Changing unit parameters in mid-game

If you have the desire to modify SR2010 here is where you can discuss and share your designs and ideas. NOTE: Mods are a change to the original program and are not supported by BattleGoat Studios.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

felinis
Lt. Colonel

Changing unit parameters in mid-game

Post by felinis »

Once I have saved a game in a .SAV file, will modifying DEFAULT.UNI have any effect on the game already in progress?

What if I modify SRUNITS.CVS, compile a new CUSTOM/DATA/DEFAULT.UNI and copy the new DEFAULT.UNI to MAPS/DATA?
"We have met the enemy and he is us."
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

IIRC, the default.uni (or othername.uni if that is what the original scenario was designed to point too) is read each time the game is loaded, even loading a .sav, so yes changes to the equipment file will apply to savegames. However if you had a unit in the field with 50 out of 50 str and make changes to the total battalion size, there is a possibility for corrupting the savegame. And if you give it a bigger gas tank, it will still have it's previous total gas when you reload.

For SR2020 the current intention is to embbed the .uni into the .sav so this will not work the same if we follow current plans.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
felinis
Lt. Colonel

Post by felinis »

I tried it and you are right, it worked.

You are now likely to hear a lot less bitching and moaning from me now since - "I did it my way."

I'll try out my mod and maybe share it with the community if it works out OK.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

felinis wrote:...I'll try out my mod and maybe share it with the community if it works out OK.
Sounds great, be sure to post it to the Wiki when you have a working version (or even just a test version)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
felinis
Lt. Colonel

Post by felinis »

One of the things that I did was reduce the initial Industrial Goods building cost and yearly operating cost of all facilities by between 80 and 90%.

I also reduced the manning level of all military facilities except for medium and large bases.

These savings all get reflected in the Treasury and DOD reports one day after taking effect. My maintenance cost was halved, my military reserves increased by 10% and my deployed force decreased by 53%. So I lost over a million deployed men, but my remaining reserve will go much further in term of how many new smaller bases that I can open.

Remember - I used this for a game in progress. Force depletion will not be a problem if you use the mod from the beginning of the game. For games in progress, there is a work-around.

The only thing that does not change is the "Estimated Annual Operating Cost" figure posted in the detail dialog for bases. I suspect that this outrageously high figure is actually hard-coded somewhere, and does not represent an accurate, calculated value, and never did.

I also:
1) made AA and radar stations cheaper, with longer ranges and more effective against "High Air" targets.

2) Made all U.S. missiles "Mid Air" targets like aircraft, not "Close Air" targets like helicopters, making hand-held AAs ineffective against them.

3) Increased the range of the MGM-52 Lance missile.

4) Changed the AV-8B Harrier II to "7 Helicopter" so that it can land anywhere, like the V-22 Osprey.

5) Duplicated Baloogan's mod of putting "Load Onto" on the first pop-up menu.

6) Increased the supply on Paladin mobile artillery and the SS-80 MLRS to keep them on the line longer without them running away to the supply depot.

7) Doubled the number of air squadrons that a carrier can hold.

8) Duplicated Baloogan's mod of allowing transports to ferry aircraft.

9) Increased the "High Air" effectiveness of all heavy U.S. MIM AA, in order to combat the Russian Foxbat aircraft.

10) Changed missile size for SSN-8 submarine. Was size 2, but no size 2 missiles are available in the U.S.
Last edited by felinis on Jan 07 2007, edited 5 times in total.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

This seems like a bit of a biased mod :P

Going to post it to the Wiki for others to try?

FYI, my 130km range on the lance was already generous;

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... mgm-52.htm (it states 75m/120km, I gave it 130km)

If you're going to mod it, why not make a new fictional IOC 2006 Lance II missile?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
felinis
Lt. Colonel

Post by felinis »

No argument on the Lance. I saw the deployment date - it is ancient.

But they are useless to me with such a short range, and they WERE the only land missiles that were not vulnerable to hand-held AA.

Maybe next time I will make some new units, like the M1771A1 Godzilla Imperial Walker.

I still haven't actually PLAYED the mod yet. I don't want to embarrass myself by releasing it before I am sure that it doesn't do something bad.
Leonidas
Sergeant

Post by Leonidas »

Well, i just get this game, and i think its marvellous, but i have few problems...

Im play in WWIII, with Russia, if a try to mod the default.uni and copy in maps/data... my changes are ok, but all my Mig-29 Fulcrums and my IL76 Heavy Air Transport disappears.... Why??? i have the last patch... its because my SRUNITS.CVS not its the same that the SRUNITS that used to make this map????

Second... i have a lot of mistakes in units...

Why YW541H Type95 (tech 68) its in all better than YW534 (tech 99) and more cheaper????????? Its a Chine Infantry Unit

Third, When Can i found the Tech level for the diferents units??? im searching in SRUNITS.cvs and i dont see that

Thanks 4 the game. And sorry 4 my english, Iam spanish.

I hope that SR2020 not have Delays in Spain... For SR2010 i have to wait 18 months to can Buy

Bye
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Welcome ot the forums,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game. For changes to the equipment file, you should read another thread;

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7398

It suggests things to test that you're changes are working correctly.

The tech level for the units is their year of introduction minus 1900. So a unit of 1986 would be tech level 86.

As for the errors, with so many units some balance issues certainly got missed, be sure post comments for any of those units you find and we'll attempt to make some corrections.

BTW, there is a Spanish mod being created for the game, be sure to check that out as well.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Mods”