A basic conflict and a few questions of Demo version scena.

Put your Single and Multi player AARs here please specify which it was (SP or MP).

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

The Khan
General

A basic conflict and a few questions of Demo version scena.

Post by The Khan »

My credit card will be sent in a week, and I am a humble Turkish exchange student about to buy this.

Being a fan of Superpower 2, and Global Power, I leaped at this game.

Anyways, I sharpened my wits a little, learned a little economy, learned some statecraft (bonds?interests?Civilisation just had... gold!) and chosen a France scenario, started with Marseille.

I begged Barcelons to Join me in Alliance, gave them 1500M$ in return and a few stupid techs, thus gaining a shield against any gang-up possibility.

Then, I used the advice of the Economy forum, plus still having 20% Corporate and small business tax for the extra income. I also made food and water almost zero price, but setting a 1500$ immigrant fee(All you can eat for 1500 along with residence!)

Max import export tax, telling the statesman to make me uber self sufficient, I became self suff. except oil(I built coal and uranium mine to every possible spot!). All other resources got stocked up and sold occasionally for a low price.

I lay a network of entrenchments and air defenses to the north, gor obvious reasons.

Then they come. I had already piled all the troops to the border,left the artillery in the back, air patrolling the border, planes loaded with missiles, and then they come like helm's deep.

After a lot of shooting sounds, they break off, and retreat. Hurray, the day is mine. On pursuit!

After me taking a considerable chunk of the Parisian country, they retreat to the northern part, stuck between me and the referee country, World Market. There, I gave them a billion dollar and asked for peace, since they refused it to do free.

The bad thing is, although I micromanaged the hell out of it, the result was bad in my terms. I managed to make them stop and fall back, but their units mostly retreated, while my units barely made it out alive(sometimes their backs were cut as well), so I had to rebuild many of them, and I just didnt keep track of who died and who didn't, so I stuck to building a superior numbered, fresh Special forces and AMX light tanks(the artillery and AA were untouched). The heavy, desperate fighting against outnumbering Orc...err Paris was worth a game recording and youtube hosting. Had I prepared a line of entrenchments (Are they autonomous or do they need a unit to fire with?!), an array of Air defense facilities shooting down the bombers,not penetrated through the westernmost opening and with 2 AXM light tank divisions, captured the Airfield near Paris, won a risky close combat against a group of infantry strangling my supply routes,passing dangerously close to a crapload of troops, then micromanaged to take out the AA units seconds before my mirages arrived, the last 15 seconds of the battle would result in a slow, torturous takeover of Marseilles, with me being unable to resist.

If I was a president, I'd reward the commander and set him up for life. Anyways:

The second part is more ominous. We both sides rebuilt, MY ally is locked in mortal combat with Madrid, and what I can see from Portugal is that it bristles with tanks and guns and ships looks restless.

I tried a few trial shots after saving. Again, after heavy casualities, I corner the rest of them in every instance, towards the Northeastern part of their last territory. However, they are now a massive group, consisting hundreds of units and I just can't crack that nut. Any airstrikes are met with a dozen of AA shots. Any assaults from my units get obliterated in seconds! Then, they expand, and force me back.

Dear Forum:

1)How can I have better fighting units? I don't care about money, I improve maintenance, I have double wages, I only conscript 20 year old men and I have the guns, tanks and whatnot, yet I suffer massive losses with every advancing step. That's frustrating (I don't send raw recruits into combat btw, I wait for them to have XP)

Isn't there a staple, economical infantry unit that can serve with many purposes and not die like flies? If a group of units has massive AA fire, how can one crack that unit-nut with something from afar without bombing? Cruise missiles?

What is the best economical way to live for france? Do entrenchments fire on their own?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

You want your infrantry units to have long happy lives ?
Pick the ground well and use full stacks.Close combat hexes !

You want to break one of those huge encampments ?
Use long range artillary.Use missiles.

Concentrate on their anti-air units,remove as many as possible.
Than send in large airstrikes.

Want the your units to so outstanding work ?
Make sure you pay them max,salary AND maintenance.
Make sure you use them right, no infrantry fighting on open ground etc..
Make sure you give them the best equipment.Trade and research can get you what you want.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Chapter 2 coming soon.

So, infantry for closing in on enemy at urban, tanks and guns and APC's for fire exchange, Artillery for long range blastage.

One problem is, I am yet to find a feature allowing to control all artillery or all tanks or all infantry, but just ground, air and sea units.

