one day. I've mainly fiddled around in Russia, Europe and Southeast Asia. Mainly to try out their military hardware.
jjbond007
Corporal

Post by jjbond007 »

Interesting. I do want to know more about this matter.
“Inflation is as violent as a mugger, as frightening as an armed robber and as deadly as a hit man.”-- Ronald Reagan
http://www.viritix.com <===click and track inflation

Return to “Economics - Treasury Department”