How do you get the AI to accept treaties?

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

JaguarUSF
Lieutenant

How do you get the AI to accept treaties?

Post by JaguarUSF »

I assume there is some logical progression of ever-increasing importance of treaties leading eventually to an alliance. For example, some trade agreement, research agreement, line of sight, then alliance. Is this the way to do it, because I haven't done it well yet :)
fallen77
Warrant Officer

Post by fallen77 »

Me neither... and they wont accept me giving them all my stockpiles for free.
RCBricker
Captain

Post by RCBricker »

Same i can't give anything away to them and sure as hell can't get them to except anything. I just ignore them for now while i work the economy.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Wait for George to post more about Belli bar/diplomacy
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Bluesman
Lt. Colonel

Post by Bluesman »

Does the attitude setting modify the results alot? Eg. If you put a happier face, is the likeliness of a positive result larger?

BM
JaguarUSF
Lieutenant

What MORE do you want!

Post by JaguarUSF »

So, I (Paris) offered a ceasefire to a country (Marseille) I was about to annex/surrender. In this proposal, I offered all my techs (worth about 1 Billion?) and a bunch of military units. The AI did not accept it! Boy, they are dumb!
Ironbirgade
Sergeant

Post by Ironbirgade »

as south africa i have conqured almost all of the nambia federation...They have refused all treaties including strait peace, peace and my money, and peace and my units. it seems i either have to fully conqure them or halt my armies where i want the border to be.
Arimaril
Corporal

Post by Arimaril »

Just make good offers and the AI accept them, If you are the super power every region will want to have alli with you.

Edit: bah ok i was wrong ******* Madrid and Barcelona didn t accept treaties either >:>
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

That one can be explained by the fact that the relationships for the France map has almost everyone paranoid of everyone else. I've also updated some of the relationships (I think I did it in time for Update #1...?) on that map because I re-read the story and felt that Barcelona and Marseille should be friendlier. I think if you start as one of those you can get the other to deal with you.

Most of the AIs are very suspicious of each other.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Phoenix_ryan
Lieutenant

Post by Phoenix_ryan »

i dont think that the AI-player and AI-AI interactions are very good at all.
I played as portugal on the france map. I am the underdog so i keep my head down and try and sign alliances/antiaggression/mutual defence and as everyone knows ths doesnt work so i carry on but then none of the AI's were aggressive to one another event hough apparently according to the scenario Paris and Marseille should be knocking 10 shades of **** out of each other

In the end it was a stale mate no one attacked no one did anything, as portugal i couldnt attack as i wasnt strong enough and couldnt afford everyone to go to war with me and so it was the most boring game i have ever played in my life. If the AI are not going to take part in diplomacy with me or the other AI then starting as an underdog is an impossibility.

You have to depend on others being attacked from other sides and then be able to sneak in when the time is right. You have also got to be able to form alliances with strong neighbours as you would in Real Life

I have heard many dev's explaining this as the AI distrusting one another and the player but lets face it if every country just hides in their shell and distrusts everyone else i thikn watching paint dry would be more fun than playing the game. The AI needs to be loosened up so they are more willing to create pacts, and attack other nations unproked to make the game more unpredictable

BG dev's please please please consider reworking the AI it just isnt working well and is letting the game down massivly
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Oh, not to worry on this. The diplomatic AI and the relations of regions in each map will continue to be under extreme scrutine for a long time. What you may have come across is that perhaps the "love/hate" settings for that players in that scenario are not balanced aggressive enough, particularly Paris vs. Marseille.

Actually, there are other things that occur to me here but first I want to make a separate post about how some of the values relate. I'll come back to this after.

I expect this to be one of our biggets areas of feedback. With so many scenarios and so many regions, getting their relatios to each as realistic as possible is a massive undertaking.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

The AI Diplomacy plays the way George plays the game diplomatically since he programmed it. (and that would be "Suspiciously") This is easily tweaked in any given scenario if you think the relationship in a scenario is wrong, and we'll also be looking at the overall levels.
- David
Arimaril
Corporal

Post by Arimaril »

I played Washington in the demo without any aggressions after ~1 year Oregon declared war and a bit later Idaho, when i reached the Boarders of Montana they declared war too and same happens with Nevada. I mean, i don t have much military but everyone declares me war, why?
And peace don t work even if i offer them more land as they lost and we had no direct fight.
imnotthatwierd
Captain

Post by imnotthatwierd »

as i seem to remember, when i played as colorado on that map, i started with a belli bar a third full towards washington...so if you played another region on the map and see if it happens to you again
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

ya, everyone hates washington in that scenario.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”