Research Efficiency

Discuss Research and Social Aspects of the game here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

ozmono2005
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ozmono2005 »

Alright have some confussing results already.

One thing which seemed to affect my efficiency that I wasn't expecting was researching many projects at once. I went from researching about 17/37 projects at 190% efficiency to researching 37/37 which ended up about 170% efficiency. But then again I couldn't get it back up to were it was prior to this and I wasn't making ANY changes to my economy

So I'm just plain confussed at this point I'll let you know if anything else comes up

Also there was a brief period when my GDP/c was going down and my Research efficiency stayed high but in the majority of cases it seemed to rase the efficiency but then again I don't have a clue to how it works
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

Imho i think BG should scrap the research efficiency.
Just 2 sliders (techs & level) and ofcourse the moneyslider wich in fact
is the real eff slider (according to the production efficiency)

If you wanna mess around with the eff. i think you should be able
to directly assign scientists/engineers to a r.centre..
(just a thought... :-? )

Cheers
ozmono2005
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ozmono2005 »

At the moment I couldn't agree more

However there have been aspects of the game which I've started off disliking and was confussed about and which I have grown to love

Its the only game I've ever played(with the exception of CIV II but I wasn't even a teenager then and now I'm 21) that after playing the game for a long time, the game just gets better as your understanding of it evolves and is refined.

However I am still dissy from trying to figure out the research efficiency, so I have to say I agree
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

There does seem to be a bug in Research Efficiency in regions with small populations, regardless of the GDP/c. Small populations just can't seem to get the efficiency as high as they should be able. We're looking into it...
- David
Ubercado
Corporal

Post by Ubercado »

Hey there...

I'm currently playing Houston in the US SouthWest and I start out with a 95% eff in research and no matter what I try, my eff keeps droping... I think at last look it was down to 47% and I am only researching 1 tech out of 4 possible...

My sliders are set to what was discussed in this thread and my spending is set to max but, none the less, it keeps falling...

In game time I have spent almost a year and a half and still I haven't gotten any research done or even anywhere close to being done...

Any help would be welcome.

Cado
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

try building more research centers. That always helped me. And i finally did it not sure how i did it but i got my eff. over 300% for only 3 days though. I did take over a couple more regions maybe that's y it happened.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

Every time I start a game my Research Eff. is between 80% and 95%. I double the recommended spending, then Research Eff. drops to 60%. I end up putting 50% of my funds into Eff., but it won't go over 69%. This is even when I increase social spending. If research is tied to GDP, then it shouldn't be. It also shouldn't drop like this no matter what you do in the first month. Research also shouldn't be effected by my taxation level. If you slash you education budget then that should have an effect.
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

What has changed in the R&D model since Beta 4? Eff. seemed alot more stable then and you actually felt like you were getting something done.
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

I'm going to still harp on this, because R&D effeciency is really starting to irritate me. What is it tied to? I can tell what it isn't tied to that much and that is Education. My education level is up to 109% effecieny. That only raised my Reseach effecieny up 3% from 65% to 68% (this is all as Northern California with Update 3). Then I built a second reseach facility, so now with 2 Facilities, 50% of my reseach budget for Eff., Reseach budget maxed and education at 109% I only have 73% Reseach Eff. Is that right? Is that how it is "supposed" to be?

I don't know what else it is linked to, but it should only be linked to the percentage of money in the budget (not $ amount being spent) and your education level. Very poor approval should harm it a little (very little, 3-5%). GDP/c should have no effect, nor most of the economic conditions. Most nations with low GDP/c have little reseach power because they either can't or don't invest in their schools.
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

Slash78 wrote: because R&D effeciency is really starting to irritate me.
Please Slash don't ..... it's a headache issue... :evil:

Cheers
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Damn u people, I never seem to get 65% as research efficiency 8_ , last time I got so low was with a third world country :D

I usually get around 85% to 90%, and in some cases I've been able to pull off 250% with germany in the europe scenario :P, now that's fast research ;)

When I go for a research economy I usually end up at 140%, and in some cases I got it so good :P like germany, and I get around 150<200% :D

P.S

One thing I noticed was that if ur economy is growing, don't STOP IT! I had germany grow to 36000 gdp/c and my research efficiency was around 220%, when I noticed my eco was overheating I turned down the gdp/c growth and stabalised it at 36000 gdp/c and I quickly noticed that efficiency would drop to 140% simply because the eco wasn't growing no more. So always try and keep ur eco growing, make it grow as slow as possible for maximum efficiency gains over time :D (atleast, that has always worked with me)
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

:lol: U could always try playing as tokyo in the japan scenario. had the eff go to 275% over a period of 3 years. Course my GDP went to 70k but my inflation is staying around 3% and unemployment around 4%. :lol: built too many things it seems.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Research Efficiency is an element that Chris also wants looked at more, though it isn't actually broken, just not 'obvious'.

One element that is counted in Research Efficiency is how much of a region's total GDP is spent on that item - in smaller (lower-population) regions, it is hard to get up to the same level (as a %age of GDP) that larger regions can.

One confusing element of this is the 'recommended' value for research spending - this value has to take in to account the total size of your economy among other factors, so there is often a big difference between the "wished for spending" versus the "recommended spending". The Minister will not 'recommend' an amount that is unaffordable, and so often spending at the recommended amount will not be able to keep your efficiency high.

However, I agree that this is confusing, and we may look for a slightly different formula in the future that will express 'efficiency' a bit more clearly.

-- George.

Return to “Department of Interior - Research and Social Services”