The World Market Sucks A**!

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Khorne
Major

The World Market Sucks A**!

Post by Khorne »

I FINNALY UNITED KOREA AND THE WORLD MARKET BOYCOTTED OIL TO ME AND NOW IM SCREWD THOSE DAMN BASTARDS MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE NORMAL RELATIONS WITH THE WORLD SO IF YOU THINK THE WORLD MARKET IS MORE EVIL THAN ROSIE ODONNALD GO AHEAD AND REPLY :evil:

<Edit by Moderator> Adjusted title to remove shout as per discussion.
Go Home and Die
red
General

Post by red »

Press <ENTER> in the game and type:

cheat allowcheats
cheat shelovesme
Khorne
Major

Post by Khorne »

i did but it didnt get rid of the boycott eh
Go Home and Die
Khorne
Major

Post by Khorne »

WELL I STAND FIRM WITH MY OPINION THAT THE WORLD MARKET IS A PIECE OF HORSE **** LYING IN A FIELD SOMEWHERE

how can i be a brutal dictater with them always on my back
Go Home and Die
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

Perhaps a little more finesse is in order?
While WM can be capricious, my own experience is that on balance it generally requires considerable provocation to attract true badness from the WM. While the protocols of the game may be fair game for discussion, it is rather consistent in its responses. Maybe a bit more cloak and a bit less dagger?
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Khorne
Major

Post by Khorne »

i was north korea besides i like the dagger
Go Home and Die
Khorne
Major

Post by Khorne »

RIGHT NOW IM SUPRISED THOSE BOYZ AT BATTLEGOAT HAVENT SHUT ME DOWN YET I NEVER THOUGHT THIS THREAD WOULD LAST MORE THAN A DAY OR 2
Go Home and Die
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Why? You don't like the WM. We already asked for feedback on the game, you're giving your feedback, but I would suspect that you got kicked out for good reason. I was considering retyping your topic so you're not shouting, but you're discussing with other players, why would we delete that?

Besides, if you where on the World scenario with no WM, instead of being kicked out, you'd have everyone at war with you (thus boycotting you) and still have no way to trade...

I think I will move this thread to Diplomacy however...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Khorne
Major

Post by Khorne »

well i dont mean to shout but it took me quite a while to beat the south koreans and the world market made it impossible for me to defend my self and then my planes all crashed and my tanks and trucks were stranded like sittin ducks so by all means sorry if i offended you guys over at battle goat at all cause supreme ruller is an awsome game
Go Home and Die
red
General

Post by red »

I don't think how WM ratings work out is that inaccurate. I only really don't like that the WM will disapprove of you even if you are attacked by everyone around you after lowing your buildcap well below them and so on... rather unfair. I once played Africa and despite never declaring war on anyone, I had to use shelovesme four or five times just to play it through.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Khorne wrote:...by all means sorry if i offended you guys over at battle goat at all cause supreme ruller is an awsome game
No worries, we're tough ;). Besides, even we've cursed at the WM a few times, but playing from North Korea I'm not very surprised. Look at N. Korea today, it's still under US sanctions, if war broke out again I think it is realistic that the rest of the world would stop dealing with them.
red wrote:I don't think how WM ratings work out is that inaccurate.
I certainly would have no problems with seeing some of this adjusted. One of the things I've been pushing hard for as our next area of the engine to expand on is the actions/consequences to be able to more actively affect not only your relations with the WM but with the other regions as well. However, I'm not the guy with my eye on "the big picture", so I don't set the development schedule :)
red wrote:I only really don't like that the WM will disapprove of you even if you are attacked by everyone around you after lowing your buildcap well below them and so on...
What difficulty level do you play at? If you're above normal the WM will always end up hating you it seems. In richer regions I can usually keep it from falling below 15% by keeping moderate taxes and high social spending, but it is a struggle. I asked George about this and he confirmed that it is programmed to work this way. Legend and I were chatting over lunch the other day that we should have a way of setting military difficulty to very hard while keeping diplomatic dealings and WM opinions at the normal settings.

Ideas for the future of the game I guess ;)

See Khorne? What started as you're frustration has turned into a meaningful discussion
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Khorne
Major

Post by Khorne »

it took me about 2 years to modernize north korea and i still almost lost but ether way i have a qeustion would the world market have forgiven me if had of switched to democracy before the next senario
Go Home and Die
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

Probably not...
It's not that simple.
You would have had to have a few positive diplomatic interactions with other regions - as evidenced by diprelate/civrelate/CB/treaty integrity as well as WM rating.

You can be as oppressive as you want in terms of taxes and prices, but you also have to cut loose with the social subsidies, research, and high military salaries to do so. It's a push-pull world.

You can certainly march your armies from one coast to another, but it works better if you curry some WM support before you do so. In my own games, my WM rating generally remains in the top 25%, but I seem to be able to do whatever I want after achieving that.

Buildcap is admittedly a crude metric, and hopefully the goats will put some time into fixing that some day - in the meantime, it ain't that hard to shut down a few bases that you arent using anyway in the early years of a campaign. Get the WM rating up, then build bases where you need them. Finesse. There are other things that also work, but you have to work them out for yourself - as what works for me won't work for you. Overall, bashing headlong into a brick wall is generally not the most effective approach - at least not in this game.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
red
General

Post by red »

Balthagor wrote:What difficulty level do you play at?
Very hard. Separate difficulty levels would be nice...
Khorne
Major

Post by Khorne »

i played at normal difficulty
Go Home and Die

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”