Buying unit schemes is cheaper than reaseaching it.

In this thread you can discuss any thoughts you have about balance within the game. Does a particular unit need a specification changed? Is a stealth plane not stealthy enough? Do "Belli Bar" levels need to be changed? Let us know and discuss it all here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Sebastiaan
Colonel

Buying unit schemes is cheaper than reaseaching it.

Post by Sebastiaan »

I notised that it is far more cheeper to buy a technology unit schemwe than to reseach it yourself. Also I notised that by simply trading reasearch you can get more research than your nabours. I think there is something wrong with the value of technology as it is currntly fixed. Rather, it should depend an how many region have it already research. Reseaching and trading tech chould be more like in civilisation in which tech that are alre3ady researched by most other nation is easier to reseach but it will also esier to buy it, while cutting edge reseach should be harder to get and much more expansive because no one else has it.
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

At first glance it is....
However you must have a very (i repeat very) good relation with
that region before you gain a -high tech-...
And to get a very good relation you've to invest into that region.....
(Well at the moment its not difficult to become very close friends... )

Cheers
szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

Well... I have to argue about this relationship thing... As central america, I'm in war with the north american regions. I can't sue for peace (the civ rating is at zero) BUT I can buy any tech/unit design from any region, regardless if I'm in war with it or not. Even the civ rating is not taken into account for this activity.

Basically I stopped researching - it is so inefficient and slow, that it is easier and much faster to buy the necessary designs than waiting for years (to increase tech level, to research the necessary tech and design).

I bought even the F22 desing from US, which normally cannot be even researched by me.
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

szabfer wrote: I bought even the F22 desing from US
How much was the -Current Trade Value- ?
And how much did you offer.... ?

I bet it wasn't a bargain .... :wink:

Cheers
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

With the fact that there are two exploits currently possible, I can see where you could get this impression. Once the AI regions understand that trading something for a billion payed back over 12 years or daily offers of 10$ should not carry as much weight, you'll likely find it less willing to make the trades unless you have a very solid diplomatic relation.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

I don't remember the exact price, but I offered basically the same amount of money what was indicated as the value of the design on the diplomacy panel.

As I couldn't even research that design, I don't know what was the research cost of that. And we should not forget that before the actual research, I should have improve my tech level from 85 to above 100 (if I recall correctly, F22 is above tl 100). That is money and TIME :)

But for me this is not the main point - the strangest thing here that I got techs from the enemy without any restrictions.
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

szabfer wrote:But for me this is not the main point - the strangest thing here that I got techs from the enemy without any restrictions.
Agree... this is very weird.... :-?
Especially because the F22 is a high tech design (i believe but could be wrong)

Cheers
Cerber
Lieutenant

Post by Cerber »

There is another thing - buying schemes doesn`t mean you can produce that weapon.
Let`s say Burkina Faso is buying schemes of F-22, who and where will produce it ?
Buying schemes should provide you a blueprint, it was very good shown in HOI2.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We do intend to look at this more, like most aspects of the game, but if you trade the F-22 to some place like Burkina Faso as you suggest, you would be giving them 4 or 5 technologies with it including Stealth Aircraft Designs, Radar Absorbant Materials, Jet Thrust Vectoring, Fly by Wire... You can't give a tech without its prereq technologies, so you end up giving them everything they need to produce the aircraft and all its component parts.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cerber
Lieutenant

Post by Cerber »

And that is the real problem - wonder who from them will understand this technology ?
And what about manufacturing plants, I have serious doubts they`ve so good engineers and machines.

Better example is a nuclear technology, to have a knoledge how to make them is a piece of cake, but to get right materials - that is a serious problem.

PS. SR is a really great game, otherwise I won`t waste my time to write all my posts :D
Wish you to get a lot of money from it :lol:
Last edited by Cerber on Sep 15 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks for the kind wishes! :)

As for "the real problem", we just ignore that for the sake of gameplay. I can't imagine anyway to account for this that would not make things more complicated than I would like...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cerber
Lieutenant

Post by Cerber »

I think you are right with current system of research.
But there could be done one thing, restict trading militiary nuclear technologies only to closest alliances.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

There is a bug there, one of the nuclear tech prereqs for the missiles is "non-tradable" but currently you can trade non-tradable techs. :(
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cerber
Lieutenant

Post by Cerber »

Well that change all :)
Maybe that is the way to improve trading schemes - introduce non-tradable techs like: "Advenced Tanks Production".
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We already have technologies like that however I don't think they have been marked as non-tradable. Check the Tech Tree PDF and you'll find that some are marked as non-tradable.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Balance”