Currency?

Discussion of the Economic Model in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

Will countries have different currnecy or will it be one set one? Additionally if there are different currencies will the computer automatically do the calculations etc for us and are there factors that determine the value of ac ountries currency?
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

For simplicity of gameplay there will only be one currency (World Market Dollars). It would have been neat to have to worry about exchange rates, but very early on we decided it would just be too complicated.

For Localization - we might be changing the Dollar Sign to other symbols for local flavour.
guyver
Sergeant

Post by guyver »

You could just make it an otion so you can choose wether you want euro's, dollars or yen.

I would choose euro's ofcourse :smile:
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Yes, the currency symbol is intended to be a game option, so that players can reset it if they don't like their own language's defaults.

As David mentioned, the use of different currencies really didn't add much gameplay wise, except for maybe that small niche market of real-world currency traders... Given experiences with the Euro eliminating a number of world currencies, it would not be difficult to forsee a single unified world currency. Maybe not as early as 2010 in the real world, but these days anything is possible...

-- George.
ardem
Lieutenant

Post by ardem »

wow it be a first that the australian dollar will buy me something hahahahahah
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

World Market Dollar
WMD.... quite possibly someone is going to mix this up!

1: "my country makes 200M WMD every MONTH!"
2: "oh my ******* lord, im not invading you...."

lol
Koheleth
Corporal

Post by Koheleth »

[quote="BattleGoat"]For simplicity of gameplay there will only be one currency (World Market Dollars). It would have been neat to have to worry about exchange rates, but very early on we decided it would just be too complicated.

For Localization - we might be changing the Dollar Sign to other symbols for local flavour.[/quote]

If you have country-specific inflation in the game, having a single currency doesn't make ANY sense at all.
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

Koheleth wrote: If you have country-specific inflation in the game, having a single currency doesn't make ANY sense at all.
True.
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

If you have country-specific inflation in the game, having a single currency doesn't make ANY sense at all.
Inflation isn't uniform in all 50 states all the time is it? No.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Agree with slash.Single currency doesnt automactically mean all those using it suffer the same economic problems.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Koheleth
Corporal

Post by Koheleth »

[quote="tkobo"]Agree with slash.Single currency doesnt automactically mean all those using it suffer the same economic problems.[/quote]

With respect to inflation, it does. Think about it. If everything cost more in NJ than PA by 25% because of "NJ inflation" than people in NJ would just run across the border to buy until prices fell in NJ and rose in PA such that they equalled each other.

Inflation, by definition, must be uniform EVERYWHERE a single currency is used.

To answer the previous question, YES inflation is uniform in the 50 US states.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

The $ could be viewed as an international pricing curency like crude oil is priced in $ around the world.

Also, inflation can vary regionally on different items, although they have the same currency. In the UK house price inflation varies from north to south, admittedly house prices are special case.

But some countries have unofficially and officially adopted $ as a currency partly because they have had sky-high inflation. (Latin American countries amongst others)
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Koheleth wrote:
With respect to inflation, it does. Think about it. If everything cost more in NJ than PA by 25% because of "NJ inflation" than people in NJ would just run across the border to buy until prices fell in NJ and rose in PA such that they equalled each other..
I dont know where yuo live, but thats exactly what happens in PA and NJ.
I lived in NJ for over 30 years and PA for over 10 years now.
I can tell you for a fact that people in NJ who travel to PA buy their meat and many other groceries in PA.BECAUSE despite both being states, and both using the same dollor,many things are less expensive in PA.
I and my parents before me bought hundreds of dollars of meat, bread and other produce in PA during our regular trips here, before they and later I moved here.
And it did raise the price some in PA, but it never equaled out wiht the NJ prices.Never over 50 + years.
It couldnt,becuase the PA economy would have colapsed if the people living in PA had to pay NJ prices.
Koheleth wrote: Inflation, by definition, must be uniform EVERYWHERE a single currency is used.
No it doesnt.Heres a definaition of Inflation -

"A persistent increase in the level of consumer prices or a persistent decline in the purchasing power of money, caused by an increase in available currency and credit beyond the proportion of available goods and services."

i can post 3 more,none of which say what you claim.

Notice its based on available currency ,credit and goods. ALL of which vary from area to area, regardless of wether or not the currency is the same.
i can rent a 3 bedroom home in parts of Pa for $400 a month. In other parts of PA that same size home could cost $800 a month.
One place i lived in NJ i payed $600 a month for a one bedroom apartment.
All areas used the same currency,the dollar. But because the standard of living in each area was different, because the availability of jobs and pay was different the costs of things were different.
Just look at the crisis with the cost of housing in CA atm.

Hell, just look at the costs of things and the inflation that took place in gold rush areas vs the areas far from them.
Look at the inflation rate during the claifornia gold rush IN california and compare it to the inflation rate in NJ at the same time.
Nothing proves you wrong better than this.

Koheleth wrote: To answer the previous question, YES inflation is uniform in the 50 US states
i m sorry but your wrong. Just visit a state website and look up its inflation rate.They list different ones in different states.
When the Government (feds) issue a statement on inflation its based on the average inflation as known in the 50 states.
Its not a set number that pertains to all areas of all states.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
clayog123
Sergeant

Post by clayog123 »

To: tkobo

thank you ! :)

To: Koheleth

wait for the opportunity to play this economic model first hand. I believe you will be suprised. :)
Koheleth
Corporal

Post by Koheleth »

[quote="tkobo"]
[/quote]

With all due respect, do you have a Masters in Economics? Leave the study of inflation to those who do.

The state-by-state inflation calculated in the CPI isn't necessarily reflective of true inflation It factors in things like housing prices, which are localized and depend on basic supply and demand at a local level. Other prices can be manipulated easliy by government policies such as subsidies and regulations, but these don't affect general prices.

Over the years, these things even out. NJ does not, and cannot, have a persistently higher level of general inflation than PA. It's IMPOSSIBLE.

Price-shocks (i.e. one-time increases in the price of certain goods) can exist outside of the money-supply, but this isn't properly considered inflation. For example, if oil jumps from $20 a barrel to $40, the price of goods will have a one-time increase -- but NO futher increases, unless oil increases more.

True inflation (persistent increases in prices) occurs ONLY due to increases in the money supply. Read Friedman. Hell, read Mankiw.

Return to “Economics - Treasury Department”