Damn, I was hoping for a Superpower 2 on WW3, ended up playing a bastard child of Panzer General, Hearts of Iron and Superpower 2

These units always tend to get knotted tight, not to mention lazy bastard tanks breaking off combat and returning to base for no apparent reason and sleeping! Get back to the ring champ!
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

comments and answers in red
The Khan wrote: So, infantry for closing in on enemy at urban,

Dont forget heavy forrest and mountainous.Infrantry is excellent at holding ground and ambushing enemy units when set up right

One problem is, I am yet to find a feature allowing to control all artillery or all tanks or all infantry, but just ground, air and sea units.

Well, you kinda can ,by using the unit and unit type buttons, by why would you want too ?

Your best off managing your units on a unit by unit basis,or at least a stack by stack basis.

Damn, I was hoping for a Superpower 2 on WW3, ended up playing a bastard child of Panzer General, Hearts of Iron and Superpower 2

Sorry, but the combat in super power and super power 2 was ridiculous.Totally unrealistic.
Sr20-- series is going for realism and making the player actually think,instead of just having him mass all his units and charge.

These units always tend to get knotted tight, not to mention lazy bastard tanks breaking off combat and returning to base for no apparent reason and sleeping! Get back to the ring champ!

This can occur for many reasons.They might have reached their casualty threshold and be moving to the nearest base for reppairs and replacements.
They might be low on or out of supplies/ammo and going for more.etc...

While you can play this game like a common rts,your not going to get "pretty" victories this way.
You want to totally crush your enemies, and have all of your troops live long and happy lives, your gonna have to look and go deeper.
Its a very fun game, and its a very complicated game vs the mainstream rts most play.

Your on the right track though, asking questions and examining your gameplay is the way to go :wink:
Chuckle TM
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Thanks for all the help and tip. The good part (and the only good part) of Superpower 2 was the interface which made country running smooth,elegant and easy. Actually, combat could be nonexistent if one was smart and peaceful. Also, its combat sucked so bad that I could make a few Da Nang hooker jokes. It was basically a comical Warhammer 40000'esque head on clash .

Actually, I love details in games. That's why I'm in love with this game so badly. Though a few buttons like selecting all artillery in area or infantry could be nice. Also, if anyone could have an "on spot" tip it would be sweet, like,

"You look like you are increasing sales tax. This could affect this and that bla bla..."
One bad part about the game, I don't like micromanaging every unit... oh well...

I have a habit of hating everything named Paris
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

You can actually select all artillary, and even all of a specific type of artillary (like all M109A2), and issue them all an order at once,but its a clumsy way to control large amounts of units because it doesnt take into consideration the situation of each unit selected.
And so, an order given this way to a large amount of units may be great for most of the units, and downright deadly for a handful :oops:

All you have to do, is do an area grab (hold mouse button down and slide mouse over an area).When you select all units in an area this way, a window will pop up,look at the 4 or 5 little green buttons at the bottm of the window.
They allow you to pick the units you want out of that large area grab more precisely.
And than issue them all an order at once.
Chuckle TM
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

tkobo wrote:You can actually select all artillary, and even all of a specific type of artillary (like all M109A2), and issue them all an order at once,but its a clumsy way to control large amounts of units because it doesnt take into consideration the situation of each unit selected.
Nah, my artie guns are badly scattered amongst other leftover units, but the parisians are cornered. I'll pound them to bits now! Goddamnit, can't I just broker some surrender? They will die anyway, why not unite again? I could use those men...
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Get enough money together, and you can buy peace.

I dont think ive come across a single instance that i could not buy peace in yet.

Heres an extreme example with details.
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5767

Now there was at least one patch since than, and the reaction has been tweaked downwards as it relates to how much they like you vs how much you pay them AND how many diplo deals you can que up at a time.

Which slows things down some, but does not stop the system from working.
Chuckle TM
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Thanks, I can choose one type of units now.

I mean, can't there be a merger? I have 90% of all France under my command! All that's left are a horde of stateless soldiers! Goddamnit.

EDIT: Anti ground Cruise missiles are divine for huge camp destruction. I wonder how do I intercept them though once Barcelona may be pissed off at me and attacks.

By the way, the economy policy you guys posted gave me a lot of surplus cash and I started buying all my bonds. IS that good?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

The very small interest payments on bonds makes it kinda wasteful to actually bother to pay them off unless your gonna play a VERY long game.

