experiments in old economy VS new economy

Discussion of the Economic Model in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

experiments in old economy VS new economy

Post by tkobo »

I am starting this thread to show the vast differences i am finding in the new economic system vs the old system.

I hope to list over time large changes i discover while examining saved games in both economic systmes.

This first extreme case is on a World Map,with the US running a very strong economy.

The plus flow to the treasury starts as 17 trillion in the old economy.

In the new economy,it instantly drops (at pass of the very first day) to only 13 trillion.

A loss of 4 trillion dollars or circa 25% of income.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Re: experiments in old economy VS new economy

Post by The_Blind_One »

tkobo wrote:I am starting this thread to show the vast differences i am finding in the new economic system vs the old system.

I hope to list over time large changes i discover while examining saved games in both economic systmes.

This first extreme case is on a World Map,with the US running a very strong economy.

The plus flow to the treasury starts as 17 trillion in the old economy.

In the new economy,it instantly drops (at pass of the very first day) to only 13 trillion.

A loss of 4 trillion dollars or circa 25% of income.
Isn't that logical?

17 trillion / 500 million = ALOT more than ur gdp/c is
13 trillion / 500 million = almost about ur gdp.

In this game if u look at your ANNUAL INCOME you know what ur NNI (Netto-National Income) is, GDP really only means, the CONSUMPTION of goods, it doens't show how rich u really are.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Okay, til, now, since the last patch ive only played Max difficulty games.
In them the AI seemed to be doing even worse economically than before the patch.

This picture above ,is from a resumed save game with a norm difficulty
Notice how much better the AI is doing economically.
Two AI regions have treasuries that have broken the trillion dollar mark.

Thats excellent.

However the odd thing is its the regions who should be doing the worst, are those that are doing the best.

This suggests to me that the max difficulty needs to be rebalanced some,so that AI regions can achieve this there also.
AND
That the changes made that now make the weaker economic regions more profitable be looked at agian and changed to better reflect the strength of the regions.
Chuckle TM
Seydlitz
Major

Post by Seydlitz »

I started a game with update 2 in Iran. After about 15 years, I was broke, and all the AI regions were well-funded. I loaded it back up after update 3, and within another 8 years, my treasury had broken $200B and the three remaining AI regions were having a race for the -$1 Trillion mark.

The biggest difference between my economy and theirs was that I exported a lot of goods, and was self-sufficient in all, whereas they exported little if anything and imported a lot. Even when I "assisted" them in reducing the size of their military :-) the situation didn't improve much.

This was on normal difficulty.
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

It seems apparent that AI is hurt by its inability to construct new buildings in order to overcome his shortages. For example, if AI has higher demand for oil then his production he should be able to select some unoccupied hex in his region that gives best oil production potential. Same goes for the rest of the buildings and products.

Of course, AI should not build everything at once, but limiting his constriction to one or two (could be made dependant on his industrial goods production/demand and GDP/c, so that rich countries with more industrial potential can develop faster) buildings at the time for the product he has most shortage.
Last edited by Uriens on Nov 24 2005, edited 1 time in total.
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

Uriens wrote:It seems apparent that AI is hurt by its inability to construct new buildings in order to overcome his shortages. For example, if AI has higher demand for oil then his production he should be able to select the some unoccupied hex in his region that gives best oil production potential. Same goes for the rest of the buildings and products.

Of course, AI should not build everything at once, but limiting his constriction to one or two (could be made dependant on his industrial goods production/demand and GDP/c, so that rich countries with more industrial potential can develop faster) buildings at the time for the product he has most shortage.
The devs already commented on that a while back. SR wasnt meant to be played as many gameyears that most of us do. Making the AI aware of what and where it can and should build is a very very difficult programming and maybe not even worth the time. Humans have the ability to plan ahead for such a long time. I dont think you will find it easy to figure out a flow-plan for the AI to make decisions like this.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

I could be wrong, but i "think" the devs have said something about working on getting the AI to upgrade existing buildings,which will help some.
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

tkobo wrote:...said something about working on getting the AI to upgrade existing buildings...
That is correct, and building facilites from scratch is still on our wishlist as well.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Maxed out AI's

Post by Eric Larsen »

Uriens wrote:It seems apparent that AI is hurt by its inability to construct new buildings in order to overcome his shortages.....

Uriens,
I too can't wait for the patch that fixes AI's so that they can build economic and military facilities. Only problem with that is if it works like the military AI that tries to fill every build slot for military units and missiles on the very first turn then I can see the AI's going nuts building every possible facility it can on the first turn. Just imagine how screwed up the AI's will become on turn 1 when they can build not only military stuff but also facilities.

Hopefully when BG fixes the AI's to build facilities they will also fix the AI's so they don't go nuts on turn 1 building everything under the sun and totally screwing up their economies on the first turn. I've found that building a little each day works better and helps keep from going negative on the budget.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

Don't get me wrong. I am, indeed, looking forward to patch 4 but no more or less then mainly everybody else. At the moment I still enjoy playing the game and I don't want to sound like all I do is complain. This is great game right now and there is no reason not to have a blast with it before patch 4. I most certainly don't want devs to rush patch 4 - it's done when it's done is good enough for me. :D

All I wanted to do is suggest something that would make this game even better. :-)

Return to “Economics - Treasury Department”