74%
No
26%

Total votes: 23
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Happy and peaceful....

Post by Il Duce »

It also appears that the WM would prefer that you not thrash the markets around too much. When i am in doubt about how to achieve an effect, i find that limiting slider motions to about 5% per day is a good rule of thumb. That is, it should take 16 days or more to implement an 80% change in a slider value - especially in quantities of surpluses sold.

I note that some ministers, when they are 'aggressive,' also follow this kind of incrementalism. And this is consistent with the many small strokes item in this topic.

There is an oriental expression that is applicable -

"Running an empire is like cooking a small fish."
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Smeghead
Sergeant

Ministers "help"

Post by Smeghead »

In converting enemy to neutral and neutral to ally, when you issue the Minister with those priorities, do they actualy do any thing? I'd expect the Miister to make the day in, day out freebie "here's money" dip offer. (By the way, each succesful negotiotion seems to reduce the BR by 1%)

Where as I don't see anything happening.
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Passive ministers

Post by Il Duce »

This has been discussed elsewhere in this forum and under "AI." forum, and wish list as well.
The Devs have been fairly clear that as yet the State minister isn't particularly assertive or active. You pretty much have to manage this aspect of the game manually.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

Smeghead.
reduce your build capacity for units, untill it is under the highest value for one of the active AI players.

Il Duce:

I dont know where you get all this 'tread lightly' stuff from. But i havent seen such effects in all the games I played this far.
3. Diplomacy is a process
True, but it doesnt matter what you send, al be it one arty unit. But the cheapest way is to send the LOWEST amount of cash you can set the slider to and do that. The AI still doesnt look at hwo much is given, only the fact something is given. (will change with an update)

Therefor remark 2 isnt quite correct.

1. Try to understand why your counterpart is resistant, and offer them the thing they want
I again havent seen a natural flow in this respect. i wont say diplomacy is not very smooth in this game. But not as smooth as you make of it
4. Look at the trade environment
Would be very nice for an update! I say suggest it to the devs good poitn! :D But you tend to view the diplo from a human side, not a coded AI side.

5. Another thing that seems to work here is to track the WM offerings

My believes are the WM doesnt look at this.

It looks at buildcap (very and most important factor). Cultural and maybe enviromental spending. But not if you get in its way in the trade sense. You can view the WM as to big to care.

These are all MY understandings of the game. I am not trying to get you angry. But I view at as such. And different views can coexist!
Smeghead
Sergeant

Post by Smeghead »

Thanks for all of your help.

Doin Sunday dinner now for kids so will post how I get on later!
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Thrashing

Post by Il Duce »

Overall, it never does much good to thrash in any numerical model - it usually has repercussions down the line as small factors have their long-term effects. In replaying specific situations, I have found [subjectively] that one big slider push rarely acheives a sustainable or stable situation, whereas a series of small ticks up achieves the same position but permits you to stay there. Give the rest of the model a chance to adapt to what you are doing, instead of reacting to what you are doing.

If you are ever in a position to corner a WM market, e.g. petro, and you jerk the volume or prices around severely, you will definitely piss the WM off. for instance, you can offer twice the petro that WM can, and do it for a lower price. From a numerical model perspective, you now have the model under control at a very fundamental level, and it seems that your restraint will be rewarded whereas your assertion will be disincented. As a side effect, watch how many WM offers go by to everyone but you. The WM is definitely trying to level the playing field if you tilt it too much.

Jerk petro around and suddenly you will find that you are not doing well with any of the other regions - even if you are bringing the WM price down. The point is that you have also blocked everyone else from selling petro. Just numbers. Ain't personal.

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”