Suggestions how to improve economic UI

Discussion of the Economic Model in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

herr neumann
Captain

Post by herr neumann »

Two small suggestions:
1) I noticed that there is free space in the lower part of 'Review Expenses' panel (Panel 5-3-2). It shouldn't be left unused. My biggest gripes (?) are about 'production costs'. This item is always the biggest and most obscure one in the budget expenses. My suggestion would be to divide it into 'production' and 'investment' (assuming that currently investment costs are part of 'production costs' . It would make it bit more transparent.

2) There seems to be no info about maintanance costs before you have actually built the upgrade (correct me if I'm wrong). In most cases the maintanance costs are not very high and it is not important to know it. But in some cases, especially in 'first world' scenarios, where GDP is very high, the maintanance for some factories is well beyond 1 billion per year. This number is high enough to consider before actually building the upgrade.

So my suggestion is to include estimated maintanace costs either to 'construction estimates' panel (Panel 6-select specific industry-1) - there is enough free space for it.
Or even better on 'Confirm upgrade placement' popup because this is the place there you set the production level of the upgrade and maintatnace cost depends on it.

No, I won't stop making suggestions just as you finally want to lock the interface. On the contrary, most of my (groundbreaking) UI improvement suggestions I will make two days before the release. :grin: Ain't I evil.
Vesson
Warrant Officer

Post by Vesson »

I agree... Production is usually so monolithic compared to all the other expenses that you may as well just delete some small one like sales tax... I would rather see a nice big uncluttered FULL SCREEN income / expense display... u guys seem pretty adverse to that for some reason? We're not playing doom, and don't really need to see the whole playing screen all the time...

:???:
R0B3E
Warrant Officer

Post by R0B3E »

Hopefully the manual will clear up some of those questions on investment, production & maintenance costs. It seems to be related to capacity of the hex. In other words, the more of a resource that is in the ground, the higher the production, the production cost and the maintenance cost.

Following up on Herr Neuman, what is the impact of increasing the investment slider on a particular resource? Are efficiency & capacity related?

Also, am I seeing this right, that when I build a road to a mine, then the efficiency goes up due to better supply?
red
General

Post by red »

R0B3E wrote:Following up on Herr Neuman, what is the impact of increasing the investment slider on a particular resource? Are efficiency & capacity related?

Also, am I seeing this right, that when I build a road to a mine, then the efficiency goes up due to better supply?
Capacity is the absolute maximum units an installation is capable of producing. As far as I know efficiency is the percentage of this capacity that is realized. Improving supply by constructing highways and rails does increase production, though with the way it's presented it almost looks like the increase is in capacity and not efficiency? Then again the Capacity figure we see when building a unit may really be maximum capacity and efficiency already?
herr neumann
Captain

Post by herr neumann »

So, before you totally lock the interface - what do you think about abovementioned suggestions?

Return to “Economics - Treasury Department”