Dumb question, just what is the WM Subsidy?

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Tonto
Sergeant

Dumb question, just what is the WM Subsidy?

Post by Tonto »

Never explained in the tutorial or the readme, so what is it and how does it help/effect you? I assume it helps, as in my game NW USA Washington I did something to tick everyone off and my subsidy rating went from 20% to 8% in a day (or a few.. was a while before I checked) so I assume it's meant to help you and it's taken away when you tick the WM off :o

BTW what can you do while building factories, upgraded one mil base and improved all my social spending to make the WM and every state angry at you? No attacking, making large amounts of mil units etc.

Thanks
T.
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

dont knwo your second question.

For your first i think that number describes HOW MUCH offers you get from the WM and how much free stuff.
I have seen it climbed slower then my diplo rating towards the WM, the diplo was 95% the second creeped up from 20 to 47% and i only got a few offers, so thats why i cam tot hsi conclusion.

For the WM to hate you, you have to act like a bully and having a large buildcap. You can see hwo big you buildcap is and compare it to others when you cycle through the different screens when you watch the diplomatic overview. If you lower your buildcap the WM will not watch YOU as the bully anymore.
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

You've to pay for your WM membership
The better the standings are with these guy's the less you pay..

Cheers
Tonto
Sergeant

Post by Tonto »

Cool thanks guys.

For the WM, does building factories and getting a larger economy score also could as this buildcap... or just military stuff (unit creation capacity, reserves, unit etc)? I just did another game with NO creation of units, base upgrades or increase in reserves... and still my rating dropped and everyone got their bella to me increased.

If building anything gets other states to attack you, I might as well forget about the while economy thing and just go military. I was going to do the economy first and then mil, but looks like if I go that route I'll be attacked before I get my army up and running. Some choice.

T.
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

no the prob is purely military

also you need to get some relations going. doing some exchanges of tech can help, gettign diplomatic relations help. and doing a bunhc of one sided offers does wonders! This is somethign of an exploit, just give away a numerous amount of times a small bundle of money (lowest amount you can get, use tab and the scroll button on your mouse while hovering over the lump sum bar), check the box at the opposite side saying you want nothing in return. You will see this will be accepted and then you can do diplomatic exchanges and tech, these will be much less expensive ( i get away paying less then the tech is worth, also using mil goods is a favorite for the AI).

You wills ee your diplo relatiosn skyrocket
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

I coudl be wrong, but it seems to me that the higher your subsidy rating the better the deals from the wolrd market will be.

If you notice, early on in a game with a high subsiy you will get lots of stuff fro free or below cost.

BUT as your subsiy rating falls- the offers get more expensive-IE NO more free offers and the WM will actually try and make a profit on you in its offers.

Keeping the subsidy high is hard for me.BUT i think you can by keeping your military small (or hidden) and by keeping your DAR (and related factors like Cultural) high.

Also successful Diplomacy seems to keep the WM happy with you.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Tonto
Sergeant

Post by Tonto »

Yeah the problem is that my subsity rating dropped along with my relations to everyone else. That was with just building factories, nothing miltary at all. Might be a bug though as I also never got one offered deal from the WM, even at the start.

I'll do a fresh start but I'm quickly getting the feeling that it's a lot like Rome Total Wars diplomacy. Looks like a detailed and useful part of the game, only to have it empty and just a thing to turn war on and off :(

T.
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

the problem is your MILITARY build capacity is higher then your neighbours is!! (as explained above). The WM loves peaqcefull solutions and if everythign has failed war. IF you build up your economy it should not hurt your diplo relations! Remember we are ALL talking after update #2, get this, before this update it declined often whatever you did.

If you deactivate more bases and get a lower military buildcap then it should be allright.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

If you deactivate more bases and get a lower military buildcap then it should be allright.
The problem with that is that bases improve sullpy for industries so that it will hurt the economy.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

The price of equipment that is offered is modified based on the size of your treasury and the subsidy rating.

If you have no money and a high subsidy rating you'll get more stuff for free, including money and resources at times.
Tonto
Sergeant

Post by Tonto »

Thanks guys, and thanks Legend, now I know what it does.

As Washington I started with the biggest buildcap so I guess that's where the problem was. Considering how long it takes to repair units, I can't see ever going for a small army (by choice). You get into two wars back to back and you'll be toast. When I restarted I just went the military way, never had to declare war as one state after another declared war on me (due to my buildup)... even when they didn't have a chance to win. Even though they started the wars, I never a chance of a ceasefire let alone a peace (my treaty % was the highest also). As soon as I removed one, the new neighbour declared war. Game ended with me and two other states remaining. Not the most subtle diplomancy game.

T.

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”