What affects reunification?

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

swang30
Sergeant

What affects reunification?

Post by swang30 »

Ok, playing various people in the American's campaign.

Try #1:
New York City, wins New York easily (how can you not?) But NJ in the NE scenario totally out-polls me, so I attack, which ends up dominoeing so that I take the entire NE, the net effect is that I lose the NA scenario because I don't have enough troops.

Try #2, Start as Eastern Penn, the west attacks me, and I easily beat them. the NJ scenario I also won, but in the NE scenario, NY AND Mich out-polls me by so much that I have to attack with the same disastrous NA scenario results as detailed in #1.

Both times in the NE scenario, I have the highest DAR, and increasing, the lowest taxes, and the best income. What else goes into reunification voting? My social spending is at the recommended level, for the last part of try #2, I even pushed it to 100%, which didn't stop the downward spiral of people voting for me. I was set at peace most of the time, and inflation was OK at 7%, a little high, but not the highest by any means.

-Jeff
-Jeff
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Re: What affects reunification?

Post by tkobo »

swang30 wrote: Both times in the NE scenario, I have the highest DAR, and increasing, the lowest taxes, and the best income. What else goes into reunification voting? -Jeff
Total population counts also.

I have won votes with the lowest DAR, highest taxes,and lowest income.
I had roughly a little over twice the population of the highest population AI region.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Xetal
Lieutenant

Post by Xetal »

I was wondering this too. It seems like my % Unification Vote ALWAYS falls, no matter what I do.

I've had games where I build up the military reasonably but not massively and economy in such a way that Inflation is controlled, GDP is rising, social spending is wonderfully high, taxes aren't low, and unemployment is ~5%.

My country is such that lots of people are immigrating, I'm making a mint, which I funnel back into Social spending, etc, and my domestic approval rating is 15% higher than the next closest person.

And yet, I am steadily losing unification votes.

Can someone explain if there is a 'magic way' to get unification votes?
BtI
Corporal

Post by BtI »

It's really strange. I've had cases where I actually go backward in the polls as soon as I manage to achieve a situation like that. I'll grant that this is in the US NW scenario, but surely the game engine isn't so complex that it models the inability of a yokel to tick the right box.

In this scenario, incidentally, the one with the highest population always does really badly. So the argument about population being all important doesn't really seem true there either.
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

you mean a population vote?

do like i did in my nordic states scenario

I kept sending 1 to 2 million in aidto every country asking nothing in return (check the little box all the way to the left) and after doing that a thousand times i won, i kept getting more votes with every round of money i send out.

Bit like real life, buying your election. Maybe thatswhy i had sto start as the US after winning this one... :D
Xetal
Lieutenant

Post by Xetal »

My last one I played as Mass. in the New England campaign.

I had my aproval up to 43% (the next closest person was in the high 20's), my social spending was high and my tax was reasonably low, inflation was about 3%, unemployment at about 6%. So my economy was stable and I had the nessisary money to put social spending to roughly 125% of recommended.

I achieved this fairly easily selling technology and expanding my agri, water, and timber industries as well as building 3 nuclear reactors right off the bat (and shutting down all my coal and petrol plants as soon as the nuclear ones got done).

I was also building more military, and I am a HUGE fan of emplacements with garrisons and nice cheap 155mm arty's, so that means lots jobs created through my military. I also created an extra 8 units of patriot long-range anti-air systems, a fair amount of light infantry, and 6 squadrens of F-16c Fighter/Bombers (with plenty of ordanence avalable if things got rough).

Everything was going fine for me, my neighbors were struggling with their economies and their populace.

My unification vote had slipped from the ~2% advantage you start with to being 3.5% behind the leader... and I can't figure out why.

Luckily Rhode Island and Conneticut decided that it would be a good idea to invade me, and both instantly lost their WM rating as well as most of their votes (and my ranking boosted up so the next closest person was 8% below me)... but if they hadn't declared war on me (I conquored them btw... they didn't have much of anything that could shoot down my F-16's), then I don't think I would have won even though I have OVER 50% OF THE POPULATION in that senario.

