World Market Votes

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

So, if a region is not a member of the WM, it will have to make a special request to join (and pay fees). The existing members will then get to vote on that application to join.

Is the vote decided on a majority (50.1% or does it have to reach (say) 75%?? What if the vote is exactly 50%?
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

I think that WM Membership votes will largely be skewed towards accepting new members and 50% would be the threshold (So at 50% exactly you would be granted membership -- but maybe we'll make it so that the Offscreen WM always has an odd number of votes so we won't ever get an even split).
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Sounds good. I would have thought the WM would want extra members.

When voting, do we just get a yes/no or can we abstain? If so, then having an odd number of voters would not solve anything. I'm perfectly happy with 50% of votes meaning yes...although if you count only votes cast - ignoring abstensions, that would be easier.

Whoops, have I caused another problem??
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

No... Not a problem at all. After all, Regions will only have a set time to vote so some might not even be bothered to send any vote in.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

You're right.

I can imagine being so busy doing things that I 'forget' to cast votes.
chancellor
Sergeant

Post by chancellor »

How about world market policies?

say allowing/dissaloawing nukes/bio/chem weapons.

Say nuclear reactors suddenly go out of style when the WM bans them

maybe transfer payments from rich to poor?

favored nation status

assasinations

yeah that's all I got right now.

I really think there should be a physical manifestation of the WM on the map, so as to have the ability to knock them out. Obviously they would have great resources available, but I think it only natural that someone not in the WM would attempt to destroy its ability to affect them locally.

~Matt~
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

They are there physically on the map hell they may attack YOU if you piss them off enough but the fact is in the smaller scenarios you're simply too weak to hurt them it has been said once you get to the final stages where your more dominant you effectively over ride the WM as you're so powerful :-)
Lonewulf
Warrant Officer

call me crazy....

Post by Lonewulf »

I dont know if this has even been suggested, but would it be possibly to have an option to eliminate the WM as a whole in a game, or in the scenerio editory? If someone wants to just play the world/game in a atmosphere of no big organazation restrictions. This might screw up the AI, or something...but I just thought if its not to difficult....having an option just might offer another variable of customization.
LMK
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Two options have been looked at for this. First, there will be a version of the World map with no world marekt. All territory will be owned by players, human or AI.

The second option is to be able to set the WM to fully reactive in Multiplayer or singleplayer scenarios. You can't eliminate WM in maps below the world level since the map doesn't include the whole world. The WM represents the regions not included in the map you're playing. If you did a US Michigan map without a WM there would be no oil for anyone. By setting it to Reactive, the WM should do nothing unless directly attacked. They would even ignore players nuking each other. But it would also ignore requests for help. basically, it would only trade goods and protect itself.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

Balthagor wrote:Two options have been looked at for this. First, there will be a version of the World map with no world marekt. All territory will be owned by players, human or AI.

The second option is to be able to set the WM to fully reactive in Multiplayer or singleplayer scenarios. You can't eliminate WM in maps below the world level since the map doesn't include the whole world. The WM represents the regions not included in the map you're playing. If you did a US Michigan map without a WM there would be no oil for anyone. By setting it to Reactive, the WM should do nothing unless directly attacked. They would even ignore players nuking each other. But it would also ignore requests for help. basically, it would only trade goods and protect itself.

EXCELLENT!
Missiles!! Nukes!
Ricardo
Corporal

Is there a inspection group for WMD???

Post by Ricardo »

Is there a inspection group for WMD when it`s not allowed to use them?
I think that this feature would be nice for those who plan to be a saddam hussein in the game,right?
:)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Actually, the World Market react specifically to you having WMDs. They will get upset when you complete research of them and they will react when you use them. Research is not secret in the game. That unfortunatly was cut early on.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Military Sanctions - Raise the price that another Region would have to pay for Military Goods or Units
Military Embargo - Prevents another Region from purchasing Military Goods or Units
Military Aid - WM provides your Region with extra Units (manned so they won't eat into your reserves)
Economic Sanctions - WM raises the selling price of all commodities to chosen Region
Trade Embargo - WM boycotts the selling of all commodities to chosen Region
Trade Penalties - WM raises the selling price of non essential commodities to chosen Region
Humanitarian Aid - WM provides essential commodities to chosen Region
Economic Aid - WM provides economic relief to the chosen Region
Censure - WM chastises chosen Region for its actions (possible first step towards harsher actions)

I no the Military Intervention etc is no longer in but can you still vote for all these that are left?
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Saying that can we still vote for anything from the WM?
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”