France scenario, how do i not make everyone attack me?

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Journier
Captain

France scenario, how do i not make everyone attack me?

Post by Journier »

I like a france scenario, really nice setup, anyways.

I shutdown most of my military bases etc, not building any units at all, marseille attacks me,

then after i have marseille almost defeated then the next closest nation attacks me, then the next closest nation after ive defeated the last almost....

I didnt even start any of these wars, and i KEEP trying to get peace, offering like 40 billion and some military units and... alot of other stuff.

they dont accept my peace offer, is there a trick to this?

the world market has stopped selling me oil supplies, so im pretty much ruined in this game.

how do I avoid war in this scenario next time?
red
General

Post by red »

You can't avoid it, in my experience.
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

"How do I avoid war...?"

Post by Il Duce »

Ultimately the question will be "How do I inspire war when in it is my favor?" You can only buy off your adversaries so long, and at some point they will even pay the price of breaking treaties to go to war with you. The trick seems to be [IMO, and there are many other opinions], getting the specific conflict you want when you need it, without triggering other conflicts that you are not ready for. It's a balancing act.

I tend to play campaigns which do not have reunification votes, therefore, war is always necessary to complete the victory. Scenarios which have reunification votes have a different dimension for their strategies, as going to war in those is basically a way of screwing up someone's preparation for the vote. Going to war in a total conquest scenario basically means that the war[s] will never end until the complete map is conquered, by you or someone else.

It's a classic approach-avoidance anxiety.

In practical terms you have to keep in mind not only your own objectives [and ideological preferences, if you think you can afford them,] but every other region's objectives as well. Peace is not always in everyones' mutual interest. AI regions go to war when they are redy for the long-term conflict, and in my experience they rarely call cease-fires or sue for peace, particularly with each other. There are other threads discussing this, as there seems to be an issue with perpetual irresolvable conflict - primarily because they are noisy.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Journier
Captain

Post by Journier »

also, in the end of that game, i ended up getting the tech for synthetic fuel and got about 90% of my demand covered.

lol only way i was able to do that is by completely surrounding portugal, to let me research more stuff.

even while they were surrounded by there last few cities, and in debt beyond all comprehension, and never had a chance, i still made them peace offers, everything i had for peace.....

they said no :/

diplomacy is rough/

EDIT just remembered.

why did the world market start to hate me? i didnt start the wars :/ hell i nearly lost when marseille attacked me because i had scrapped the majority of my army, which was fun as heck, but after i recovered, and killed the 1 state, then got declared war on by the next state,

pretty much a domino effect, of my never starting the war... still my world market opinion dropped to nothing very quickly, and there was no way for me to raise that opinion... or so i think?

thanks for reply.
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

They hate you because your build cap (building capacity) it higher than anyone else in the region. TOoo me some time to learn this lesson. Prevention is therefore better than recovery. Always watch your build capacity, try to make it one lower than your adversaries and you are safe. However, if you realy have no other cgoice, you can limit the negative effects, by incresing your DAR (Domestic Apprival Rating). THis can be accomplished by investing heavaly in solial services. Especialy Environment and Crime seam to have a positive effect on your relation with the WM (WorldMarket)
not going forward eqeals to going backward
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

:lol: Had the WM hate me with my build cap 5 lower than everyone else and my DAR going up think it was 50 something %. Wasn't developing nukes or anything. And I wasn't even launching tomahawks at the WM either. Maybe they still remember all the times I had launch tomahawks on them. :D And I didn't do anything for them to hate me. But oh well ended up launching tomahawks on the WM for hating me for no reason. :D I gave them something to hate me for.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”