SR (almost) always crashes in overlay screens (bluescreen)

Find support, discuss issues, report in game bugs found here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

livelock
Sergeant

SR (almost) always crashes in overlay screens (bluescreen)

Post by livelock »

When being in the complex overlay, the detailed industry views, or in the missile view (M) or (seldom) the research view.
SR crashes after around 10-15 seconds. The game appears to be running a bit further while the mouse pointer freezers, then I get a bluescreen and a STOP error.
Do you need a savegame or something?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

A savegame would not do us any good, we aren't developing for SR2010 any more and have no way of looking into one. Also, in the 2.5 years since release no one has reported such a problem. If it was the game and as wide spread as your describing it would have been found by now. What version are you running? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Is is only happening with one savegame or all your games?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
livelock
Sergeant

Post by livelock »

Well, it did not happen earlier, but this is the most big game I played ever. I am playering Europe and their are thousands of units on eht map. I thought it might be related to that. I see many of them due to satellites.

Also: I discovered the sidebar (above the email communication box) by accident and have it displayed always. Because it displays valuable information. Do you use that?

Tkobo, would you like to do an economic check on my savegame? I am making surplus, I am producing and I am able to increase research steadily. Would be great to have some specific hints from a veteran.
(oops, I thought tkobo answered - tkobo if ou read this ;-) )
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

But have you resolved the crash? You still didn't answer some of those questions; have you tried and uninstall/reinstall? what version are you running?

if the crash is no longer an issue I'll move the thread and you can rename it.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
livelock
Sergeant

Post by livelock »

Chris,
I downloaded a fresh copy, I did uninstall&reinstall, I updated my graphics driver and my chipset drivers. Now the stop error in the bluescreen changed and names the graphics driver igxprd32 explicitly when starting the save game. I run the game on 1400x900...
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Is that a intel integrated video card ?
I seem to half remember seeing something about that on a tech support forum.Something about the driver being screwy.

Found something.i suggest you read thru the two threads from the WoW tech support forum.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 1&pageNo=8

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 6478&sid=1

On the economy, sounds like your doing fine.Doing any diplo trades for extra cash ?Thats usually a good spot to make some extra cash.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
livelock
Sergeant

Post by livelock »

The card is an integrated card, right. The driver that you referenced in the post I already installed :-(

I now did some more tests and reduced resolution to 1280x1024. I thought the problem was gone when moving all the scrollbars in the overlays. But in the "Timber" screen it happened then... again, first irresponsive buttons (not possible to close overlay), then frozen and then crash.

@tkobo: No, what do I trade for money? Goods? Military? Research? At way higher prices than in the screen?
I discovered that it is *way* easier to get technology trades when trading with petrol and some additional $. That way I always win the negotiation with an offered value which is below the proposed value.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Read thru the Wow thread and find the solution for the intel chipset you have.
There are apparently a few different intel chipsets that have an issue using these drivers, and of course to further complicate things the O.S. (xp, vista) involved also affects which solution will help you.

In some cases, the solution was to remove the newer driver and instead use an older one.

The same chipsets and drivers are having issues in second life,gothic 3 and a few other games.
The problem firmly appears to be on the drivers side.

------------------

As for the diplo trades,consumer goods is usually a good one to do this with.
Pick a region you not at war with, the better their diplo stance towards you, the higher you can ask for and get price wise in exchange.

For instance, if they are not at war with you, but the diplo bar is very low towards you, offer the good for 2x your cost.
This will get you 100% profit on your goods.
If the diplo bar is in the middle, ask 3 to 5 times the cost of your goods in exchange.
If the dilpo bar is near full or full, ask 8 to 10 times your cost for the goods.

If they turn you down on an offer lower the amount asked in exhange by 1x.
So if you asked for 4x the cost, and they said no, ask again at 3x.

You can make alot of spare cash this way.
Chuckle TM
livelock
Sergeant

Post by livelock »

I even reduced resolution to 1024x786, this still crashes in some of the industry screens. the missile screen seems to work in that mode :-( sigh - no chance to optimize the industry quickly anymore

@tkobo: this sounds like cheating to me, that would not work in a real market - why would the AI be so dumb and by at 4x-10x the price? I would never do that unless I was preparing for war maybe or be in a shortage.

Another thing: paying back your debt is worth a lot! I am down from paying 250M of interest to 30M :-)
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

livelock wrote:
@tkobo: this sounds like cheating to me, that would not work in a real market - why would the AI be so dumb and by at 4x-10x the price?
Really ? Have any idea what a box of cereal costs to make,how about a cd, a suit,cook ware, that soda from the fast food joint, etc..
Now look at what you pay for them.

For an international example, in circa 2002 to 2003 it cost the Saudi's about 3 dollars to produce a barrel of oil.Oil they sold than for circa $20 to $28 dollars a barrel.
Thats a range of circa 400+ to 800+ percent markup.
I dont know the current costs and mark-ups for oil, but id bet a body part the markups are even higher percentages now.

*Found the current production cost for oil in Saudi (and Iran), its circa $1.50 a barrel.
Production cost in the US for a barrel is circa $15.
Russia,circa $8 to $10 a barrel.

Current cost for oil is $90+ a barrel.

Look at clothing and electronics made in third world (and "emerging") nations and sold in the US.You'll see the same kind of markups.

Why do you think regions like China and India are becoming so darn cash flush all of a sudden ?
Or how oil nations are ?

Real world markups are amazing.And the lower the price point, the more likely the higher the markup.

-------------

Any luck on the driver issue ?
Chuckle TM
livelock
Sergeant

Post by livelock »

Driver Issue: FIXED, I had to search and try many drivers - but it *seems* to be gone now: For anyone who is concerned and searches the forums in the future:
File: win2k_xp142550.zip
Version: 6.14.0010.4764
Date: 13.01.2007
Graphics: Intel GMA 950
Chipset: Intel Mobile 945GM
Thanks tkobo and balthasar.

Tkobo, I meant this differently. From the real world perspective you are absolutely right. As SR should mimic the world economics as good as possible, yeah, you are right.

1. I usually play mid to high GDP countries, hence my cost are higher (than yours maybe?)

2. I meant it like this:
- Consider your world market in SR, there are certain prices at which the markets is buying or not.
- Now, how can it be fair (for the AI) if the AI accepts a price that is a) way beyond the world market price (the price above no one is buying) and b) such high, that the country cannot sell it with markup but in fact would massively subsidize.

>> Tkobo, I'll continue to write a question in the SR20 section or the general forum, I want to share a few ideas on what I think would really make playing SR more efficient (like better control of missile attacks) - maybe you can comment on that.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Yea, i agree with your number 2 point.Its a very good one.

The world market didnt act like a business or global market, but more like an international charity,which was kind of weird considering how much resources they had control access to AND that they were supposed to represent other regions not on the map.

But to me ,thats a problem with how the WM was worked, and not how diplo trades worked.

I mean how often does a chartity org set global base price of a resource or goods ? :P :oops:
Chuckle TM

Return to “SR2010 Support”