Treaty Secrecy...

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

perhaps we account for this again by use of our storylines... We direct players to points of interest and then direct other players to the fact that a section of their region my be of interest to a different region... thus creating a point of contention, an area of conflict, a place of concern...etc.
RCBricker
Captain

Post by RCBricker »

maybe.

I think that it would be something for MP on the world map.

It is really a curiosity question really like i said not used as much as pre WWII.
red
General

Post by red »

I think you will find sphere of influences develop in large multiplayer games.
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

in multiplayer when you sign a formal alliance treaty that includes other treaties such as line of sight it becomes public... however partial alliances (only line of sight for example) are not public.

In MP games the 'fun treaty' is mutual defense. It is a private treaty and it's interesting the ways we try to avoid pulling another region into a battle... We send emails to each other asking if there are mutual defense treaties... and at times try to buy each others allegiance.
RCBricker
Captain

Post by RCBricker »

what is a line of sight treaty?
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

a region you play has line of sight based on several factors, such as spotting planes, radar, etc. pretty much your territory is nice and visible and other regions are greyed out - so you don't see moving units. When you sign a line of sight treaty you can see what is happening in other regions as they can in your region... needless to say, don't sign a line of sight treaty with a region you plan to attack as they'll see you build up on their border.

Line of sight is similar to other games when they call it "fog of war".
RCBricker
Captain

Post by RCBricker »

lol ok got you.

is there a way to make a one sided LOS?
RCBricker
Captain

Post by RCBricker »

bump
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Certainly, any treaty can be offered and not requested or requested and not offered. However, you'll find that the AI, programmed after George's playing style is quite paranoid :) It will almost never accept a one way treaty. Even in it's favor, it thinks your trying to suck it into a trap.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
RCBricker
Captain

Post by RCBricker »

even if you are more powerful you cannot get the AI to accept a lopsided deal?

answer when you can
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The AI is hard to intimidate.

AI programming is hard not only from the angle of "how to program it" but also from the "what should it want to do?" angle. If you look at most games single player vs. multiplayer is a very different experience. When you find a game where the single player is a little weak, I've often heard ppl say "it should be more like multiplayer" but that's a double edged sword. If you and I where playing a multiplayer game and you had me over a barrel and then demanded I give you some technology, I'm more likely to go down swinging or surrender to another player than to accept your demands. Call it human pride or machismo, but ppl often play that way. Our AI has more of a human leaning in that respect. If you offer him a one way extradition in his favor and he accepts, this increases your standings with all players slightly. Enough of these and you can use minor treaties to boost your ratings, form a coalition, and come back to kick his butt :)

As I mention, it's a very paranoid AI at the moment :) We are still looking at it (despite going gold) and look forward to feedback once users have it in their hands. I'm sure that each update we make going forward will continue to tweak the AI where we come up with good ideas.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”