What the hell affects GDP?!?

Discussion of the Economic Model in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

General_Jah
Sergeant

What the hell affects GDP?!?

Post by General_Jah »

I'm playing the Yucatan scenario and I just conquired one of the territories. My GDP is doing awesome, higher than it's ever been, I'm making a bunch of money. So I decide to invest a bunch of money across the board, industry effeciency, lots of new industries, building tanks, and research. You would think this alone would create jobs and increase my GDP?!? But is tanking and fast... it's lower than before I took over this damn territory. I've tried slashing my taxes to below 15% to encourage job growth but it's still tanking. On top of this I've had negative inflation to whole game, like 25%. What hell affects all this crap? I mean I've had my economy rocking, in terms of money coming in, over long periods of time. And these values have always sucked. Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Well, there are a number of factors that affect the GDP but the problem may be the map. There is a mistake in the values for Mexico. The cost of Electricity is around 10 Million per kw/h instead of the usual 50-100$. We've fixed this on our side but haven't sent out the updated map.

Back to the GDP question. Having too few jobs for the number of people you have is usually the key factor in a falling GDP. The more the gov. spreads around money, the more of it get's back to the people. Your ideas where correct. How's your unemployment? If you started as Yucatan and captured one of the others you've almost tripled your population. Has your capacity for jobs gone up as well? If you want to send me a save game I could make more comments but as I said, anything with Mexico is suspect at them moment.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
General_Jah
Sergeant

Post by General_Jah »

Thanks for the input. I emailed you the saved game.

What about negative inflation? I haven't been able to get rid of this the entire game even when I was rolling in the dough.
Flame
Sergeant

Post by Flame »

**disclaimer**
I'm not a beta tester, so I dont know how it works in the game
/end disclaimer

The way deflation works in the real world is that you have alot of goods for sale, but very little money to buy them with. That causes the price of goods to fall.

......is there anyway to print more money in the game?
red
General

Post by red »

Printing money isn't handled. Actually, the world is on a single currency.

Money really isn't your solution to negative inflation (deflation). You need to create enough jobs for your workforce. Only when more of the population has money to spend will it create inflation. Almost all jobs are created by building industry (though if you really need it, increasing the size of your active military). Just keep building those mines and factories and it should reverse.
lordrune
Lieutenant

Post by lordrune »

I suspect also that social services spending and research spending create jobs. Although it's hard to verify this in practice.
Penta
Lieutenant

Post by Penta »

It'd be immensely helpful if I could see how many jobs each facility employed.
dizzycow
Sergeant

Post by dizzycow »

Penta wrote:It'd be immensely helpful if I could see how many jobs each facility employed.
agree. last day I was playing yellow player on texsas map and I builded 20% industry, 20% consumer, 60% and a 70% water and one forester still ppl lost their jobs. I also builded a medium base and a orbital satilit luncher. I had normal taxes (50%) and I cuted sosial (should be positiv to work)

I did not take any other ai players

Return to “Economics - Treasury Department”