Azerbaijan

Put your Single and Multi player AARs here please specify which it was (SP or MP).

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Pajari
Warrant Officer

Azerbaijan

Post by Pajari »

EDIT: This was a single player game.

I tend to pick the crappiest nations for play in any game- it was Yugoslavia in Hearts of Iron, Sudan in Superpower 2, and in this game I vowed to try my hand at leading Azerbaijan to dominance of the lower Caucasus region of the Russian scenario.

First, I started out with a surprisingly robust economy and a decent military (relative to Armenia and Georgia...) largely because Azerbaijan is unique among Caucasus nations in posessing a large amount of offshore oil platforms. Also, Azerbaijan has a pretty solid industrial base and enough electrical power to see it through. So, on the economic front, to my immense surprise, things were going rather well.

Diplomatically, every scenario in this game is a minefield. The Russian scenario is no different. I could care less about Armenia or Georgia invading me, but the awesome power of the North Caucasus state towered over puny Azerbaijan to the north. If I attacked anyone, they'd be sure to intervene and kick my ass in fairly short order. So, naturally, I pursued an alliance with them, greasing the plams of their diplomats with a little Caspian Sea Crude courtesy of my oil platforms. So, after a few weeks of bargaining, I was safe and secure on the diplomatic front too.

I had my eyes on the coal deposits of Armenia and the additional industrial capacity of Georgia, so to that end I mobilized and took over Armenia in a week or so. Georgia declared war on me and I subdued them within a month. So, with my border to the north secured indefinitely and my military and economy at home steadily increasing, I was sitting pretty.

But I didn't sit still for long.

I upgraded my sole naval pier to a base capable of producing ships and poured all of my money into a new research facility and naval research. I was planning a cross- sea invasion of Turkmenistan.

To make a long, involved story short, I got Kazkhstan on my side and invaded Turkmenistan. In a rare show of opportunistic warmongering (sarcasm) the AI Kazkhstan declared war and took a large chunk of north Turkmenistan. But, most importantly, I got the coastline and the major cities.

The naval invasion was actually the most demanding thing I've ever done in this game- not only did I have to plan and build up my economy years in advance, but I also had to research/buy the technology and the units nessecary to mount the invasion, which was a much harder process than it may seem. I had to basically build an airforce from scratch, too, which was a pain. But it eventually paid off when I couquered Turkmenistan in two weeks, with the help of Kazkhstan.

Standing astride the Caspian Sea like a colossus, I finished the game at the high point of my formerly-insignificant nation's power. I'm going to play Azerbaijan again on the world map and see if things turn out differently with Iran and Turkey to the south.

And after that I'm re-playing my home state of Idaho and seeing if I can finally pull off an invasion of Wyoming successfully.
Moritz
Captain

Post by Moritz »

interesting AAR. I like it ! If you ever play as a latin-american country, feel free to PM me !
BTW: what did you use as your main tank ?
Welcome to modern warfare this isn't C&C
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

Well that was an interesting read. I designed the "Russia" scenario and it was interesting to hear how someone planned and then excuted an attack. One thing I thought I would mention. Our current "world map" is playable from nice regions... so you'd be playing the Russian region as a united country against the rest of the world. We hope to eventually design the world map with more regions (around 30), but alas, I don't think Azerbaijan will be one of the playable regions.

Have fun with the rest of your battles!
Pajari
Warrant Officer

Post by Pajari »

I honestly don't know. It was most likely an older Soviet model, like the t-72, but I mostly focused on cheaper infantry and some light IFV's. For most of my opponents, artillery, airpower and infantry were enough to destroy them.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Interesting.

I like the idea that someone would actually plan and execute the sea invasion (instead of my tactic of not planning!). It would seem then that as long as you work towards an end it can work...

I look forward to being able to emulate your success...
Pajari
Warrant Officer

Post by Pajari »

Legend wrote:Well that was an interesting read. I designed the "Russia" scenario and it was interesting to hear how someone planned and then excuted an attack. One thing I thought I would mention. Our current "world map" is playable from nice regions... so you'd be playing the Russian region as a united country against the rest of the world. We hope to eventually design the world map with more regions (around 30), but alas, I don't think Azerbaijan will be one of the playable regions.

Have fun with the rest of your battles!
I haven't played the world scenario yet, but now that I think of it, with all the detail crammed into every nation, it would bring my computer to a crawl. I look forward to the expansion of the world scenario- it's a pity that you couldn't expand it to more regions.

Return to “After Action Reports”