Least of all evils

Discussion of the Economic Model in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

When in a financial tight spot, would you rather increase taxes, taking a hit on approval ratings, or take out a loan ,costing interest and making you dependant on another player?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Both ! :smile:

If Im in that tight a spot that i need to do one,I might as well do both and give myself a bit of a buffer for the next time.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

SR2010 also has the interesting option of earning money through trade of goods, especially if you have something (oil, food, ore, whatever) that other regions need.

It should be interesting to see how 'making money on the commodity markets' will effect game play for players that choose to try that approach.

-- George.

<Lead Programmer, BattleGoat Studios>
Ashbery76
Major

Post by Ashbery76 »

As i understand certain scenario's will have just the regional map not the world, how will the rest of the world be simulated, will you be able to trade with off map countries.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

For all regional scenarios we employ the "World Market" to reflect the rest of the world. In our story line this is like a combo of the UN, IMF, World Bank, NATO, and a bunch of others into one mega organization. It would also provide a commodity exchange with the rest of the world, allowing you to buy and sell goods outside of the scenario's region.

-- George.
Reddemon
Lieutenant

Post by Reddemon »

Okay let me throw something at you here maybe you can shed some light on my thinking.

Since we are dealing with economics is it possible to control all the uranium mines in the world thus giving me the upper hand on building nuke weapons. This way the AI cant build nukes so leaves me to threaten the world into submission for my total dominance of the world. :smile: (damn i dream big :smile: )
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Since we are dealing with economics is it possible to control all the uranium mines in the world thus giving me the upper hand on building nuke weapons. This way the AI cant build nukes so leaves me to threaten the world into submission for my total dominance of the world.
Yes, we allow you to do this, but it isn't easy.

When battling in a regional scenario, the "World Market" represents other parts of the world not on the map, and they are usually willing to sell to any interested buyer. Though there will be restrictions here - if you signed a Nuclear non-proliferation treaty and they think you're building nukes, they may stop selling uranium to you...

At the "world battle" level, it is possible to control the market by controlling all uranium-producing regions, but that's a lot of ground to control - Canada, Australia, US, Russia, and a few others all produce Uranium.

Though an interesting option we provide is the ability to target attacks such as bombing raids on specific installations - take out the enemy's Uranium mines if you can, etc.

-- George.
Reddemon
Lieutenant

Post by Reddemon »

Thanks for the reply :smile: you just shattered my dreams :sad: (j/k) Well at least the option is there to try that is more then most other games.

:smile:
ilkhan
Warrant Officer

Post by ilkhan »

Are Tarifs and there positive and negitive affects in game?? Remember most of the Unions costs in the civil war were covered by Tarifs.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

We do incorporate a system of Import/Export taxes. They are not applied to government trade, but do generate income from "civilian trade" that happens in the background of the game.
FastBoy101
Captain

Post by FastBoy101 »

Is it possible to simply decide that you WONT pay (for whattever reasons, from "I fancy" to "You changed regime")? Of course, it'd have quite an impact on the trust of others and your reputation.

This was done many times, like Germany before 2nd WW, France after the Revolution, Russia... many others.
BulMaster
Warrant Officer

Post by BulMaster »

Yeah will you be able to impose a moratorium on repaying your foreign debt?

A historical fact - after WW1, Germany was suppose to pay reparations until 1989 :razz:
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Yes you will be able to stop payments, but there might be consequences...

Return to “Economics - Treasury Department”