Fuel and Large Maps

In this thread you can discuss any thoughts you have about balance within the game. Does a particular unit need a specification changed? Is a stealth plane not stealthy enough? Do "Belli Bar" levels need to be changed? Let us know and discuss it all here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

JXai
Lieutenant

Fuel and Large Maps

Post by JXai »

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that fuel expenditure takes into account the size of the map hex. It seems so because on larger scale maps, Armor and motorized infantry can only go a few hexes into enemy territory before they run out of fuel. I would suggest that just like Arty gets a range bonus on large scale maps that vehicles get a fuel expenditure break on large maps.

Yes, I know you can take supply trucks.
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

supply trucks are the bee's knees
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

actually travel rate is based on distance. A Rooikat goes 1000km per tank. On a 10km/hex map, it can cover 100 hexes before running out of gas. On the World map at 35km/hex you only get 29 hexes before being out of fuel. Because we track fuel accuratly and the petroleum usage comes right out of the values in the product departement, I'm not a big fan of fudging these numbers. It would cascade into the economy since the army would demand less and drag down your GDP/c
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

As I re-read my post, it occurs to me, not many game studios would be able to reply to a "please extend unit move range" with an answer that impacts the annual income of the ppl. Wow our game is deep :P
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
JXai
Lieutenant

Post by JXai »

In that case, since it is definitely a tactical consideration, it would be totally wicked if we had an indication of fuel economy before researching/building units.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

You can see this if you take the time to open the units. You can see the range they travel and the fuel capacity. Fuel consumption = capacity/range/speed.

If you're finding it hard to see with the sliders, click the sliders in the unit popup, it all switches to numbers.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

Balthagor wrote:You can see this if you take the time to open the units. You can see the range they travel and the fuel capacity. Fuel consumption = capacity/range/speed.

If you're finding it hard to see with the sliders, click the sliders in the unit popup, it all switches to numbers.
True, but it would be much easier on the old brain if it told us the miles per gallon, rather than having to calculate speed, range, and the fuel tank size. :P
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I had thought at one point that this could be useful info, but our unit popup screen has accumulated a large amount of data already and finding a clear bit of screen to fit it into was hurting my brain :P
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Xetal
Lieutenant

Post by Xetal »

It's pretty easy to eyeball... if your unit requires 260 fuel and can move 600km before it runs out of fuel then it uses an a$$load more gas than the next unit over in your build screen that requires 84 fuel and can move 540km.

If you want to find the actual km/unit then you can get out your calculator, but it's pretty easy to classify units as superhigh/high/medium/low/none by just eyeballing the distance they can move and how much they need to move the distance.

Return to “Balance”