Using diplomacy. What seems to work for me is......

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

isupreme
Captain

Post by isupreme »

Step 1. Deciding before i begin what diplomacy i want. Once game starts the population of nearly EverY country will quickly begin to make diplomacy nearly imposssible. Basicly i am doing a barrage of diplomacy at start then moving on to other elements.

Step 2. Bribes, and more Bribes. Giving lump sums, montly payments, agriculture, lots of little gifts to get the diplomates happy at least.

Step 3. Treaty time. Free trade. Last two campaigns (Georgia and South Africa) i got virtually everyone in every stage to agree to free trade.
I am starting with this then addiing immigration, criminal extradite, worker, etc on top as the country will allow. All the way up to and including line of site treaties. I often could decide to make a formal alliance if i wished to at this stage. Embassy is last thing they will agree to seems like. More bribes each time i get what i want and usually more bribes if i dont!

I used to find diplomacy impossible but i think the key is to decide right away and act. Hmmm...... sounds like strategy..... smells like strategy.

Anyone else find similar or differing diplomatic tactics?
tboy21
Major

Post by tboy21 »

have you looked in my tutorial of how to make the diplomatic relatios better and fast?

if not, take a quick peek

http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4868&start=0
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

True and i have also mentioned doing small payments dozens of times works wonders many times in these forums.

But the key he is addressing is doing it fast, right from the start, and i have to agree. The attitude towards your country still declines, but now it arent the diplomats but the people. And again there is no real reason to be found for it. Of course you can say it dpends on many small things, but apparently i am doing that wrong every new campaign.

So the trick is indeed, many small 'bribes' right from the start, dont bother with annualy just as yet, maybe after the update. And i do everything i want. But i am getting carefull iwth formal alliances, when you break them (they never!!! want to) you get a drop in WM ratings, but also in your treaty ratings. But with formal alliance you are sure they NEVER will attack you!

But i mostly use the 999 annual payments of 3 million for techs!!! I absolutely love those. And when the attitude towars you is optimal (due to the small bribes) then the techs can be optained even cheaper then they are worth.

I dont really know if free trade helps so much, but embassies are really not worth it. It doesnt do jack for you.
but indeed free trade, formal alliance etc right from the start is my strat.

Adding jsut this, some people you just want to war. Because it is the nearest or has resources you want. But holding of an attack till you are ready is key here.

And again some small bribes nwo and then help to keep it of bay for he time you need to build up.
isupreme
Captain

Post by isupreme »

But i mostly use the 999 annual payments of 3 million for techs!!! I absolutely love those. And when the attitude towars you is optimal (due to the small bribes) then the techs can be optained even cheaper then they are worth.
Nice. I will try this out.

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”