Sync error = ?

Post here to arrange or discuss multiplayer games. Remember when planning a game to state the time the lobby will be open, the time the game will start and the time zone you are in and if you are going to play through Gamespy or direct IP address.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

FastBoy101
Captain

Sync error = ?

Post by FastBoy101 »

I guess many might have asked...

When I played with someone, it was writing sync error repeatedly at times. We still managed to play some (we just wanted to test a little), but I wondered if it had anything to do with him ctrl-escaping the game. Or is it some patch version thing?

I did notice that for me the game wasn't alt-tab or ctrl-esc friendly too much, but it might be his/my patch version...
Big stuff from K5
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Sync errors are bad things :( It means that what you where seeing on the map and what he was seeing where two different things. It could be as small as a few barrels of oil difference in stock, to seeing entirly different units on the map. We have tested for sync errors heavily (one of the reasons we play a 4 hour game once per week...) and not seen any lately. It is possible for lag to cause a sync problem, but that is fairly uncommon.

IDEALLY: When a sync error occurs the game automatically pauses. Sync is checked at day end. First thing to do is don't let anyone disconnect. Second, since the pause is quick to respond, time should be rolled for one or two ticks of the clock so that any further sync errors are reported, then pause the game. At this point, each person should alt-tab out of the game and go to their savegame directory. An autosave is regularly created by the game as well as a log file unless the user has turned off these options. The autosave and log file should be sent to support@bgforums.com. The host log and savegame are crucial for resolving these cases

Once this is done, it is often worth running the game one day further to see if the sync "goes away". In some cases of lag causing the problem, on the next day end things will have corrected themselves and be back in sync.

To solve a sync error after sending in these files, have the host save the game and send it around to all players. Quite and restart using the host savegame and this will put everyone 'back in sync'.

Sync errors are very serious and something we are committed to eliminating any time they appear. I will personnally see that anyone who is able to help us eliminate a true sync error gets their name/handle added to the next revision of the credits under QA/testing.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
FastBoy101
Captain

Post by FastBoy101 »

Ok. We're playing again tommorrow, me and same person. We both, to be sure, reinstall the game without any patch. After, we might download the last patch and see what happens.
Big stuff from K5

Return to “Multiplayer Games”