If anyone has a hint or two for me, please do share! :p
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

Did you research any tech during that period? Some techs are flagged as unfavorable(domestic and WM ratings, and they are listed in the tech popup window) and could possibly lower your rating. Tech such as WMD, Cloning, etc.
Alexender00
Sergeant

Here's how I did it

Post by Alexender00 »

I played Canada with Quebec (second largest pop) and won the unification vote with 32,8% of the vote (aimed for 33% but failed). Here's what I did. Hope it helps you guys.

First of all I must say that you guys had way better econ than I. So first thing I did (as I always do in every mission) was to trade tech but giving a sligt advantage to the other regions (about 5~10% mark down) (Both ensury an agreement and improving relations). Then I offred Alliance to everybody which they accepted (even Prairies who's an aggresive AI (always end up attacking Ontario)). Then I worked on my economy. My goal there was to become self-sufficient everywhere I could. (ended up with only importing petroleum and Uranium) My taxes at about 50~70% and my social spendings about 50-75% of the recommanded. Almost no research (10~25%) (no money and too little to really make a dent). Didn't built a single military troop (execpt in reserve) and was soon outclassed by Maritimes (the weakest!) but to no matters since I knew that with an alliance and a weak military state they wouldn't attack me as I'm not a threat but in the off case I had to defend myself, I had quite a few units in reserve (way enough for Canada which is not a military state like the USA) so I asked my ministers to improve supply and defences. The key of all this is to bring up the GDP/c while keeping your debt low (ended up paying about half of it by the end). My rating where only about 5 points higher than most with about 30% DAR.

In short: Ally yourself, don't go military unless needed, DEFCON 5, No conscript. GDP/c UP, Money on hand not to high as debt goes DOWN. If your DAR goes UP with all those rules applied, so should your Unification votes! Good luck!.
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

Xetal and others, did anyone read my post??

maybe there ARE more ways, but i started with 1.5% of the voters on my hand and got it up to 20% by giving away slow piles of money.

In my opinion this is because you are constantly doing diplomatic exchanges instead of nothing or negative things like fighting or starting wars!!

THERE is your answer, keep giving away slow piles of money, just the smallest amount you can set (sometimes it was 1.9m, sometimes 2.8m with me). keep doing that, the countries will love you. the people will not weirdly enough. But i got 120 million people behind me, while i started with 6 million.

And they aahted me because i broke treaties in the scenario before this one. Because the last AIs didnt want to break up their treaties with me!
Xetal
Lieutenant

Post by Xetal »

Decimatus:

I only researched or traded to obtain techs that were 'indifferent' or 'favorable'

One thing that I did think of is that I do keep my DEFCON at 3 most of the time because I can usually spare the cash (My strong point is definetly empire/economy building). Would that piss people off?

haenkie:

No offense, but I'd rather not open up my diplomacy window and send tiny amounts of money hundreds of times because the AI is responsive to it... I'm pretty sure that if I don't be a warmongering jerk I can win the vote... but I'm also pretty sure that I must be doing one or more 'no-no' things that piss people off that I'm not aware of.

-I never research unfavorable tech or trade for them.
-I never build NBC weapons.
-I never declare war, sanction countries, or demand tribute.
-I always have a high domestic aproval rating.
-I always have good diplomatic ratings with others.
-My military is usually 20% (or more) larger than the next closest person.
-Some units are stored at emplacements guarding the border, others are stored entrenched in groups ready for action, and some are stored as reserves at my bases.
-My social spending is always above the 'recommended' point, all of the individual catagories are kept over 90% effectiveness.
-My research fluxuates based on how I'm trying to adjust inflation.
-My unemployment is never a problem.
-My tax rate usually is 65%-75%
-I am usually at DEFCON 3 when not at war

I can't think of anything else, but someone tell me if any of those are what is causing my unification vote to fall out of the sky like a rock.

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”