World Market Votes

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

Votes a Region can Request of the World Market is the latest section we've started implementing.

Problem is, I hadn't worked much on that spreadsheet and when we got to implementation I realized there really weren't that many items to choose from. That might be the correct way to go as it could add weight to the vote request process. Anyways, here's the list of Voting Items we have. Let me know if you feel we've missed something important.

Military Sanctions - Raise the price that another Region would have to pay for Military Goods or Units
Military Embargo - Prevents another Region from purchasing Military Goods or Units
Direct Military Intervention - WM sends Military Units to Attack chosen Region
Peace Keeping - WM sends Military Units to your Region to defend against chosen Region
Military Aid - WM provides your Region with extra Units (manned so they won't eat into your reserves)
Economic Sanctions - WM raises the selling price of all commodities to chosen Region
Trade Embargo - WM boycotts the selling of all commodities to chosen Region
Trade Penalties - WM raises the selling price of non essential commodities to chosen Region
Humanitarian Aid - WM provides essential commodities to chosen Region
Economic Aid - WM provides economic relief to the chosen Region
Censure - WM chastises chosen Region for its actions (possible first step towards harsher actions)
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Can't remember if this is applicable but...

Acceptance to the world market. Region is made a member of the WM

Expulsion... Region is expelled from the WM

Actually, the first one may only apply to the region wanting to join/rejoin the WM.
Expelling a region (for perhaps 12 months minimum) might be a useful tactic.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

For sanctions will a majority vote suffice?
Will we get notice for up comming votes?
Most importantly, will we be able to put pressure and or offer incentives to other regions to vote for what we want. E.g. give Turkish region lots of $ to vote for interevtion too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dust off on 2003-10-28 04:39 ]</font>
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Nice idea about bribing...

The payment should be made IF they vote as you request.

Voting choices are made public??
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

World Market Expulsion should now make the list as well as voting on new members joining --- Good Idea! (The World Market Membership comes with an Annual Fee based on your population and your GDP/c, so this will eliminate the cheap tactic of quitting the WM when you're short of cash and then rejoining when you have some money again.)

World Market Votes will come in via the in-game EMail system and you will have a week to send in your vote. Results will also be EMailed. We might summarize how other Regions in your current scenario voted, but we won't be listing all WM Members.

I really like the idea of bribing for control of someone else's WM Vote. How modern-day a suggestion :grin: However we'll have to incorporate that into the "Treaties between Regions" Section. Something akin to "WM Voting Control" in exchange for whatever. When this agreement is in place, then that region's votes automatically are the same as yours - they won't be given the opportunity to cast an independent vote. We'll likely impose a timeline of one month for each signed agreement - so you only bribe them right before a key vote. The only problem with implementation on this could be that the agreement can only be sold to one region at a time... Well, we'll do our best to get this in.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

i think this was asked before, but dont remember the answer and cant find it.

Any vetoes ?
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

No, there won't be any vetos. No region is in a position of that much power under our story line.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

While we are talking about the world market:
I would like to know what kind of equipment the WM would have.

Is it still planned that the WM might use WMD?
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

We might summarize how other Regions in your current scenario voted, but we won't be listing all WM Members.
That's exactly what I was hoping for. How the other regions in the scenario vote may well be important to know. External (non-scenario) members of the WM are essentially one faceless mass where you probably have little influence anyway.

I like the suggested implementation of buying another regions vote. A neat way of arranging it!

If at some time a region is not a member of the WM do they get asked if they want to join (when the WM feels they are ready) or does the region have to apply to join?
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Will be glad to see the buying of votes option. :smile: When you say that in the implementation we will only be able to buy one vote at a time do you mean either 1. will only be able to influence the vote of one nation per voted issue. or 2. we will be able to buy more than one vote but that the interface only allows one bribe at a time and we will have to go through each region seperately??
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

I 'think' they mean that if you were to sell your vote (can we do this?? see below) then you only have one vote to sell (one vote per occasion). That vote cannot be sold 3 times. For a different voting occasion you would be able to sell your vote to another region or cast it yourself.

That seems to make the most sense. I would think that you would have to make separate arrangements for each region and each vote called, but you could buy the votes of multiple regions for one voting occasion.

That might be a bit fiddly but I wouldn't have thought that you would need the option every time...assuming you could afford it.

Having the opportunity to sell my vote for goods/cash would be a useful strategy especially if my economy is struggling. This option should be included if at all possible.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 3iff on 2003-10-31 04:09 ]</font>
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Equipment the World Market will have : Likely similar to the equipment list of whatever scenario you are in. It is assumed that they are coming from one of the regions that border the scenario you are playing so there will be some geographic influence. As well, they will likely have a mix of all equipment lists available to them. We'll have to take a look at this in more detail over the next few weeks.

The WM may use WMD, but it would only be in response to their use irresponsible by a region in any specific scenario. They will not instigate WMD warfare.

As to the selling of votes... We've run into some implementation problems with this and have had to revise how they will be handled. Any WM member has a vote on any issue that comes up. It will be possible for you to sign a treaty with another region that they will control your vote. That agreement will not expire, you would have to revoke it if you wanted to regain control of your vote. Putting a treaty into place that tracked its own expiration date was something we hadn't allowed for in the design. And yes I did mean that you only have one vote to sell, so if X sells their vote to Y, they can't turn around and also sell it to Z.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Ooops.... Forgot about the question about WM membership. The World Market will not "ask" you to join. It will be in the best interests of any region to be a member --- better commodity prices and access to international markets, possible aid packages, etc.

We will make most, if not all of the regions in the game, WM Members at the beginning of each scenario. They would only become non-members if they committed some action that got them expelled from the WM, or if they voluntarily chose to end their WM Membership to save some money (there is an annual fee based on population and GDP/c).
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

I think it would be great to have one region in each scenario that wasnt in the world market.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

We won't force that... It'll be up to the way the regions develop themselves.

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”