Short range battles vs artillery

In this thread you can discuss any thoughts you have about balance within the game. Does a particular unit need a specification changed? Is a stealth plane not stealthy enough? Do "Belli Bar" levels need to be changed? Let us know and discuss it all here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Turbo
Corporal

Short range battles vs artillery

Post by Turbo »

Hi!
This is my first post and I don't know how short range battles are computed but I have this suggestion:
If you have say, a stack of units consisting of a tank battallion and an artillery unit, both with a firing range lower than one hex, it would be interesting to still be able to use the tanks as a shield for the artillery.
For instance, enemy units with less than one hex range should be forced to first target the direct fire units pointing at them in that stack (the tanks in this case). You could test vs. the unit's Stand-Off flag for this.
As you can see, the enemy could still attack the artillery with a second unit attacking from another hex!
red
General

Post by red »

Units attacking a stack with a tank and artillery already must destroy the tank first, but attacking from the side doesn't change that rule. Note also that all units have at least a one hex range.
Turbo
Corporal

Post by Turbo »

I see. I guessed it, but I just was not sure of that rule. Thanks! :)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Always reassuring when players suggest things we're already doing. Good to know we're on the right track :wink:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Gresbeck
Sergeant

Post by Gresbeck »

Units attacking a stack with a tank and artillery already must destroy the tank first, but attacking from the side doesn't change that rule. Note also that all units have at least a one hex range.
Why? If arty has indirect fire capability, I see no reason why it should fire tanks or any other troops in front line.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

I think that he's talking about direct fire attacking units...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Draken is correct, indirect units fire at the hex, not the unit (although one units is marked as the primary target and takes the most damage) so every unit in the hex would take damage. The stand off rule stops direct attack units from engaging protected stand off units.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Balance”