Anti Air infantry initiative is too high

In this thread you can discuss any thoughts you have about balance within the game. Does a particular unit need a specification changed? Is a stealth plane not stealthy enough? Do "Belli Bar" levels need to be changed? Let us know and discuss it all here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Sebastiaan wrote:...lowering AA capability of infantry by 20%...
This would make them 20% less effective against helicopter and airplane attacks, something that has not been proven as unbalanced.
Sebastiaan wrote:...and increasing ground defence of cruise missiles depending on their maximum speed...
This would make the cruise missiles harder to shoot down for AA units as well, something that has also not been shown as unbalanced.

I am in favour of further investigating the defense values for the cruise missiles, IIRC we have made them all the same ATM and using speed as one of the factors makes a lot of sense. If you have a specific missile in mind, make your case, but you know I'll just ask for a controlled test of it... :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Chris,
Did you get my savegame?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

ya, thanks. I'll use it for further testing.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

Balthagor wrote:
I am in favour of further investigating the defense values for the cruise missiles, IIRC we have made them all the same ATM and using speed as one of the factors makes a lot of sense. If you have a specific missile in mind, make your case, but you know I'll just ask for a controlled test of it... :)
Well, this is mainly to compensate for the scaled movement speed of missiles compared to their real speed. From what I have observed, missiles apprear to fly at the speed equal to the square root of it speed multiplied by a fixed constant. As a result a missile with a maximum speed of 4000 km/y only travels twise (and not four times) as fast as a missile with a maximum speed of 1000 km/u. I understand why the developers choose this technique fortheir game. however, they did not compensate the missiles for the lowered represented game flying speed. Therefore to compensate for this lack of speed I, modifed their defence by taking the square root of their real speed multiplied by a constant depending on target type (land, sea or nuclear). The resulting defence is much more fairing, making slow cruise missiles easier to destroy and fast cruise missiles much harder to shoot down
Last edited by Sebastiaan on Oct 27 2005, edited 2 times in total.
not going forward eqeals to going backward
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

so do you have the new defense values for some of the missiles? Which ones? And have you tried it in game to see the effect?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Sebastiaan wrote:
Balthagor wrote:
Well, this is mainly to compensate for the scaled movement speed of missiles compared to their real speed. From what I have observed, missiles apprear to fly at the speed equal to the square root of it speed multiplied by a fixed constant. As a result a missile with a maximum speed of 4000 km/y only travels twise (and not four times) as fast as a missile with a maximum speed of 1000 km/u. I understand why the developers choose this technique fortheir game. however, they did not compensate the missiles for the lowered represented game flying speed. Therefore to compensate for this lack of speed I, modifed their defence by taking the square root of their real speed multiplied by a constant depending on target type (land, sea or nuclear). The resulting defence is much more fairing, making slow cruise missiles easier to destroy and fast cruise missiles much harder to shoot down
Could u please work this out further. I'd like to use this for my 31 player worldmap mod wich I think I'll release sometime during this week for testers to try and in 2 weeks to 1 month I hope to have a map full with units :D
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Want alpha version of my "Fog of war mod"?

Post by Sebastiaan »

I already got a alpha version ready, If you or anyone else is intrested, just send me a private message.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Draken wrote:AGM-12D Bulpup B and AGM-154APW JSOW are getting shot down by a M113A1 infantry btn, nothing else is in range. Only a very few missiles go thru ... It's anoying!
We've begun some work on this and have found there is a bug here. There is a possibility of missiles running out of fuel in their last hex of travel. Because the Bulpup is such short range, they never reach the target. The M113 is not actaully shooting them down. Also, using the controlled test you sent (thans again btw!) we found that one shot of AGM-154s would kill 2 squads in the M113s when the infantry fired back. By turning their air role off and repeating the test, 3 squads are killed. So it looks like 5 missiles are fired, 2 hit, 2 miss (or inflict less than "kill" damage), 1 gets shot down... when they don't run out of fuel :roll:

So far this sounds reasonable to me. We'll have the bug fixed for the next update but for now bulpups are likely useless unless the hex is < 16km.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Good to know, but the M113 shoots at them or not? I ask because I see the "unit firing" circle around it .

So, the bug is that the plane is firing the missiles out of range? What? You fixed the Helicopters problem by putting their pilots in airplanes and move the jet pilots to helicopters???? :o (j/k of course)
Also, using the controlled test you sent (thans again btw!)
No problem! Glad to help! :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

it is possible that the infantry where shooting as they can fire into the next hex, but we used the debugger and confirmed that the missiles where not impacting at all.

... maybe we're using the helo pilots for ordinance management? :P
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

exactly why does the missile run out of fuel?

When I calculate the required fuel required for a mission to reach its maximum range, I get

(16 / 2205) * 137.81 = 0.999981859 < 1

which as you can see is lower than the total fuel capacity. Am I missing something?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I have no idea, I don't look at the code. Either way, it's fixed. It will be part of update 4.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Balance”