I do it, but not becuase its a goodthing, more becuase i hate being in debt to anyone.Even in a game :P

Theres no merger or peaceful annexation of an opponent.We hope to see it in sr2020 though.

The AI really doesnt use missiles well, so you dont have to worry there.BUT if you need to defend against them,use aircraft ,or ships, or anit-air units to defend your area.
Missile shoot down is actually a little too easy in sr2010.
Chuckle TM
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

YES! France is mine! I can't wait to play Turkey in full version!

BY the way, when only my ally, Barcelona remained, they didn't gain much land, and I had a military consisting 450 Land units, 85 Aircraft, 40 Ships, 30 Subs

When they finally declared war, a line of cruise missiles tore them apart, and I didn't need micromanaging anymore. "Unit boulders" were simply crushed by a hail of cruise missiles, then swept by hundreds of advancing tank divisions.

What is the "Construction" order on Engineers? Can it speed up construction of buildings?

And I find cruise missiles launched from aircraft a bit odd.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

That what the constrution order was meant to do,and it works.
The only catch,if you want to call it that, is that you dont even have to issue the order.

If a engineer unit is at least in an adjacent hex to a facility being built, it will automatically speed up that process.
The more engineers in range, the faster the building goes (there is a very small degradation in the increase per engineer added,but i dont know what it is and i still see an increase with 14 of them helping out,so i wouldnt worry about it)

One important thing to keep in mind, is that the increase in the build speed is accompanied by an increase in the usage of resources.
So a faciltiy being built at 3x the speed due to engineers, will use circa 3x the resources per day.
Chuckle TM
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

tkobo wrote: So a faciltiy being built at 3x the speed due to engineers, will use circa 3x the resources per day.
And that basically limits it to certain stuff like air defence and emplacements. I'm not spending 5x resources on military building
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

you realize he meant 3x resources while it's building, right? The cost to produce units from it once built is not affected. Engineers make a building that would take (as an example, not real values) 15 days and 10 tons/day instead might take 10 days but 15 tons per day. Same total cost.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

I replayed the scenario. Basic walkthrough is this:

1)Be Marseille, ally barcelona and build up a lot of consumer\industrial and military goods (the latter a bit less), be self sufficiant in EVERY aspect

2)Use superior labor efficiency to corner the market before production costs rise any further, produce and sell consumer and indus. goods a bit below world market rapidly to get fresh dollars quick, manual selling might be good, export export and export. **** Bonds, pile them up, you'll pay them later.

3)Build up army, increase recommended salaries and maintenance and solicit arms offers from World market while building up fighter bombers and SCALP missiles, plus 2 Air Defense installations in Northern border to chase away any airstrikes, covering hopefully all hexes with good distance in between. Buying launch trucks are stupid btw, SCALPS are air based.

4)Consider having multiple military factories in deactivated mode. When war erupts, open them immediately, until then, lay low and try to squeeze High tech from Paris if you can, with payments and tech offers(they'll be destroyed anyway), and cheap unit designs from others, especially APC's. Built these units to swarm Paris. Place Emplacements on the border, especially with choke points and put AT LEAST one infantry and one AT unit in entrenched mode.

5) Build up until Paris declares war on you, or even funnier, Barcelona. Immediately overrun the western enclave of Paris, then focus on the north. They'll throw themselves on the static defences, hopefully they'll be torn apart. Keep killing off until they break off, and micromanage-kill any AA's with SCALPS then air rush the capital. You may annihilate them or simply surgically hit all the big cities until they surrender.

6)Sell all Submarines and TROOP transport ships, as they are useless,gay and expensive(JK). The fresh cash should go well in improving industry efficiency. Keep exporting carefully as wages increase. Monitor exports and stock up. Build up Eurofighters if you can coax out the blueprints from Barcelona.

7)Eventually, Madrid will declare war on both of you, mostly with Portugal. Traverse Barcelonan Territory very rapidly to capture Madrid and Portugese Territory, with pounding stalemate groups with SCALPS, since the enemy should be massacred by the extremely well trained and seasoned men of yours. Don't engage Navally, Surrendered naval units can be sold.

8) Engage the "import mania hyperinflation mode" written in this forum, and stack up gadzillions and tech up until you feel satisfied. IF you do it fast, you can finish barcelona with one blow.

9)????

10)Profit!

6) 7) and 8) is dead easy.

Return to “After Action Reports”