Cooridinated attacks

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

aegisx
Colonel

Cooridinated attacks

Post by aegisx »

Say your allied with an AI player... is there anyway to carry out a coordinated attack? Also, can you give units to your AI ally that they would control (and get back later)?
red
General

Post by red »

There is no loaning of units. The closest thing to coordinating attacks with the AI is a treaty "Declare war on X" which was visible though not implemented in the last beta.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

The Declare war on "X" treaty won't make it in for gold. We'll try for the second patch for that one.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hawk
Corporal

Post by Hawk »

Hi,

hm, I would consider coordinated attacks an import feature in a complete diplomacy model (as well as in the 'real' world), altough I haven't seen a game which implements this in sufficient way so far.

My proposal: A new diplomacy option that allows to transfer some of your units to an allied player for a certain time (with the option of extension) or until the war is over.
Or a simpler solution: If allies are at war with an enemy the 'strongest' player
can request units from the other allies.
Perhaps such or a similar feature could make it in a patch?

Best regards & looking forward to your game! :)
Protra3211
Warrant Officer

Post by Protra3211 »

What about military pacts ? Is there a option in diplomacy for this? Which means whoever attacks you or them - both have to help each other. Its in almost ever civilization game I have played. Very basic option but like most games this is very hard treaty to get with the AI
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We have it as a "mutual defense" treaty. However, it does not force you to declare war when your partner is attacked. You get an e-mail and have to decide. Not attacking the aggressor will affect your approval levels both externally and internally, but you also need justification to attack.

Diplomacy has added a new element we refer to as the "belli bar". This is a graphical representation beside each region's name of your country's justification to go to war with them. If you have a high justification decalring war could gain you 2-3% on your domestic approval but you would see small decrease in World Market approval and subsidy. If on the other hand you have a very small or no justification for the attack, you could see a 40-50% approval hit and find your WM approval fall to 0% and get expelled from the world market. Paying attention to the belli bar is certainly an important factor
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Protra3211
Warrant Officer

Post by Protra3211 »

Thank you . I like the treaty Mutual Defense and that fact that there is a option to go to war or not . But you have to regard the other factors as well . Most game dont have this in diplomacy. Well done. Im going to love this game. I better brush up on my foreign affairs news dont want get caught with my pants down as it seems like a AI with diplomatic smarts.
Thank you again.
pandora6969
Warrant Officer

Post by pandora6969 »

How Smart is the AI when it comes to mutual defense Treaties?
If they wont help you, when your attacked by an agressor is this more or less often?
And if they decide to help you will they send in units to help you defend your territory, or do they simply just wait to get attacked by the aggressor?
I noticed in alot of other games when your allied player AI decided to help you defend your nation they said yes they will help but they never ever send units to the fight and basically they just wait for the Aggressor to come to their borders to defend.

Anyone have any info on how well the AI will respond if it does Decalre it will honor its mutual defense traty with your nation?

--william--
Strategy Gamer
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

It is actually hard to get the AI to agree to Mutual Defense (they are very suspicious by nature :-) ), however once they have it then, all things considered, they will be likely to honour it. However, things that will be taken in to account:

- How much they still like you (may have gone down since the treaty was signed).

- How much their civilian population like you.

- How much they, and their population, hate the attacker.

- What their 'belli bar' level (war justification) against the attacker is.

So, there are a lot of factors the AI will consider in that decision.

-- George.
red
General

Post by red »

Is there no difference in the negative effects suffered for not meeting the belli bar when fulfilling a defensive treaty versus an aggressive war?
imsofat
Sergeant

Post by imsofat »

is it possible to attack an enemy from the country of an alli? like america attacks irak from turkey...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

yes, this can be done.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
pandora6969
Warrant Officer

Post by pandora6969 »

Very very cool, so I take it then you will use your Allies supplies then?
And in doing so are you charged for them by your ally or is this a gratitude from them?
Strategy Gamer
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Actually, when resupplied in allied territory the supplies come directly from your stocks unless you are completely out. In that case, your ally does supply you, for free, assuming it was a minor clerical error at the root of the problem ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

Can you land at allied air bases? such as the US does alot ie from Saudi Arabia and Turkey

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”