What is "unpredictable" diplomatic AI?

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Borodin
Lieutenant

What is "unpredictable" diplomatic AI?

Post by Borodin »

Just that. Does this mean the AI's hostility rating towards human players is randomly reset every turn? Randomly set at the beginning of a game? Does it "think" less? Is it apt to disregard diplomatic decisions made last turn, more than if it's set to normal?
Borodin
Lieutenant

Post by Borodin »

Any chance of a reply on this, from someone who knows...?

Better yet, don't answer this question. Answer the one at the top of my thread. :wink:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

The setting will set a random agenda to start the scenario and will make the AI react to it's agenda in a less predictable fashion. It may attack you when it has a small belli or wait even when it has a large belli against you.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Borodin
Lieutenant

Post by Borodin »

Balthagor wrote:The setting will set a random agenda to start the scenario and will make the AI react to it's agenda in a less predictable fashion. It may attack you when it has a small belli or wait even when it has a large belli against you.
Thanks for that.

If I may suggest, rather like some older SSG games, it might be useful to add to scenarios the ability to select from various AI types for all nations. Just for the hell of it, knowing that this "locks" a given scenario out of its individual storyboard. Want to try the Balkans with a Status Quo Albania and Serbia, see what you can achieve as Montenegro? Go for it! That kind of thing.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

For cases like that I figure ppl will learn to mod the maps and make custom versions.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Borodin
Lieutenant

Post by Borodin »

Balthagor wrote:For cases like that I figure ppl will learn to mod the maps and make custom versions.
Well, yes, we all can. It's easy enough.

Of course, it's easier still if the front end provides a simple method of access to change things like AI attittude towards the rest of the world. It makes the game that much more workable, without forcing people who have purchased it to change the contents of textfiles.

But again, that's your choice. I'm thinking for the moment from the perspective of the casual player who doesn't want to bother with making or loading mods--what will make the game experience more varied for them? Encourage them to praise it as a result to their friends? Sell more copies?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I see where your coming from but we're already swamped with work. Taking the time to make those adjustments pushes development of areas like Ops back further. This week I had intended to post all sorts of info on how to do mapediting but testing for updated #1 and keeping up on the forum has kept me too busy.

I'm not ruling it out, I'm just not going to start offering things we're unlikley to get to anytime soon. I made that mistake before and got trashed for it ;)

We'll say that for now, modding is your best option to play that way. :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Borodin
Lieutenant

Post by Borodin »

Balthagor wrote:I see where your coming from but we're already swamped with work. Taking the time to make those adjustments pushes development of areas like Ops back further. This week I had intended to post all sorts of info on how to do mapediting but testing for updated #1 and keeping up on the forum has kept me too busy.

I'm not ruling it out, I'm just not going to start offering things we're unlikley to get to anytime soon. I made that mistake before and got trashed for it ;)

We'll say that for now, modding is your best option to play that way. :)
Thanks--and I *do* sympathize. I know what it's like to have people expect unreasonable results, when you're resources are by nature limited and already stretched. Good luck with the game, and rest assured that I will continue annoying you, though very respectfully, with suggestions in the future. :wink:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

That's what I'm counting on :lol:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”