Can I provoke a neighbor?

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Draken
General
Human: Yes

Post by Draken »

Sometimes it takes more than a month...

What scenario and region are you playing in?
Chef Pepin
Sergeant

Post by Chef Pepin »

I was playing Argentin on South America. I wanted to take out Uruguay.

I really do love this game. However, the timelines don't seem to work equally moving in different directions.

Example: I get my economy humming along and the unemployment drops like a rock. It goes from 6% to 3.5% in 6 months. So I deactivate facilities, build only to demand, raise domestic pricing and taxes to cool it off. The unemployment then raises from 3.5% to 4.1% in 6 months.

I know it has been discussed before, but this seems to be the opposite of reality where it is easier to cool an economy than get it going.
MadCat
Corporal

Post by MadCat »

I'm having the same problem. I'm W. Germany in the German campaign and I've been at peace for THREE YEARS with Benelux, S. and E. Germany. I don't want to declair war on them because that is political suicide. In the state dept. E. and S. Germany show small green bars, which mean that they're not about to attack me. Benelux, however, has had a bar FULL of red-orange color and they haven't attacked me. I've never been attaced, and as I see it that is the only way to increase my economy, which is slowly slipping from my grasp. My only option that I see is to attack Benelux, but whenever I do that the other countries start attacking me and I loose the scenario. Any ideas?

Here's a list of things that I can think of to encourage them to attack me:
Ops. Dept. -- Prepare to attack, Increase military readiness
Def. Dept. -- Military Buildup
State. Dept. -- Openly and Secretly undermind enemies

Would the following help?
--Raise the Defcom levels
--Develop nuclear, chemical and biological weapons
--Place units near their border (to show a threatening agression)
--Take units away from their border (to show a vulnerability)
--Increasing the size of my military
--Boycott trading with them
--Sending angry diplomatic statements towards them
Chef Pepin
Sergeant

Post by Chef Pepin »

You've seen my post as to what I've tried without success. You experience is what happens to me as well. If I just declare war, everyone counters and declares war on me.

I didn't intend to stray from the diplomacy subject when I mentioned timelines and economics. Diplomacy is just the same.

After SEVERAL WEEKS of activities such as boycotting, excessive build capacity, etc. I couldn't budge their belli 1%. Declare war and everyone elses belli INSTANTLY jumps 50%!

On second thought, maybe I could just accuse them of having WMD. Then I would have justification for war.....right?
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Right I no its only a temperary help until AI upgrades come out but...

Make alliances with 50% of your nieghbours...

Pick one region to attack first...

The ones that your not gonna attack and line the border with them with Entrenchments...

Fill the Bunkers with 3 garrisons, two anti-tank units (Ones that can fight semi-decent in Close-Combat too are great choices), and two leg artillary... Plus have some units of Light Infantry to back up any breaches... Plus have some static (If ya can afford them) AA-Defenses... if not Towed will do fine... Put them Near if not next too your bunkers...

Double the Line if you have the man-power and money...

It'll come in handy when your the Raging Beast in a bit...

On the Non-Bunkered Border put Mech Infantry Supported by Tanks (If availible) and Light Infantry... Plus some Artillary units...

Storm the ***kers... More than Likely the ones who you are not allied with will attack you... The Border Defenses should hold back their first attack and if they break thru anywhere use the light infantry you left behind to Stop them 'DON'T PURSUE THEM' (unless your some1 like tkobo who can beat everyone with a sh*tty little country like Qatar :lol: )

Rinse and repeat untill all non-allied border Sharing Regions are gone...

I'm yet to come up with a good way of attacking allies well, without getting booted straight out of the WM that is...

So you better be self-Realiant on most of your stuff for this too work...

Or you could do the tried and tested 'Give 8mil 200 times' to lower the Beli-Bar rating when you declare war on some1... before some1 else declares war on u that is...
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

MadCat wrote:... Benelux, however, has had a bar FULL of red-orange color and they haven't attacked me.
I just checked the .GMC file and Benelux is set to an AI agenda of 7 which is reunification. It's looking to make allies and will not likely attack first. Generally, for them to attack W. Germany would be military suicide :)

Could you declare war on someone else, someone you have higher justification against? If so, declaring war should not affect you too much (assuming very high justification) but should push Benelux over the edge.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”