Balancing short range fixed wing UAVs

In this thread you can discuss any thoughts you have about balance within the game. Does a particular unit need a specification changed? Is a stealth plane not stealthy enough? Do "Belli Bar" levels need to be changed? Let us know and discuss it all here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Thought I should post since this could affect this discussion - Spotting strength of some UAVs has been reduced. There where a few that where so high they could see subs, these needed to be reduced. If there are any UAVs that can see a sub and I've missed it, please let me know.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
geminif4ucorsair
General

Iowa BB & UAVs

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Sebastiaan wrote:Meabee allow the IOWA to cary 1 helicopter regiment. That way they can launch UAV just like in reality http://www.battleship.org/html/Articles ... rcraft.htm
That is not right either - for the couple of Hunter UAVs carried had to have a barricade net to retrieve them and certainly were not available in numbers equal to a "helicopter regiment" (above)....the RPV Detachment comprised 22 sailors/marines for air control, maintenance, and handling of the (then)-RPVs.
I believe only four RPVs were carried at any one time.....

so that EACH UAV would have to be tracked if one is talking about short-medium range vehicles (impractical)....one the very large HALE types might be considered for individual tracking ala some airborne reconnaissance type aircraft [which are also grouped in "sixes" usually].

One of the unique abilities of modern tech was that the RPV images could be broadcast over the ships closed-circuit TV systems, and this was done on a number of ocassions so the whole crew could watch and sense their achievements as part of a whole-team concept.

However, other than a morale booster, the RPVs onboard major gun caliber ships could be used to enhance offshore gun fire support (GFS) - especially when the game get the battleships / battlecruisers included (see separate thread post)....but these still have to be only Small category UAVs that can land on the ships. Most UAVs cannot, unless vertical landing type.....

...in the discussion above on Long Deck Length - LHA/LHA carriers - can operate up to a UAV Battalion (6-12 platforms)....where any Helicopter- Capable FF/FFG/DDG/CG or LPD could handle up to 4 if "net capable" [or short-deck] (BQM-34 RQ-8A, Galileo Falco, ST Dynamics Fantail, Rheinmetall Defence Electronics KZO, AAI Shadow 400, VTULaSTV Sojka, etc) OR "vertical takeoff/landing" (CL-289, Kamov Ka-137, EADS Seamos) types of UAVs.

They could be handled in the same manner as deploying Missiles onboard ships.....there is the country's inventory and ability to AutoDeploy or manually load by Player.

For Short-Deck ships, they can be loaded and fly over land and enhances GFS mission effectiveness.

Platforms like Predator A/B, Global Hawk, Mirach 150, Alenia Sky-X, General Atomics Warrior, IAI Hunter II or ATS Yabhon-M are simply too large for shipboard use (largely because of their wingspan and landing distance req's).

Maybe they can be integrated more effectively for Update 4?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Currenlty I don't see us devoting too much time to UAVs, there has been little demand for making them more usuable so far. I'll keep all these ideas in mind though, as they could be very useful in future updates or for a nexgen game engine.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

WHat about the folllowing sollution, make them harder to spot (higher stealth rating) depending on their size. That way, the short range, but smaller UAV have a higher survivebility and theirfore usefullness
not going forward eqeals to going backward
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

That's an interesting idea, I'll try and do some testing to see if it works out.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Balance”