Responses to "Key Diplomacy Factors"

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

JaguarUSF
Lieutenant

Responses to "Key Diplomacy Factors"

Post by JaguarUSF »

Didn't want to mess with the sticky, so...

The key would be to relate this information in an effective manner to the player. I remember in EU2, there was a color-coded map which showed overall relations (from 0 (bad) to 100 (good)) between the selected country and all other countries. You could select countries other than your own to see relationships between AIs to access who you'd piss off if you attacked someone.

I think a solution would be two-fold:
1. An overall value of current relations, which would be a average of all three factors discussed in the article.
2. Feedback on the specific reason why the AI did not accept a proposal, such as "Marseille does not wish to attack you" or "Marseille's residents are supportive of your culture" or something better worded.

Comments?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I think that is a good idea. We also got surprised somewhat by how much these values being reported to the player are missed and as David mentioned, we will be looking at addressing this moving forward.

For the moment, I think what we hope players can help us with most, is evaluating some of the settings they do see and the experiences they get when playing. For example, if you go into a scenario and two regions you expected to hate each other have little to no belli or regions you think should be friendly won't respond, let us know and we'll review the values for that region.

For those looking to try and make heads or tails of the actual data, the original GMC files are stored in the \Scenarios folder. Just be sure not to mess up your original game files while they're open. Each player has a separate section where the values are stored.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tboy21
Major

Post by tboy21 »

one thing i dont understand is what each agenda means
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

When I get a chance to give full details on how to set up a .GMC file, each agenda will be discussed in more detail.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

Nice. :)
myros
Lieutenant

Post by myros »

For creating scenarios with more replayability Id love to see a 'random' option be possible for each of the game AI region settings. So that rather than everything being pre-set the game would randomly set each value at scenario setup.

M
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Actually you can set any player AI to random in the GMC file. 0 - Default is used as random.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
JaguarUSF
Lieutenant

Post by JaguarUSF »

In Update #2:
--> New GUI Element - State Department - Pick a region - In Panel 2, choose button named "Current Relations".
In this new third panel you will see the following:
- Diplomatic Rating,
- Civilian Rating,
- Causus Belli,
- Treaty Integrity Ratings and
- World Market Ratings
So, where's my $$ for my idea? Make checks payable to... :P
Viperace
Lieutenant

Post by Viperace »

I would also like to see the following:

The relations between AI regions with other AI regions. All we can see now is our relations with the AI, but that is not enough..

Lets consider the example :
We got 3 region A ,B , C (me). I wanted to know if A and B hate each other or not. If they did, I will just wait for them to go into war and I watch the fun. If they didn't, then I will ally with A and go attack B.

PS:Ignore me if this is already included in the game :lol:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

It has not, but I'm missing where the logic is in you knowing someone else's justification for war or civilan opinions of a third party.

I would more expect to find this sort of thing to be available in the Ops departement we are redesigning...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
isupreme
Captain

Post by isupreme »

It has not, but I'm missing where the logic is in you knowing someone else's justification for war or civilan opinions of a third party.

I would more expect to find this sort of thing to be available in the Ops departement we are redesigning...
Yes. I would very much think this a good use for this logic. In Ops it would rock if combined with subterfuge/secret relations vs overt ones.

Yes. I hope ths is in! I think it would greatly increase the depth of gameplay by opening up how the others relate as a factor in strategies.[/quote]
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I will be sure to bring this to David's attention as we works on it but I believe that is already something he has on his list (think that is where I got the idea from ;) )
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Chaim
Major

Post by Chaim »

And what about civ rate with the other states? how to raise?
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Influencing Civ Rates and Dip Rates with other regions will be part of the new "Ops". (Will not be part of Update 3, since we are still working out the design and formulas and stuff...)
- David
szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

Isn't it possible to create some kind of "quick fix" for improving the civ rating? Currently in the diplomacy this is the most disturbing thing for me - eg. when the civ rating goes down, I don't have any option to improve the relation anymore - the foreign diplomats can't do anything because the public forbids it.

I could imagine some new diplomatic treaties like "national advertisement", "free tourism" or "civilian aid" which could cost money but in return improve the civ rating.

Or even it would be good if a percentage of the money what we send for free to the foreign country would spent on the civ rating improvement instead of the diplo rating improvement. The percentage would depend on the government type - you know, in dictatorship, it wold be really small, but in democracy it would be much larger.
If the public can forbid the diplomatic actions, it could also "beat out" the free money from the diplomats :)

The impact of the money on the civ rating improvement could be calculated by comparing the amount of the money vs the number of the people and the gdp of the foreign country. I feel this could be even realistic: today, if I would give 10 dollar for every US citizen, it would have no effect - but give this money for refugee in a poor african country: he will treat you as god.

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”