Fair diplomacy?

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

Back to my original question which I still do not have an an answer.

What would be a fair amount to increase your relation with a one sided tready.

What about the following formula:

amount offered = ((source polulation + target population)) x (source gdp + target gdp) / 2000

for example :

source population = 10 milion people, source GDP = 17000
target polultaion = 20 milion people , target GDP = 21000

them amount to offfer them would be ((10M + 20M) x ($17000 + $ 21000)) / 2000 = $ 114M.

sound like a reasonable number, what do you think?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I'm not sure that you can attach a fixed dollar amount or even a formula to one way treaties. Sometimes they are useful, sometimes not. If you're trying to use the formula to suggest when the AI should accept one way treaties, I don't think we can look at just a dollar amount, the purpose of the game is not to make money, we need to give the AI formulas where it can determine if action A helps it achieve goal B. If it is the AI you're talking about, I should also move this thread to the proper section.

If you're not, I think humans look at many factors, such as strategic impact of the treaty, current relations, threat level, and what is being offered. If I'm being attacked form one side and someone on the other side, neutral to me at war with my enemy, asks for transit, I'm likely to give it for free. In a similar situation, if I am between two nations at war, I'm unlikley to give either side transit as I would worry about becoming their battleground.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

I'm simply trying to put some restriction on myself to prevent me getting the idea that i'm cheating (I hate that). THerefore I must try to formulte a set of rules which I have to obey while playing the game. THat 's all.

I'm just wondering how other people handle this problem. They must either not use one side treadiest (gifts) at all, or do it at minimum cost (= cheating) or ignore diplomacy all together and simply are constantrly in war, or (what I'm looking for) following some personal gameply rules

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”