World Map

Find support, discuss issues, report in game bugs found here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

3iff
Brigadier Gen.

World Map

Post by 3iff »

I tried this scenario (I know it's BIG) but had an immediate problem. After about a day, whenever I try to do something, the game locks up solid.

I know people have played this scenario so I suspect it's due to the huge scale of things and my system is being overwhelmed by all the units. I have played other scenarios without problems (now playing as South Africa).

Has anyone else experienced this?
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

I know what you mean...

I want to finish my British Campaign but I can't due to the amazing lock-ups...

I can run Brothers in Arms and HL2 on full Graphics but I can only just run the world map...

And I wouldn't call it playable...
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

For me, the time(actual game clock) is slowed down considerably, maybe 10% as fast as it should be, and when large forces start moving it takes a minute for my comp to catch up. Other than that it is fine.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Well, it's not that, from my actions anyway. I suspect it's either memory or a graphics overload. Not to worry.

I'm playing the Africa scenario now and THAT is big. Just fought my way partially north (Congo/Tanzania area) and units take ages to arrive from my south Africa bases... One third done, two thirds + Madagascar to go...
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Update regarding the lockups.

After reporting the lockups on the world map, I was getting serious lockups on the Africa map, and also getting strange freezes (but not lockups) in other games. BG asserted that they weren't changing any settings in the registry and so I suspected the video drivers.

I reinstalled them without any effect. I then thought maybe the system is overheating. It is oppressively hot at the moment (room is 31C, CPU around 62C) but all the fans were working and there wasn't a buildup of dust...but on closer inspection there WAS a buildup of dust around the CPU heatsink. I cleaned that away and then checked the graphics card fan. That was CHOKED with dust.

So, I've carefully removed as much dust as possible (CPU temp dropped to around 58C after that), and testing another game I had no lockups. I shall try SR2010 again tonight but hopefully my occasional system freezes and lockups are due entirely to the graphics chip overheating.

I'm normally so careful too...
isupreme
Captain

Post by isupreme »

I find the world map to be dreadfully stuttery. I can play it but only a bit so far.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

The World Map is the biggest map... with thousands of units, thousands of hexes and billions of calculations.

If you are playing this map there are several things you can try to improve your game performance.
1) Turn off your line of sight filter and any other filters.
2) Go into the graphics settings (for the game) and adjust down the settings and try it again. If it works well, feel free to go in and raise some of the settings until the performance is at a level you are fine running.
3) What programs are you running in the background? Do you have any viruses? Any Spyware or Spam? These :evil: programs :evil: all take system resources and when you are running the world map which is an extensive map, the symptoms of added clutter on your computer could pose a problem.
4) Do you have a decent amount of hard drive space. If you don't you could see problems as well.
5) Also, check to see if your in-game settings are set to save the game every day.... at the world level a game save (autosave) every day can potentially slow the "end of day" process down a bit.

Aside from all of these possibilities the world map does start with some "first day calculations" so if you start time be a bit patient and let the process begin... if your system requires it.

Return to “SR2010 Support”