Polish: text missing in tech descriptions

Find support, discuss issues, report in game bugs found here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

borg1980
Sergeant

Polish: text missing in tech descriptions

Post by borg1980 »

I found text missing in 80% of tech descriptions in Polish version:

example from LocalizeDefaultTechtree.csv (Liquid metal):

Code: Select all

Specific Tech Tree Advances,,
,Translated Title,Translated Description
(...)
301,Ciekły metal,Nowe technologie umożliwiające produkcję metali, które mogą swobodnie zmieniać stan skupienia ze stałego na ciekły, umożliwiając rewolucyjny przełom w konstrukcji pancerzy i innych elementów.
In game I has only small fragment of description:

Code: Select all

Ciekły metal,Nowe technologie umożliwiające produkcję metali
So I deleted some commas (points) from this file (where needed) and now all texts are visible. Problem is that comma is used in localization file as a separator (comma is very common in Polish language) - it would be great if another character will be used as a seperator in SR2020.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Actully I think the problem is that the text is not inside "double quotes". If it was, the commas would not be a problem. Commas are used very often to separate data in a file, this will be the same for SR2020. We'll need to make sure that the company that translates it follows our instructions to avoid these problems.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
borg1980
Sergeant

Post by borg1980 »

Balthagor wrote:Actully I think the problem is that the text is not inside "double quotes". If it was, the commas would not be a problem. Commas are used very often to separate data in a file, this will be the same for SR2020. We'll need to make sure that the company that translates it follows our instructions to avoid these problems.
You are right - adding double quotes repairs everything. Thanks for a tip :-).
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

The reason it does this is because the commas when not surrounded by quotes are seen as variable markers... and when inside quotes are seen as commas.

bear, tree, road - three different values for variables... the commas become end points to what is contained in the variable.

"bear, tree, road" becomes one complete value and therefore shows the entire line of text.

Perhaps error checking text in Polish is difficult. If we read a paragraph in English we know when it stops halfway and is missing text but when checking Polish, or another language, it can look like it is displaying properly because we are not reading the text. We are looking to see if it looks right. These problems only occur when there are commas in sentences AND when they are not surrounded by quotes. So in many cases, if we look at a few examples and they look good... we might feel that it works completely. Perhaps we'll have to keep looking for the presence of a comma inside a description area to make sure it's reading properly.

Of course the issue also comes down to who is performing the final error checking. If it's not BattleGoat, then we'll have to mention the way this error can happen so the translation company can pay attention to this detail as well.

I'm glad to see you fixed the issue.
Premislaus
Corporal

Post by Premislaus »

This is unofficial patch to the polish version of Supreme Ruler 2010 (v1.0).

Changes for 1.0:
- Fixed technologies descriptions; now you can see full description;
- Fixed problem with Africa's scenario description

http://forum.eufi.org/showthread.php?t=22412
I'm sorry for my english. I'm just student....

Return to “SR2010 Support”