I can't research anything

Discuss Research and Social Aspects of the game here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Blaivas
Corporal

I can't research anything

Post by Blaivas »

Hey, rulers!

I was reading the forums for about a month and was playing the Demo. Altoaugh it had many bugs, but I think that I learned much from it. Last week i got my copy from eBay, upgraded it to v1.2 and ofcourse started to play for my country at normal level.
So I encountered a problem. Playing as Lithuania. I have played for 4 game months, but still can't research anything. Have 2 research centers, GDP is about 10.000 (as started), funding level is 4M/day. The problem is that no one of the started project has a research end day. All the dates are "UNKNOWN" :o . No one from the research bars are moving. Is that a bug or a strange feature?
Be patient...
red
General

Post by red »

Your resources are probably too low. With a region as small as Lithuania, I usually don't bother with research for the first scenario. If you do want to try to pursue it, at least try focusing on one project.
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

How much money do you have.... ?

Cheers
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

4M/day is a drop in the bucket for the research tree. In some larger regions I've had 5,000M/day being invested and I think ppl on the forum have reported even higher numbers at times.

You just don't have the money to drive the research...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Blaivas
Corporal

Post by Blaivas »

4M/day is a drop in the bucket for the research tree. In some larger regions I've had 5,000M/day being invested and I think ppl on the forum have reported even higher numbers at times.

You just don't have the money to drive the research...

Please understand me correctly...
Before I was playing too ;) (West Germany). Had 19 labs and 20,000M / day. I understand that 4m / day is a little investment, but it's not 0$. Yes, I have 3.5M people only, pure GDP and budget (must repay debts, GDP 10.000), but I want to research (tech level only 93). For now I have only option - trade, but it's not realistic.
So it's a bug o just a feature? Can SR show not UNKNOWN, but 900 days?
Be patient...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

If it is showing "unkown" it likely means that you have so little going to the actual progress of the technology that it would have to say 900 years or something. In cases where there is essentially no progress AT ALL it reports "unknown". There have been a number of discussions within the team of whether or not we can improve how this is reported, might look at some of this for update 4. It is not really a bug, but it could perhaps be made clearer.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Trepanated
Corporal

Post by Trepanated »

Is there any benefit at all to putting money into research as a smaller region, if you can't even research the simplest of technologies in the timeframe in which the scenario runs? In other words, are there other benefits to research besides getting the techs, such increasing GDP/c, increasing DAR (due to providing "good" jobs) etc? Or are you just throwing money away on research if you're playing a small region?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Research spending does have a heavy impact on the GDP/c so keeping some money there is certainly not a bad idea. Also, even in smaller regions, I usually manage to research one or two small units by doing one at a time and waiting the required time. Technologies I don't usually try in smaller economies, often just the unit designs.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Balthagor wrote:Research spending does have a heavy impact on the GDP/c so keeping some money there is certainly not a bad idea. Also, even in smaller regions, I usually manage to research one or two small units by doing one at a time and waiting the required time. Technologies I don't usually try in smaller economies, often just the unit designs.
It's pretty illogical to fund it when it doesn't add anything to ur profitability of ur economy.

I say this because a low gdp/c is nice because it lowers cost per unit and thus u can gain more income from trade and buy all those expensive tanks and destroyers :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

however, higher GDP creates more tax revenu and increases the money you can put towards research. And many of the techs have positive affects on DAR which affects production levels slightly. (more if it falls really low)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

I'm a research freak and i've always got money into research and even as the smaller regions i'm managing 2-3 techs in the small time frames it gives u...

As northern england I got two techs... Water Conservation and Something else I forget which plus I traded for all the techs wat the other regions have...

It is good to research but not for really small+poor regions...
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.

Return to “Department of Interior - Research and Social Services”