Total AIR war europe, begins

Put your Single and Multi player AARs here please specify which it was (SP or MP).

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

The aircraft carrier assault on England is failing before it starts.

The aircraft keep deciding after combat to fly all the way back to North africa.
They are hard to catch when they do this,especially before they pass the bingo fuel point back to the carrier.
I have lost 2 aircraft already and i have not yet launched on england itself.

Not counting England,Ireland,Sweden,Finland and Norway the EU is down to 1 airstrip.
Total air facilities left including the above regions is about 22.

Though the range for the missiles themselves will likely prevent me from too much success against those targets ,as the aircraft now have to cross into EU airspace to launch.
Add to that ,the missile shoot down rate is getting very high.

France has lost a few more of its powerplants,but I dont see any effect yet from it.

EU's dar is staying at 17.Thier military aproval rate has lost about 6 points though.
The fly overs have revealed that alot of the EU ground units are currently out of fuel.

The Air War has been very fun and educational,but i have to give some serious thought to starting the ground forces rolling.

I am just not sure what the Air War will accomplish from this point on.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

Try my orders mod for help with carrier groups.
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

About how many missiles have you used per sortie?

I am sitting in the N. America scenario just prior to world map, working on my research, some resource and cash stockpiles, missile production(7k at a time), fleet production, and bomber production.

I have deactivated every single land base(except a few outposts which have all my reserves) to put the troops in my ports and aribases. All units in reserve. All airstrips on the continent have been upgraded to airbases and are pumping out missiles and planes.

Have about 40k missiles and 500 bombers(Auroras) so far.

Probably going to go another 5 years of stockpiling, then unleash the wrath on world map. :)

My main issue will be/has been the troops. Getting up to 4 million reserves has taken me awhile, and all of them are staffing my ports and airbases. Kind of wondering if I will be back down to 2-3 million once I get to worldmap.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Thanks, but im staying away from mods for some time yet.

I know I can use 2,500+ missiles in one huge multi-target attack.

I would bet the usage goes as high as 4,000 in one of the largest multi-target attacks- but cant say for sure on that one.

My best mass sorty i took out 7 air facilities and 3 nuke power plants, before the planes were landed.

That was using the full air groups of 14 bases.So - 98 planes.

I would love to see a 500 plane strike,that would be awesome.

Take plenty of screens.

I wish i had Auroras :cry: :lol:
Chuckle TM
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

The Auroras won't carry as many missiles, but they will be able to fly in and destroy everything in their path. Probably going to do more missile strikes from my ticonderogas and MLRS platforms.

Not sure exactly what I am going to do, but I am sure it will crash my comp as soon as I do it. :P

btw, is there a screenshot button other than printscreen?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Not that I know of. I use the print screen also.
Chuckle TM
Xetal
Lieutenant

Post by Xetal »

Some of those screens are insane.

I recently had the AI fire several hundred missiles at a scouting group of 6 ships. I didn't take screens or even try to count, but a rough guess would be ~300 missiles fired at my ships.

To see some of those screen shots with over 10x that many missiles just blows my mind.

It will be awsome once they fix the missle and plane AI so that you can assign your bombers a 'base' of operations that they always return to and assign priorities to their missiles so that you can get a massive stockpile of missiles and trust them to do their own thing.

You say that you are more or less moving to ground forces from here, but if you could have a dozen carriers off the coast and trust them to use their missiles in an intelligent manner (and not have to micromanage them), then I bet it would be a big help for your ground assault force.

If nothing else then the mass of missiles being fired would help to shield your shorter range attack aircraft (the kind that has to venture into enemy airspace) from AA fire.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

If i could have trusted my air units on the carriers, i would have continued the air war.

But when you can only hold 4 units per carrier and you lose 2 units to silly actions on the AIs part,and thats with you doing your best to prevent the actions and the loss,well its just not gonna be fun even if I can pull it off.

i made a save, so i can go back to the game at that point in the future if the problem gets solved.

But i started my ground war.I invaded thru spain at the straights,landing over time about 700 units.

It was over very fast and was kind of a working vacation for most of the troops I landed.

The EU military was very much out of supplies and soon started to surrender in droves.

One of the really funny things was, they would surrender in sporatic lines.

So if i picked a large group of my units and ordered them to proceed to a distant EU city, the EU units would somehow know i was going after that particular city and units would surrender in a rough line from my units (the ones given the order) to they were ordered to(the city).

