Overly High Land Attack Values for Ships?

In this thread you can discuss any thoughts you have about balance within the game. Does a particular unit need a specification changed? Is a stealth plane not stealthy enough? Do "Belli Bar" levels need to be changed? Let us know and discuss it all here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

magogian
Lieutenant

Post by magogian »

Gotthard wrote:Those guns on the ship are rapid fire though. They are fed from an internal magazine on the ship, no manual loading is necessary on newer ships.

Sure, 18 guns is a lot, but 4 on a destroyer are firing at something about ~30 shots/min...

An Artillary piece gets maybe... 2? So 36 vs. 120 shots is a lot...

Bigger ships with more guns are even more frightening.
Good point as well
Gresbeck
Sergeant

Post by Gresbeck »

I also had the impression that naval fire is overstrenghtened. I'm not a military expert, but in real life I've never seen coastal bombardment destroying so many units (why should have English troops had to invade Falklands, if they could destroy the entire Argentinian army with coastal bombardment?). On the other hand, the game doesn't seem to consider the ability of target units to evade from ship fire, and the problems to spot land units.
BTW, I think the attack value of ships should be strongly influenced by the presence of friendly land units attcking the enemy: in this case the defending land units would probably be better spotted, and they should have more problems in evading (and the same should be true for artillery units, that seem to me also too lethal). I could be wrong, but I didn't see these aspects modeled in the game. All the other wargames I have played model ship and artillery bombarment of land units (I'm not considering bombardments of structures and towns) as a support to land attacks, not as an independant attack: that should mean something.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

We've had some previous discussions of artillery in another thread, you may want to search for that one.

As for the ships, we're not as set on the current values, but we need some precise examples to test with. What ships where you using? What units where you attacking? Where they entrenched? Terrain?

If you get a specific case where you're seeing what you think is an unbalanced combat resolution, e-mail it with details and we will investigate.

It would also be helpful if you find a case that you think is balanced well to send that so we can use it as a benchmark case.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Balance”