Nukes are underpowered

In this thread you can discuss any thoughts you have about balance within the game. Does a particular unit need a specification changed? Is a stealth plane not stealthy enough? Do "Belli Bar" levels need to be changed? Let us know and discuss it all here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

well the sub version shouldn't anyways. I could be wrong but aren't the sub versions smaller?

Bergsjaeger= mountain hunter
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

http://www.missilethreat.com/missiles/t ... 4_usa.html

The first version of the Trident, the C-4. Eight 100kt warheads in the missile.(they downgraded to 6 at one point)

Instead of one big nuke landing in the middle of the city, 8 smaller nukes land all over the city. This is much more effective for taking out cities and soft targets, but doesn't do so well in taking down bunkers and other hard targets.

You could possibly survive a 1 Megaton nuke landing in the middle of the city, if you are 3-5+ miles away. If 8 100kt nukes land all over the place, your chances are much slimmer. Less to hide behind, fallout everywhere. Multiple shockwaves on the city, so if the first shockwave doesn't bring down the house, the next few might. 8 ground zero's to deal with.

I don't remember if it was Hiroshima, or Nagasaki, but one of the cities was half protected by a large hill. MIRV makes terrain such as hills and mountains much less effective in mitigating the devastation.
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

So actually the kt for a trident is just one of the nukes?
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

I forget what the kt for the trident is in game(more than 100kt right? combined the rl trident has about 800kt, but I would have to look again at the trident in game to see what it is). I think they use a combined kt, but then again I don't think they have factored in that the trident is a MIRV and not just a single nuke.
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

I think its around 800 in the game. Course i use peacekeepers more.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

As far as I know the kiloton yield stat is NOT used to calculate any damage the nuke does.
This value isnt important for damage balancing.

Look for the fortification attack value.
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

Got some more up to date info on the trident.

The newest, the D-5 version.

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/trientd5.htm

The latest trident missiles are capable of holding 8-14(14 in a shorter ranged version) W-88 warheads. Each warhead is 475kt. This makes the D-5 Trident a 3.8Mt-6.6Mt missile.

Could we get the D-5 added to the unit file? It seems the newest trident in game is the C-4 which is the first version and is only 1/4 the power of the D-5.
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

i hope not i already got a habit of using nukes if i don't want to have a ground war. But new nukes be fun to try out.
Gripen
Sergeant

Chemical Effects?

Post by Gripen »

Not trying to hijack the thread, but while everyone's discussing WMD's, can anyone report on How to use/Effects of Chemical Weapons?

Gripen
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

Chem weapons are currently not implemented. You can vote to have them included here: http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4857

I assume chem weapons will eventually make it in, though who knows when.
Gripen
Sergeant

Ah, drat

Post by Gripen »

Thanks. I just saw a bunch of other posts all commenting on this.
Here's to hoping...

Bring on the VX!

Thanks,
Gripen
tboy21
Major

Post by tboy21 »

OFF Topic - bergsjaeger: how do you deal with the MAR fallout after a nuke hits his target?

EDIT: I'll post a poll for this issue
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

well that's y i never plan a ground war until the enemies i launched on have nothing left to fight with. I been known to launch over 25 nukes just at one base. On the world map i have lauched over a 1000 nukes, all targeted at every base and every major city and then anything else i felt like wiping out. In real life if this had happened then I would have destroyed the world but anyways. The only thing i haven't figured out how to bring back up is my DAR. Everytime a nuke hits the DAR drops to 1% i was lucky though didn't have an election for 2 more years.
Fitch
Corporal

Post by Fitch »

I hate to bo a necrophiliac here but..........

I finallt got the chance to mess with Nukes in game last night.....Playing the US NorthWest Scenerio......I launched at least 10 Nukes at Las Vegas......Yeah I killed some people and was told that Vegas had been destroyed...but there were still a crap load of Military units there....it looked like each Nuke Hit only eliminated 1 Military unit.......

BTW: these were Peacekeepers......

But I gotta agree with all this, Nukes are way to underpowered....of course I'm pretty sure that all Large Explosive things are underpowered,. not just the Nukes...but B-52s and B-2s..
Natd8
Sergeant

Post by Natd8 »

Can we get a dev reply to this issue?

Return to “Balance”