Poll on time and tech research

Discuss Research and Social Aspects of the game here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

What time periods do you consider good for completion of the tech tree ?

1) Never. The tech tree should be something that never ends
35%
2) large regions should be able to complete the tech tree in a campaign or 15 years
35%
3) large regions shoudl be able to complete the tech tree in 10 years, small regions 15years
20%
4) large regions should be able to complete the tech tree in 5 years, small regions 10 years
10%
5) large regions should be able to complete the tech tree in 2 years or a single scenario's proscribed length,small regions 5 years
No votes

Total votes: 20
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

One confusing thing about some of the techs, is that some have a + to some efficiency, than a minus to cost.

Oddly this seems too in some cases result in an overall negative effect.

IE say the tech gives +5% medical efficiency and -10% costs.

In some cases its seems like the -10% cost creates a negative influence on the efficiency,which may or may not be made up by the +5% efficiency bonus.
So even though it says your getting a +5% efficiency bonus,when the effect of the cost reduction on the efficiency is factored in, you dont get anywhere near that +5%
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Eric Larsen
Colonel

How efficiencies work

Post by Eric Larsen »

tkobo wrote:One confusing thing about some of the techs, is that some have a + to some efficiency, than a minus to cost.
Oddly this seems too in some cases result in an overall negative effect.
tkobo,
I too have been a bit baffled that some efficiencies give you a plus to your rating efficiency while reducing cost. Since your investment then goes down so does your shown efficiency percentage. I think most of these efficiency boosters work behind the scenes so to say. At any particular efficiency percentage you get that 5% or 10% efficiency boost, it doesn't actually raise your efficiency percentage. Yep I usually have to boost up my investment after a cost savings reduction.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Apples and Oranges

Post by Eric Larsen »

I don't think those pseudo campaigns are a valid way to test research time since those linked scenarios usually just give researched items at the end of one a finish before the start of another. The only valid test of how long it takes to complete the research tech tree is the World scenario where you have continuity of time and have to research each and every tech the good old fashioned way, by earning it and not being given freebie research. I still think it takes way too long to research multiple techs and the tech research cap needs fixing so that multiple techs can use up the allocated research funding allocated to tech research.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Apples and Oranges

Post by Balthagor »

Eric Larsen wrote:...The only valid test of how long it takes to complete the research tech tree is the World scenario where you have continuity of time and have to research each and every tech...
So based on the current model on the world level, how long did it take?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

Well the US map is like the world map. It is a complete type when i play the scenario aand it will take as long as the world map if u go with the slow and steady way.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

It really depends on how i approach the research.

If i put zero funding into it for like 10 years and just build up my nations income and treasury, i can usually finish the research (tech level and techs) in circa under 10 years of funded time.
So less than circa 20 years of gametime total.

If i try and research from the very beginning,funding paying for research from day 1 of the gameplay,it actually seems to take me roughly the same circa 20 years. BUT im usually scrapping for money during that time period.
And sometimes it even seems to take a few extra years this way.

This is unfortunately off the top of my head though.As i dont play simply the "world" scenario very often. i usaully play campaigns if i want to play the world map and work my way towards the world map.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

:lol: I have did it. 4 years 5 months and completed the tech tree. I beat 5 years. Was the toughest test I did so far. Succeed in the Mid-East as Israel. I took over everything but Iran by 2014. It helped alot. All the techs and tech level of 125. Even went back and researched units not even for that scenario and even completed them 2 months after I was finished with Israel's techs. Well now one test is finished. And I'm not going back and try to do better. :lol: It would give me headaches and possibly nightmares.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

bergsjaeger wrote::lol: I have did it. 4 years 5 months and completed the tech tree...
Without any cheats?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

No cheats what so ever except after i finish the tree when i researched units not for the scenario. And I won't try to do it again. Once was enough for any life time.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Okay, good to know.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Department of Interior - Research and Social Services”