Linux and Wine

Find support, discuss issues, report in game bugs found here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

onerobot
Warrant Officer

Linux and Wine

Post by onerobot »

I hope this is a decent section for this...

I started using Linux lately, and am liking it except for one huge issue: I can't play Supreme Ruler! I would dual boot, but unfortunately my laptop doesn't really have a large enough hard drive for such a thing, so I'm stuck trying to get it working under Wine.

If anyones had any success with this I would be immensely grateful to be let in on whatever arcane rituals it takes! I remember seeing a comment some months ago that someone had gotten it working, but I can't seem find it anywhere.

If anyone's interested, I created a page in the Wine app database:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=4707

Feel free to add to it if possible.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Well, there is a post ont he board (somewhere) about someone playing SR2010 in linux, so it does work.

I dont know which version of linux they were using and since the search option is currently not working correctly i cant find the post.
BUT if you search manually you might find it.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I did try searching for it but couldn't find it. If anyone does find it, please repost the link.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

http://www.battlegoat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6523

Thats one, but its not the one i remember, so theres at least one more probably.

Ill look for it later.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
onerobot
Warrant Officer

Post by onerobot »

Thanks! I'll give Cedega a try.

The search didn't return anything for me either, so I thought the older posts had gotten culled. I'll dig around and see if I can find anything.
spaz
Sergeant

Post by spaz »

Well, I'm glad I did a search before I posted this, as I can avoid creating a redundant thread, even if I'm bumping one that's kind of old.

Just a few minutes ago, I finished compiling the latest version of Wine, and SR2010 seems to be running fine on it. You shouldn't bother with Cedega if you don't have to--Wine is much cheaper.

The only issues I've run into are as follows:

* Music won't play. Wine's complaining about buffer lengths--I guess it's a bit more picky than Windows about that.
* Exiting the game leaves X's resolution buggered. Set SR2010 to use your desktop's resolution, or play it in a window, to avoid this.
* The software mouse cursor is invisible. You can either go through the menus with an invisible cursor to choose the hardware cursor option, or change the line in ~/.wine/system.reg from "UseHWCursor"=dword:00000000 to "UseHWCursor"=dword:00000001. Your choice.

And that's about it. The game seems to be running faster under Wine than it did under Cedega, too. Now, if I can just get Ostfront running, I can quit rebooting for good. :-)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Never hurts to remind ppl that they have options beyond Windows 8)
* Music won't play.
This may get better, worse or stay the same with update 5, there have been some changes to how the sound is handled. If you get a chance try this when update 5 comes out and let us know if it causes a compatibility issue. While we're unable to directly support a Linux version, we'd like to keep track of these things and look for opportunities to make the game as compatible as possible.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
spaz
Sergeant

Post by spaz »

Balthagor wrote:If you get a chance try this when update 5 comes out and let us know if it causes a compatibility issue.
Sure, no problem. SR2010 is one of a small handful of games that can keep my interest--there's no way I'd miss update 5, and of course I'll try to get it running on my preferred OS.
Balthagor wrote:While we're unable to directly support a Linux version, we'd like to keep track of these things and look for opportunities to make the game as compatible as possible.
That's entirely understandable. Writing code that's solid in a general sense is a realistic and attainable goal; being responsible for the Wine, Linux, and GNU codebases on top of your own is just... not as feasible. You Battlegoats had better put the learning toward a working Linux client for SR1936 (or whatever your next project will be), though, or else I'll... um... have to mess around with Wine some more, I guess. That's not much of an ultimatum, but there it is. :lol:
onerobot
Warrant Officer

Post by onerobot »

You picked a good time to try it out; a ton of DirectX patches just hit main in wine 9.15, and all of the nasty bugs are gone. At the rate things are shaping up a few months time (along with the new sound implementation in Update 5 - thanks for that, by the way) should see SR2010 running nearly as well as it does under native windows.

Have you managed to get double buffering working at all?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

onerobot wrote:Have you managed to get double buffering working at all?
For Wine or the game?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
onerobot
Warrant Officer

Post by onerobot »

Balthagor wrote:For Wine or the game?
For Wine, everything's fine on your end. I have flakey video card drivers and I'm not sure if the double buffering problem lies with them or Wine itself.

Return to “SR2010 Support”