Of course ,than thier new enemies would slaughter the traitors usually before i could get them to safety :lol:

But the fact that they were surrendering simply becuase they "knew" my units were on the way was just too damn funny.

I have now also conquered russia and pak/india.
I am now at war with asia and have started to progress into their land.

Oceana is still neutral, but pretty much hates my guts :lol:

Ive got well over 5000 units atm, probably about 1/2 of them are advancing into asia.
Control of this amount of units is quite limited as you might guess :wink:

Basically, i am reduced to selecting a large group of units and ordering them to a particular target.
I have about 8 of these large prongs moving forward and occasionally breaking off a piece or two to encircle a stubborn enemy force and/or help another prong advance when needed.
Chuckle TM
Xetal
Lieutenant

Post by Xetal »

Even assuming half your units are on defense, you still have 2,500 units.

If you wanted to move them one by one and each took 5 seconds it would take you just shy of 3 1/2 hours to give them each an order... so it's understandable that you move them in 'blobs'.

It is too bad that aircraft need such micromanagement (which isn't really possible on that large of a scale), because if they didn't I imagine they would be a great asset. The same is true for missiles... too much micromanagement required so it seems like using them for most circumstances would just be impractical once you get enough units to have to deal with.

I hotgroup my planes and keep 6 units per airstrip, but even then the most I could possibly manage that way would be 60 aircraft (40 if I'm using carriers)... and it doesn't seem like 40 aircraft would be worth my time if I have 2500 other offensive units I'm controlling (and as many more on defense)

As far as the invasion force goes:

What kind of units do you find yourself using? Mechanized Infantry? Tanks? Hellicopters? Mobile Artillary?

Are you using cheap but plentiful stuff? top-notch units? Units that can travel far or do well without supplies? It seems like your unit-selection priorities would change radically once you get to the point where micro-management is just about impossible.

I started a campaign starting with Mass. in New England and am writing an AAR in the form of a journal about it as I go. It's kind of interesting because it's writen from the point-of-view of my leader, which is a zealous, egotistical guy who thinks that New England (and Mass. in general) are the only ones fit to rule the world.
bwheatley
Lt. Colonel

Post by bwheatley »

You actually had 1764 planes in your group. 98 plane icons at 18 str is almost 1800 planes very nice .
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

My own forces, not ones inherited, consist of tanks, mech infrantry,mobile art and mobile sams.

The tanks are mostly m1a3(circa 40 %) and m1a5s(circa 50%).
The mech infrantry is mostly national gaurd(circa30%) and m11(circa 60%).
The mobile art is mostly Templar-I forget the designation (about 80%)
The sams are mostly Mim-204 (circa 90%)

This break down is for the units I use in combat and dont factor in the units spread around ,sitting there looking pretty.

The inherited units are an incredibly varried bunch.Up til the EU surrender I was sending most inherited units to bases,sticking them in reserve and selling them off.
But the EU bunch was simply far too many and imeddiately in combat with other regions when they came to my side.Russia actually took some ground from my newly acquired EU lands before i could "organize" those forces.
Chuckle TM
Xetal
Lieutenant

Post by Xetal »

Thanks for the answers, I'm a pretty good strategy game player... but there is always room for improvement ;)

I usually use medium/light infantry for 'expendable' assault forces, and have M1 series tanks backing them up. I use the Patriot AA trucks and Paladin mobile artillary behind my meat-wall.

Another thing I do is always build them at maximum strength, do you find yourself doing this (or suggest that this be done)?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Yes, very much so. I build every unit at maximum str.

I really dislike to lose any unit. I like my kill ration as high as possible.
As such i make sure each unit i have is as tough as i can make it and I am very careful about the situations i put my units into(most of the time).
Chuckle TM
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

China has now fallen.They earn the prize for most stubborn region.

They moved thier capital at least 6 times.

Oceania is the last standing and is falling fast.
Chuckle TM
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Oceania has now fallen.
Naval power and ground forces crushed what little ressistance Oceania could muster.
Chasing thier capital around those damn islands was the hardest part.

http://www.littleminer.com/getimg.php?img=yay.JPG

http://www.littleminer.com/getimg.php?img=yay1.JPG

So ends the war .[/url]
Chuckle TM

Return to “After Action Reports”