Diplomacy issues in update 2

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

mathiasbuus
Sergeant

Diplomacy issues in update 2

Post by mathiasbuus »

First of all let me say, update 2 is GREAT :D Really improved this game a lot!
But i'm a bit confused though...
In my most recently played campaign as Nanjing I discovered that if I sent a lump sum of money ca. 300 mio to one of my neighbors, It would lower his casus belli towards me with ca. 1 %. Now if I did this 30 times in a row it would lower the casus belli with 30 %. So then I thought: Instead of sending him a lump sum 30 times (VERY time consuming!) I'll just give him daily deal worth 300 mio a day for 30 days. But after 30 days his belli towards me had only lowered ca. 1 %!
Also it didn't matter whether or not I sent him 1.000 mio instead of 300 mio. His casus belli always seemed to lower about 1 % for every lump sum i gave him!!.
Confused? I know I am.. Could someone try and give me a reasonable explanation for this?
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

George be the best to answer this but I'll give it a go.

When you perform a diplomatic exchange (I.E. offer a gift) it has some effects. In this case it lowered causus belli a bit. It can be seen as a nice gesture or act of kindness... But setting up a daily gift is still one gift that you are paying many times.

Think of it when a parent gives their child money. If they give them some money once and it is enough to do something with then the child is happy. If you actually were to set up an allowance the child may be just as happy but they start to expect the allowance and no longer see it as a gift.
mathiasbuus
Sergeant

Post by mathiasbuus »

Well I understand that BUT how come then if I give the AI a lump sum of money once a day for 30 days it lowers the casus 30 times more then if I just gave them a daily deal of the same amount of money?
Gotthard
Warrant Officer

Post by Gotthard »

Becuase there is no code to notice patterns in diplomatic negotiations I"m assuming.

Is that a large issue?
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

Because one large lump sum is a one time item... but 30 day creates a relationship... and also proves that you won't attack them for 30 unless you break your treaty!
swang30
Sergeant

Post by swang30 »

I think the question is why a 30 day $1 million/day gift gives 1%, while 30 separate lump sum $1 million gives 30%. That seems to be the issue?
-Jeff
Glorius
Sergeant

Post by Glorius »

How is it possible to make peace with the computer? Actually I have conquered 95% of its regions...he has only about 20 hexes left, and I can't make a peace with him, even with bribe (the funny is that I am the briber;) )
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

what is his relation to you in the diplomacy section? If he really hates you he will fight to the death.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Glorius
Sergeant

Post by Glorius »

With germany is bad...but with others, who made war with me was quiet good...and it is not so bad now too. And don't understand, why did they make war with me, since we were friends, and nobody hurt the other.
mathiasbuus
Sergeant

Post by mathiasbuus »

swang30 wrote:I think the question is why a 30 day $1 million/day gift gives 1%, while 30 separate lump sum $1 million gives 30%. That seems to be the issue?
Yes! makes no sense what so ever
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We'll need to investigate this farther but I would agree that it sounds like we missed something in how it views repeating similar offers. We'll update when we have more news.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”