Diplomacy improved Patch 1.3?

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Sebastiaan
Colonel

Diplomacy improved Patch 1.3?

Post by Sebastiaan »

Question, is diplomacy improved after patch 3? Can you still improve relation with neighbour regions sending them candy (small amounts of money) or does it require more a it should?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

You can still do it.

ALTHOUGH, i was turned down by a few regions who utterly hated my region, even though they were one sided deals.

This might be new as i dont remember ever being turned down on a one sided deal before.

(with the deal favoring the region im offering)
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

Turned down, that sound like an inprovement :P

Question, how do you play diplomacy game in post patch 3?
Phoenix
Corporal

Post by Phoenix »

That is quite a good question. Playing a diplomacy game was never easy and it seems every country in this world have a sole mission of hating you faster than the next country... :-?

You could always stop producing military units, shutting down all the bases and send all your cash/tech/ressource surplus to the other countries for 5 years and see what happens. (if your lucky enough not to have been invaded 4 times in the mean time)
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Paradox diplomacy

Post by Il Duce »

I tend to like to work diplomacy before warfare, although I am no expert. I have also been struggling a bit with diplo changes in patch 3. Here's my experience....

...Select potential allies carefully - observe the geopolitical realities and work the likely candidates persistently.

...Perversely, it helps if you court allies for whom you have a moderate belli [and this presumes that you are in fact an effective threat should you choose to pursue warfare instead]. Makes you look a peacemaker.

...gifts are good. Cash or goods, doesn't seem to matter. If you can get the governments to trust you, you're o.k. [I used to never send cash, but I have had to change that with this patch.] Patch three thing - don't start handing out gifts until you have surpluses - wait until you have demonstrated that you are a going concern with a happy population that will never be conquered.

...At some point you will propose, say, free trade. They will respond with "sure, free trade and a zillion bucks." At this point I typically respond with, "Well, how about free trade, about a tenth of a zillion bucks, and oh, yeah, how about an embassy and extradition, and free migration, and transits with that?" So far, invariably, they will accept. A dab of consumer goods along with the cash also helps, something to hand out to the population.

Later on you can work up to Line of Sight [which is all I ever want in the first place], and then if you need it, a formal alliance. Remember, your counterpart may also want the relationship without publishing an alliance, as evidenced by the belli and diplo rating.

Work on no more than one or two prospects at a time, and yes, you will have to settle for those you exclude going even further into a diplo snit. Who cares? As long as they are non-adjacent and have no belli against you, let 'em snivel.

One thing that AI's seem to understand is that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. If a region that has been distant engages in hostilities with a country you wish to see wasting its resources on warfare, then by all means send along some industrial and military goods periodically. It will reduce belli yet let them remain unallied. Ask for nothing in return. [Think US supporting Iraq against Iran. Or US supporting Iran against Iraq. Just remember where you are in that game and be happy that there is no news media or congressional oversight factor in this game. WM seems to appreciate carefully played deceits.]

Ultimately [IMO, for the diplo game], all you really want is for everyone to have no belli against you, but no particular alliances to get dragged into either. You want to have moderate belli against them but act with restraint. Then sit back and watch the chaos unfold around you as you build and refine your infrastructure and forces. Let the others fight each other with their obsolete units as you replace all of yours with up to date stuff, keeping your buildcap low of course. Let them create refugees to migrate to your happy region, where the grass is greener.

Oh, yeah, as far as WM goes, sometimes you need to take a clue from WM and offer gifts to whoever WM seems to be favoring. Sometimes you want to take an opposing stance, and make up for WM slights. Overall, I consider I'm on my game if I am handing out goods just ahead of WM to the same candidate.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
konan
Lieutenant

Post by konan »

Ciao duce

Your diplomacy knoledge and tactcs is very nice and interesting but personally i play in a diferent way.

I am more war friendly and moany time i don't care of diplomacy indeed as peace with nearby country. For me is only a way to improve my country to be ready for the hell war :)

In map as europe or middle-east i usually set an alliance with some country that are in a strategic position, possibily small so i can have during my advance a friendly place to reach :D

More and more i have the tendence to set up diplomatic option in this way:

- embassy
- treaty sight
- free trade / labour
- alliance

Mostly i see in diplomacy the fastest way to trade tecnology from everyone at everyprice.

I belive that best diplomacy is made as the USA has done in 1800 with Japan ... with the Warship in port ;)

In Supreme ruler diplomacy is important factor and many times is necessary to win a game or at lest to survive but hey .. choose right country and have fun ;)
konan

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”