Slow TOW infantry

In this thread you can discuss any thoughts you have about balance within the game. Does a particular unit need a specification changed? Is a stealth plane not stealthy enough? Do "Belli Bar" levels need to be changed? Let us know and discuss it all here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Sebastiaan
Colonel

Slow TOW infantry

Post by Sebastiaan »

TOW infantry currently has a moving speed of 2 km/u. Why is this speed so slow? That's the speed at which you drag at 60kg rock.

Because I haven't been able to transport them using supply trucks or transport hellicopters, this speed limmitation is realy hurting me. It takes a several hours or days just to move them a single hex.
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Yeah, well I just modded mine to walk an average of 7 km :) that's my normal walking speed, these guys are supposed to be trained armed soldiers so they with their stamina but the extra weight should probaly equal my walking speed :D
George Geczy
General

Re: Slow TOW infantry

Post by George Geczy »

Sebastiaan wrote:TOW infantry currently has a moving speed of 2 km/u. Why is this speed so slow? That's the speed at which you drag at 60kg rock.
OK, it is a bit arbitrary, but you also have to consider that units will usually not be able to march without rest, so there needs to be an averaging; as well, the TOW and Anti-Tank leg units generally have a greater amount of weapons and ammo that they have to carry with themselves versus regular leg troops (like garrisons or airborne).

I know that some infantry can be loaded into supply trucks to be moved, though I forget if the AT infantry will fit or not.

-- George.
hawk55732
Warrant Officer

Post by hawk55732 »

Well, im in the marines and for the infantry, no matter there equipment, there average speed is 3 miles a hour with full gear. Just some info for you there.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

hawk55732 wrote:Well, im in the marines and for the infantry, no matter there equipment, there average speed is 3 miles a hour with full gear. Just some info for you there.
OK, sounds good to me - we'll adjust the lazy TOW guys up to 3 km/h.

If only all our design decisions were so easy :-)

-- George.
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

hey wait a second, isn't 3 miles per hour equal to 4,5 kilometers per hour?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

good catch, we'll go with 4km/h then since it is a whole number. Means infantry are still slightly faster than AT units.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

Well that sound fair to me
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

The TOW ATGW system is only "man portable" in the loosest sence of the term. You'll mostly see it mounted on HMMWVs or other vehicles.

You can talk about soldiers "supposed to be in good shape" and able to move faster, but I would like to see you get out, get into the best shape posible and try to lug around a 120 lb+ peice of equipment, especially when you already have about 80 lbs of other gear on you. That also doesn't count reloads.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

So are you saying some of the leg AT units SHOULD NOT be upped to 4km/h? I've already changed them but it's easy to change them back...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

I would compromise, 5 kmh for regular (or weaker infantry), 8kmh for elite or better quality infantry, 4 kmh for weapons that weigh more then then 20 kg, but less then 35kg and 3 kmh for everything over that. I agree that 2 kmh is too slow, but you still want a good range in their.

About weapon rate. That would be the total weight of equipment that doesnt brake down into roughly even pieces (including ammo for one shot) or the heavies of the even peices, as long as you have the manpower in the unit to carry it.

Many ATGWs would be an example of the first and infantry carried mortars are a good example of the second.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Since I don't know the weights of each of the AT battalion weapons without looking them up, doing such fine tuning will have to wait. I know I won't have the time to do this for a while.

If there is a unit in particular that stands out, let me know. For now, all leg AT are set to 4km/h
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Balance”