Getting a Cease Fire/Peace

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Kriegsspieler
Captain

Getting a Cease Fire/Peace

Post by Kriegsspieler »

Ok, I've beaten the Quebecois to a bloody pulp, cleaned out Montreal and destroyed the Quebec navy. I'm at the doors of Quebec City and I want to turn my attention elsewhere. Quebec has almost nothing left to fight with, except its far too large navy (Need to be changed, BTW). Shouldn't they be ready for peace at any price??

I think that getting an a.i.-controlled country to stop fighting is a critical problem for an upcoming patch. They habitually fight LONG after any chance of victory is gone, and, while that may have worked for a police state such as Nazi Germany, even hopes for a francophone utopia wouldn't keep Quebec's army in the field forever! The a.i. must be taught to accept peace offers, perhaps with a bit of land concession (i.e. favorable border adjustment) or other concession thrown in. It shouldn't require epnding 10 gazillion dollars to bribe them into it.
Last edited by Kriegsspieler on Jun 09 2005, edited 1 time in total.
november
Lieutenant

Post by november »

This seems like it would be extremely challenging, and I’d rather see them fight the good fight than surrender too soon. Many times now I’ve conquered a country only to inherit an astonishing number of forces, forces that may have turned the tide against me if they had been used.
Kriegsspieler
Captain

Post by Kriegsspieler »

As far as I can tell, the unit surrender issue isn't directly connected with the proble of country surrender. Only one of the devs could say for sure, but it doesn't look to me like they are.

Hard it may be to fix the diplo option for peace, but I really do tihnk it worth doing.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I have managed to get Quebec to accept ceasefire with Ontario after heavily beating them. It does depend on the other diplomatic things which have already gone on. In my case they attacked me, I beat them, I got ceasefire. If you attacked them, they will hate you horribly based on their starting dislike for you and are unlikley to ever accept peace.

If you're sure you have a situtation where the AI should be accepting a ceasefire, send us a savegame with LOTS of details and we'll look at the case. This is what we need to do ourselves when we want some area of the AI touched up.

I'm still not convinced that the AIs should give in more than they do (since a human player would not) but we'll certainly look at savegames we are sent. Just no promises on how quickly...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Kriegsspieler
Captain

Post by Kriegsspieler »

Balthagor wrote:I have managed to get Quebec to accept ceasefire with Ontario after heavily beating them. It does depend on the other diplomatic things which have already gone on. In my case they attacked me, I beat them, I got ceasefire. If you attacked them, they will hate you horribly based on their starting dislike for you and are unlikley to ever accept peace.

If you're sure you have a situtation where the AI should be accepting a ceasefire, send us a savegame with LOTS of details and we'll look at the case. This is what we need to do ourselves when we want some area of the AI touched up.

I'm still not convinced that the AIs should give in more than they do (since a human player would not) but we'll certainly look at savegames we are sent. Just no promises on how quickly...
They attacked me, there was no previous relationshipo between us and the Quebecois.
When I have a moment I'll send you a file. Is RAR format ok?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Ya, RAR is fine thanks.

Remember to include as much details about what has gone on as possible and what offers you've made and what offers you think should/should not be accepted under those current circumstances.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Kriegsspieler
Captain

Post by Kriegsspieler »

Check. I'll do a little testing with various offers & then let you know.

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”