Research technologies in parallel

Discuss Research and Social Aspects of the game here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

szabfer
Captain

Research technologies in parallel

Post by szabfer »

I read through te related topics, but it seems that everyone have different opinion about this topic - do is worth to research on several technologies in parallel or not?

In theory it would worth, however I run a small test on this.
As panama, I almost conquered the region, have tons of cash an 4 research centers. Funding is OK (3 times more than the recommended) efficiency is around 120% - R&D spendig focus 0 / 62% / 38%.

Selected two techs, and checked estimated completion in days. If techs were selected to research "alone" then it was estimated 94 and 114 days to complete them.
If I selected both, the estimation shown 145 and 217 days.

So it seems to me that the availability of both tech would happen almost on the same day (217th day vs. 94+114=208th day - well 9 day difference in favor of one by one research) if I research one by one, then I will get the first tech sooner (94 day vs 145 day).

Any comment? Do I miss something?
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

Well there are a lot of strange things in the research... :-?
So it's difficult to pin this down...
But if you place a few techs in the queue and one tech is finished
the other (left) ones will speed up...
Best you try this.Research both techs the same time and see how long it took to finish both techs...

Cheers
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

My testing has shown that, if you have a big enough economy, researching in paralell will get you the techs 2-10% faster. If you're investment in research is being limited by your GDP or population levels, it seems better to focus research.

I usually focus research anyway because I've anxious to get the next item to start building it or getting its benefits.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

Well... I'm not a veteran guy in SR, so I've just played the Central American campaign as Panama - and currently I'm in the second scenario (to conquer North America) - so I have a definitely small economy, thus it seems to be true that in this case parallel research does not give any benefit. Thanks for the answer.

Btw, a second question: is it possible to figure out from the game itself which technologies are needed for a specific unit design? In the built-in tech reference guide panel I see if a technology is "pre-requisite for Unit designs" but is it possible to figure out what do I have to research if I want to build Tomahawk missiles (for example)? Otherwise, is there any restriction on the researchable techs (for example, as panama in the first level of a campaign, can I research anything or are there techs which are forbidden?)
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

Nope... and its realy anoying me....

http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4928

Hope they made some improvments for the next update on this issue..

Cheers
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

szabfer wrote:..is there any restriction on the researchable techs (for example, as panama in the first level of a campaign, can I research anything or are there techs which are forbidden?)
You can research any technology but not any unit. Units are limited by region code. There is no tomahawk style missile available to region code "O" (Other) so Panama cannot get anything like that. We may add a fictional future unit that they could research but it would be at a higher tech level so it would take a VERY long time for them to be able to research it.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

Well... thanks for the answers, meanwhile I found a related topic where these questions are discussed. It is really strange that there are limitiations on what designs are available for the different countries, while it is understandable anyway.
But I solved the problem: I bought the designs from the American regions, so I have everything what I need - much faster than I could research :)

So Central American F-15 fighters and Abrams tanks are invading the former US now :)

Return to “Department of Interior - Research and Social Services”