Soft vs Hard Targets

In this thread you can discuss any thoughts you have about balance within the game. Does a particular unit need a specification changed? Is a stealth plane not stealthy enough? Do "Belli Bar" levels need to be changed? Let us know and discuss it all here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Noble713
Captain

Soft vs Hard Targets

Post by Noble713 »

Just wondering exactly what criteria was used to delineate between soft and hard target types. I'm going through the unit file and I see lots of hard targets that I would consider soft targets (mostly recon units and a few wheeled APCs).

In my mind, if you can destroy the vehicle with a .50cal MG from the front, it's a soft target. An even more stringent standard is if a near miss from artillery (~155mm) is likely to kill the passengers, it's a soft target.

For example, some of the Humvee units in the game are soft while others are hard. To my knowledge, no Humvee can eat .50 BMG rounds and survive, so they would all be soft targets.
Black Metal IST KRIEG!
http://tinyurl.com/ctyrj7
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

The US Military has is convenced that 10mm of steel = armor protection. The US Military is also convenced that laser dazzlers and $100,000+ systems that through Frag grenades to take out $500 RPG rounds and other "active" systems = physical protection (see Fantasy Combat System).

If they consider such vehicles "hard" targets, who is BG Studios to argue with the most expensive military in the world? :P
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I think what Slash78 is hinting at (and is correct about) is that we have soooo much data in the game, often from multiple and contradictory sources, that some of our stats could be argued to great length without a clear decision either way.

At the same time, no one has really sat down and picked apart the entire file to look for mistakes. I'm sure that with over 2000 units times more than 150 stats each we have a number of minor errors that slipped through.

At 99% accuracy we'd be allowed 3000 mistakes ;)

While we have stopped making changes to the equipment file, there is nothing stopping the community from picking up where we left off and making their own changes. The master file is available on our website for those that are intersted. (see the Mods section).

Also, any suggested changes can be sent to us for our records. We have plans for the new project and the one after, data from the current project is likely to get "recycled" in some places for some of our future projects...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Balance”