voodoo economics

Discussion of the Economic Model in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Displaying historical data is a popular request (or at least Chris has been bugging me about it for two years), though given all the other things we're hoping to add it hasn't made it to the top of the list. The AI and Minister use more 'forward-looking' algorithms and as such they don't need Historical info available.

Regarding data such as workforce participation etc, these details are actually available from the engine, but there is already so much information presented - I'm not sure we'd really be looking to add another 'economic detail stats' page. I'm not convinced this will add a lot more usable info on top of what we already provide (like the base unemployment rate), but I may be wrong.

As far as inflation goes, as I mentioned in another thread I think our model for it is more realistic regarding 'short term' effects (less than 10 years). After that, we don't really simulate the long-term inflation issues very well, since it gets to the limits of how long we expect most games to last. As well as the fact that many economists disagree on exactly what the effect of long term inflation would be in a modern economy.

-- George.
ozmono2005
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ozmono2005 »

George Geczy wrote: Regarding data such as workforce participation etc, these details are actually available from the engine, but there is already so much information presented - I'm not sure we'd really be looking to add another 'economic detail stats' page. I'm not convinced this will add a lot more usable info on top of what we already provide (like the base unemployment rate), but I may be wrong.
-- George.
I feel oblidged to try and convince you. :-) Seriously I agree in some ways. The extra info like un/employment stats and avaliability plus other economic stats wouldn't add alot to the begginer. (IN FACT WOULD BE A NEGATIVE ASPECT, due to the possiable "In your face complexity" atmosphere that it may lead some to feel. BUT again if it wasn't very accessiable from the main interface then it could satisfy some without allienating others(I know its ironic intentionally making something harder to find)

BUT I do think that people such as the people in this thread(which has been going on for ages) would benefit from some additional economic stats, so they can understand some of the finer points but I also get the impression that the people on this thread would be able/willing to look for those THUS they could achieve this without suggesting "in your face complexity" The majority of players wouldn't have to see them(unless they were intentially looking for them and thus these EXTRAS wouldn't run the risk of overwelhming anyone but still satisfy some people wants.

EDIT: But then again I don't know your plans for the future, time required to do such things and how far your planning/wanting to take SR2010(by that I mean, sequels expansions so forth.)
Fordson
Captain

Post by Fordson »

I agree with the last post. I don't want more info, but I am willing to dig through what is available if it was stored someplace. Even if the engine opened a text file once a day and dumped the data. I am a programmer and would love to build an app that would organize/analyze/chart existing info.

CSV data dump would allow direct import to various apps as well.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

A CSV data dump is a way to get you data, but it would pull you away from the game, don't you think? There is something called 'suspension of disbelief' when it comes to books, movies, games etc. If you have to ALT+TAB to go to windows to get more data you would lose this feeling, this suspension of disbelief and this takes away from gameplay.
ozmono2005
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ozmono2005 »

especially if you were playing the world map without a CPU without HT :-)
That would definetely create a "suspensention of disbelief" :-)
Fordson
Captain

Post by Fordson »

You are correct in the suspension belief thing, but I am thinking something may be better than nothing. Of course I am dreaming that even this would ever be done. The devs say that this is it.

Return to “Economics - Treasury Department”