Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 23
FastBoy101
Captain

Post by FastBoy101 »

If I get a tech from a country, and sell it back / give it to another, will it cause trouble to diplo ratings?
Big stuff from K5
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Not unless its a WMD tech, than im not sure.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

not currenlty, we spent about 30 mins during out test game this past week discussing some changes to this...

Watch for changes in future updates.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tboy21
Major

Post by tboy21 »

hope that a bigger amount of money will make the relations greater and faster
FastBoy101
Captain

Post by FastBoy101 »

Balthagor wrote:not currenlty, we spent about 30 mins during out test game this past week discussing some changes to this...

Watch for changes in future updates.
Great :-)
Big stuff from K5
szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

Does it make a difference if I offer a daily payment for a country?
I mean what is better: offering X amount of money Y times OR sending only one offer containing X money for Y days?

I'm looking for a solution to avoid sending hundreds of offers.... :)
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

The offering system is bugged...
Better offer small amounts/day manually...

Cheers
ozmono2005
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ozmono2005 »

This was the first thing I actually experimented with after I got the hang of the game. I can't really remember the details

BUT

I DON'T think the offering system is bugged(at least not for the reason you mention) I think the AI has a certain amount of money it will be willing to give (in a lump sum without imposing heavy "prices" or demands on you) and if you exceed the amount of money they are willing to give then you'd be better of doing as bigstone said and asking/offering for dailiy/monthly fees

I think it is good. It prevents the AI spending to much (although doesn't have any need to as the AI can't handle its economy anyway) and also prevents someone "buying victory" so to speak like people were doing with the land trade before update 2
FastBoy101
Captain

Post by FastBoy101 »

It is just normal that relations are built gradually. You don't just come and give alot once, as it does not show you as a reliable, stable partner. It can even show some opportunism.

About buying victory, well it would be done in reality too. Political privileges bought with money and promises coming with money. Many nations chose to be under another but in a more stable and secure position.
Big stuff from K5
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

FastBoy101 wrote:About buying victory, well it would be done in reality too. Political privileges bought with money and promises coming with money. Many nations chose to be under another but in a more stable and secure position.
I agree because a country like the USA mainly expanded its territory, not by war, but by buying land from the french and mexicans. The only problem was the local widelife (indians, wolves, bears, bizons, etc) which had to be controled (exterminated)
Gunner
Corporal

Post by Gunner »

I think I'm kinda hopeless with dipolomacy. I've done what you said and have gotten several countries to the "pleased" rating with me. Even then they will never accept any agreement I offer.

I've mainly been offering embassies and other small stuff, usually packaging it with some money or techs.
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

Go to the extremes. Meaning max your diplo ratings out.

And then be sure to offer a mutual! (both sides the same) agreement.

Thus not ONLY asking for an embassy but offering one also.
And embassies are actually the tougher oens to get. Try it with a mutual alliance offer... and offer 1 billion along side. Should work.
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Cashless alternatives

Post by Il Duce »

I never send cash.

There are a few things that work for me.

1. Try to understand why your counterpart is resistant, and offer them the thing they want - for instance, they may not want to exchange an embassy right away, but they are interested in free flow of labor. Once you can get them signed up for that [or extradition or free trade], then the rest of the items will follow. If you have free labor flow, criminal extradition is a natural, as is an embassy [for those indigents who get stuck there].

2. Instead of cash, look at what the counterpart has - or needs. Send surplus goods that they can't afford to buy. This is pretty easy.

3. Diplomacy is a process - as discussed above, it takes stroke after stroke to build a little trust, regardless of the size of the stroke: send some armaments that you don't need. I seem to recall another thread where someone noticed a very positive effect for persistently sending one obsolete arty piece after another to achieve a positive diplo effect. It doesn't doesn't matter what you send, it matters THAT you send. If you are a landlocked region, check to see if your arsenal includes some anti-ship missiles. These are valueless to you [at the moment], but possibly highly valuable to someone else - send 'em [and note that you are also reducing your maintenance budget at the same time]. I suppose you really shouldn't send an obsolete submarine to a landlocked region....

4. Look at the trade environment. If you are selling the same goods as the region you wish to have a treaty with, try being less competitive in one or more areas. If your volume or price is blocking their exports, back off for the duration of your diplomatic exchanges. Seems to me that cornering or being a strong player in a given commodity is a definite way to alienate. While it isn't clear to me how belli points are generated overall, it seems clear that dominating a market definitely gets you disliked.

5. Another thing that seems to work here is to track the WM offerings - volume and price - and subsidize the WM if you can when appropriate. For instance, WM typically offers 7.5M petro at a given rate. Occasionally, you will see this volume dip and/or see the price go up for several weeks. This is a really good time to slough some surplus at bargain rates. Regions that depend on the WM for Petro [or whatever commodity] will appreciate your cooperation. This happens with all commodities [Water is another good one for this -either you've got it, and have a huge surplus, or you don't, and you can't handle a big market fluctuation]. Dunno what effect this has on your WM rating, but it seems to be a a way to get a broadcast decrease on belli points.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Smeghead
Sergeant

Diplomatic, Belli and WM ratings

Post by Smeghead »

I'm playing portugal in the France senario.

My WM rating is bottomed out with sanctions now being applied. My e-mail tells me to end my long war.

I've managed to get a neutral's DR up to Pleased and the BR down to 46% from 100%. But the PR is still outraged.

I've got an enemy DR up to indiferent but the BR is still 100%

Questions
How do I improve Pop Rating.
At what level does BR need to be before alliances will be formed

How do I get the WM rating up. Is there a quick way because with the sanctions I'm soon going to be unable to offer money for my other dip negotiations.

I'm closing bases to get my unit build ratio closer to other countries
currently about 36 against 20.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Diplomatic, Belli and WM ratings

Post by Balthagor »

Q: How do I improve Pop Rating.
A: Currently it is very difficult to see any positive changes in Civilian opinion. There is some ongoing discussion about how much this should be affected. The common example is that no matter what the US does to help Iraq, there are still plenty of Iraqis who chose not to like them and it will take generations for some of this hatred to go away.

Q: At what level does BR need to be before alliances will be formed
A: Usually if you have about 60-70% you'll get away with it however it also depends on other things such as their WM rating, your WM rating and other stuff.

Q: How do I get the WM rating up. Is there a quick way because with the sanctions I'm soon going to be unable to offer money for my other dip negotiations.
A: There is no quick way, the ways to increase WM opinion have been discussed elsewhere but can be summed up as run a happy and peaceful country.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”